South Asian Weddings

NWR - So proud of my man!

He's turning 21 in July. His friends keep alluding to a night of drinks and parties. He doesn't want to do that. I mean, prior to meeting me he was a social/party drinker - I've heard plenty of stories - but over the last year and a half he's stopped drinking all on his own without any prodding from me. Just two weeks ago he was telling me that he wanted ME to tell his friends that he wasn't going to drink. I refused, because if I was the one to tell them that, they'd ignore it and say that I was the mean bitchy fiance who wouldn't "let" him go out and party. I told him that he had to tell his friends himself, and if they didn't want to listen, then he had to stand his ground, because they wouldn't respect it from me.

This afternoon he took me to go play with reptilian things that I'm not allowed to have till I move out of my mom's home (I was bored and wanted to get out of the house for a little while). While we were there he got a phone call from a friend. I only heard his half of the conversation, but it turned to plans for his birthday and he had to tell the friend a couple times that he didn't want to go get wasted. His exact words the last time he said no were, "You know, dude, I don't think that a person's 21st birthday should be about going and getting trashed and not remembering anything the next day. A 21st birthday should be about becoming an adult and taking on mature responsibilities."

I had been sitting on the floor watching a snake follow my finger through the glass (waiting for the shopkeeper to unlock the cage lid) when I heard him say that, and I looked up at him and just stared with a smile on my face. Not to say that I didn't think he had it in him, but it made me SO very proud to hear him say something like that out loud.
Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: NWR - So proud of my man!

• SonaliPopSonaliPop member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Glad to hear it!
  • kavita85kavita85 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Aw, you have a good reason to be proud of him. It's great that he made the decision on his own without your input. I love it when that happens...I feel like I have to nag my FI all the time. He's not a drinker (neither am I), but I wish he'd clean up after himself without me having to remind him.

And, eek..snakes kind of give me the creeps. I'm more of a person who enjoys cuddly, soft pets.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • edited December 2011
    I have plenty of soft cuddlers at home too:) Our family zoo had 20 animals at one point - 10 birds (4 parakeets and 6 finches), 6 fish, 3 dogs and a cat. We're down to just the dogs and cat now.

My mom is afrad of anything nonmammal. She tolerated the fish because they entertained the cat, and the birds were ok because she never had to see them. They lived in my sisters' rooms. But she will NOT tolerate reptiles in the least. I brought a pet snake over five years ago when I was fumigating my apartment (had to get rid of him when I moved back here) and she insisted that he stay in  the garage in his locked cage under a sheet and two heavy books for the entire five hour duration.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • kavita85kavita85 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Haha...I have 2 cats and I'm fostering an 8 week old kitten right now. I used to have parakeets a long time ago; I miss them. I don't know where my love of animals came from. Everyone else in my family hates pets! I think a lot of Indians feel the same way for some reason.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • edited December 2011
    That was very mature of your finace! I am sure it took a lot for him to say that to his friend since guys are so different from gals!

And whoa..pet snake..eep! I have a serious, serious fear of them. Like I freak out at even the mention of one...you're a brave woman!
    ExerciseMilestone
  • HinajHinaj member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Awwww, major brownie points!!!
  • edited December 2011
    Awww.. That's a great guy you have there. It speaks to his personality a lot that he wasn't pushed by the peer pressure from his friends!
    Update 6/13/2010
    June 2011 SiggyChallenge: Wedding Cake
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Bhanu&AnujBhanu&Anuj member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    That's awesome!  :)
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • mkjasanimkjasani member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    That's awesome!  And I am glad he told his friends and didn't keep asking you to after you said no.  I am sure it was hard  for him but it definitely is a sign he is mature.

As for snakes - YIKES!  I had to re-read to make sure you really said reptiles....
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards