California-Los Angeles
Options

Wedding Invites for people at work? (Any Nurses out there?)

So when deciding to give invitations to people at work I am stumped.  As a nurse it is hard to decide to invite people from work or not, because I know that ten people cannot request the same day off.  I do not want my friends to feel snubbed that they didn't get an invite or inconvenienced knowing that they could not come due to our work situation and obligated to buy a gift without enjoying the party. 
So if you do invite people at work how do you do it without inviting everyone? Do you invite your manager as a sign of respect? Ahh! Thanks knotties!! I need all the help and advice I can get!!

Re: Wedding Invites for people at work? (Any Nurses out there?)

• Options
    jagore08jagore08 member
    5 Love Its Combo Breaker First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    This is a tricky situation.  My advice would be to only invite the ones you are closest with.  Give them the invitation outside of work and ask them not to talk about it at work because you can't invite everyone and don't want to offend/hurt anyone.  

As for your manager, that's really up to you.  If you're close with your manager then invite her or him.  If not then I wouldn't bother.  Just make sure you keep the wedding talk to a minimum at work.
    Ignorance is a poor defense. Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Anyone you see socially outside of work, like for happy hour, would be fine to invite. Though personally, I'm not inviting coworkers. 
    my read shelf:
    Meredith's book recommendations, liked quotes, book clubs, book trivia, book lists (read shelf)
    40/112

Photobucket
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I only invited those that I'm really close to at work and I try not to talk about wedding plans while I'm here.  People know I'm getting married but they also know that we are paying for it ourselfs and we aren't going all out. As far as managers go, I am inviting mine, I do respect her but she has done a lot for me and I would be honored if she came.
    My Planning Bio - updated 4/19/10
    Our Wedding Teasers
    imageWedding Countdown Ticker
    243 invited image 170 Said YES image 45 Can't party US image 28 Haven't heard from image Invitations sent out on 4/6/10 - Our RSVP date is 5/15/10 Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I agree with the comments above.  I am not inviting any co-workers ans I never see them outside of work (no, lunch does not count as outside of work).
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    jjacobsrnjjacobsrn member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011

I am also a nurse .... inviting co-workers is a touchy situation especially in nursing because of the family atmosphere.  My coworkers all feel they deserve to be invited I am sure. However, since we are paying for it and keeping it smaller... I have asked the  8 people I have invited from work to not discuss it with others.  It will help your pairing down the guest list when they cant all ask off too.  The ones I really wanted to be there, I told WAY ahead of time and they put in vacation requests.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards