Delaware
Options

Hair/make up and nail places

I'm from Maryland, but my wedding is in Wilmington...which means I have no idea where things are or if they're good.

I have some time, but I was just shopping around for salons. The cheapest one I found is Town and Country in Newark. I heard about them from a bridal show, and someone also recommended them to me. It's about 30 minutes from the Doubletree on 202 where we'll be staying, but I'd get free make up and the updos are only about $50. Any opinions?

I also wanted to get my nails done up there the day before. Anybody know of a good place around 202 or Naaman's Rd? My first and only manicure was for my e-pics, so I don't know much.
Anniversary

Re: Hair/make up and nail places

• Options
    edited December 2011
    I cannot stand Town and Country.  When my first hairdresser retired (back in 2004), I was recommended to go to Town and Country.  It was horrible.  I felt like I was on an assembly line- one person to take you to the washroom, one person to wash, one person to dry, one person to cut, one person to blow dry....and none of them ever talked to me.  Not to mention they nickel and dime you for everything (wash, condition, cut, dry, hair products, etc), and if you want to tip, you have to do it in cash- and if you have no cash, you have to use their ATM, which charges a $5 fee!!  Ridiculous.

My sister on the other hand loves it there, but she only gets a wet cut, washes her hair before going in, and that's it.  If you want something more than that, I would highly recommend someplace else.

We went to Trilogy the day of for my wedding.  My mom paid for my hair and MU as a part of my gift, but I believe my MU was free (with 5 girls including the bride, I think).  They did exactly what I wanted, my MU stayed all night.  My hair was kind of a mess by the end of the night, but that was my fault from several accidents. They did everything they were supposed to, me on the other hand, I was rough with it.  It stayed in and all, it just was kind of limp by the end of the night.

In terms of nails, I only go to one place, Belle Beaute on Kirkwood hwy, in the same strip mall as Kohls and ACM.  It's the only place my family goes.

I know you want something affordable, and I can understand that, beleive me- every little penny saved!  But when it comes to hair and MU, cheaper is not always better.  You want something that is going to flatter you, stay, not hurt (very important!), and be what you want.  A trick I have learned in planning- down dos are cheaper than half up/half down, which are cheaper than updos.  Don't know if that will help you at all in your planning.

Good luck!
  • Options
    Santorini2011Santorini2011 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011

I would suggest doing a trial.  You'll never know until you do.  Everyone's preferences are different on what they are looking for. 

I think Ulta might also offer wedding makeup and I thought someone said it was fairly inexpensive. It's next to the Concord Mall. Not sure if they do hair.

• Options
    edited December 2011
    It's $30 for makeup at Ulta, and they will open the store early if need be.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I went to Star Nails on Philadelphia Pike regularly.  They're good, speak and understand English (really) and very friendly.  It's only 2 turns off the Marsh Rd exit on 95.
  • Options
    edited December 2011

Ulta does do hair... price depends on the stylist.  And MBR is right, it's $30 for a makeup application.  If you need good recs at Ulta, let me know.  I work there, not as a stylist...but I know the stylists pretty well, so I know who is better at updos and things. 

As for nails... I've gone to two places that are by the Doubletree.  One is on Rt 202... it's Lee's Nails.  It's in between the Borders Books and the Happy Harry's int he shopping center with the Giant.  You keep going South on 202, and it's the next big shopping center after the hotel.

The other nail place I've been to is Bella Nails on Naamans Rd.  That's in the little shopping center with the Mexican Post, across the street from the Target.

I've had good experiences at both places.  I know at Lee nails, a mani & pedi is $35 (now, that's not artificial nails... that's a mani on your own nail.  Acrylic tips would be more.)

Paprika: I like it when you burp in my ear. It really turns me on.

Baby Beach, Aruba, 2011
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Posy Palette Blog
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I love both Le's Nails and Bella Nails (been to both).  My co-worker goes to Hot Nails (it's on Rt. 202 and Murphy Road, behind the Cumberland Farms (across from AstraZeneca.  She says they do an amazing job (she went 3 nights ago and had the Phillies logo painted on her toes).  A lot of the girls that used to work at Le's Nails went to Hot Nails.  Their phone # is 302-658-0743. 
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards