Minnesota-Minneapolis and St. Paul

Day Block Building/Spill the Wine

Hi all -
We're in the very early stages of planning and The Day Block Building (aka second floor of Spill the Wine restaurant) is a serious contender as a wedding reception (and possibly ceremony) site. Has anyone used them? What was your experience?  It's a beautiful space with a relatively low rental fee, but I'm a little concerned that having to bring in everything (tables/chairs/linens/china/etc/etc/etc) will eat up the cost savings instantly.  Is it budget friendly?

Also, if you've been to an event there, or had your own wedding there, how did you decorate?

I'd love to hear other experiences
Thanks!

Re: Day Block Building/Spill the Wine

• edited December 2011
    I don't have a specific review on this venue, just a few words of caution on the budget issue.  Our venue is very similar, basically a blank slate.  We were so in love with it that we kind of blew off how much the cost of rentals would be.  When we finally got the quotes for tables, chairs, dance floor, etc. it was more than the cost of our venue!  As you mention, this can be a total budget killer.  Definitely do your research and get quotes from rental companies before you book.
  • maybe984maybe984 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Ditto quincygirl... get quotes from rental companies before you book the venue. It also wouldn't hurt to start figuring out what caterer you're going to use, and what they provide or don't provide. Some more full-service caterers will automatically build the cost of china and basic linens into your bill, whereas some will charge you extra (and/or give you the option of renting on your own...)

From my experience, the less your venue includes in the rental price, the more economical it can be... but you have to be conscientious about what other vendors you're using.
  • kikums356kikums356 member
    First Comment First Anniversary
    edited December 2011
    I have been there for an office party, as I know the owner of the building. I don't know about the cost of renting everything separately (especially chairs and tables), but I know that it can add up. I believe that some tables and chairs are included, although I don't know how many. China and linen and things can come from your caterer, so you can at least choose a price range on them depending on who you pick.

I do have some suggestions for decorations other than the pics on the website. It would depend if you wanted it to keep it as the very urban loft feel is has now or if you want to make it a little more romantic. If you want the urban loft feeling, keep decorations very simple so that it highlights the architecture and high ceilings, maybe add some candles. If you want romantic, do fabric swags from the ceilings, paper lanterns or poms hanging from the pipes, and twinkle lights around the beams.
  • edited December 2011
    I know there was an old knottie polchick that used them on a tight budget. I think she had to do a lot of negotiation, but if you're up for the challenge it is a great spot! I recommend checking out her bio for decorations and whatnot, her wedding pictures are gorgeous! I have it bookmarked so when I get home I'll send it your way...
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.weddings.com/Sites/Weddings/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_minnesota-minneapolis-st-paul_day-block-buildingspill-wine?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local Wedding BoardsForum:81Discussion:e95bd03f-03d6-43ea-8f38-555b936c3a83Post:bde53cf7-6bb7-465b-9290-13a45dad5f95">Re: Day Block Building/Spill the Wine</a>:
    [QUOTE]I know there was an old knottie polchick that used them on a tight budget. I think she had to do a lot of negotiation, but if you're up for the challenge it is a great spot! I recommend checking out her bio for decorations and whatnot, her wedding pictures are gorgeous! I have it bookmarked so when I get home I'll send it your way...
    Posted by leggwilliams[/QUOTE]

Sorry to steal your thunder, leggwilliams :)

<a href="https://sites.google.com/site/poligettingmarried/home">https://sites.google.com/site/poligettingmarried/home</a>
    Anniversary
  • kikums356kikums356 member
    First Comment First Anniversary
    edited December 2011
    Just as a FYI, I believe that the photos in the link above were taken in the main Spill the Wine restaurant since you can see the ground floor outside, instead of the second floor upstairs space where you said you were thinking of renting. For the main floor, you would go through Spill the Wine as a caterer, but for the second floor you would go through a different website for the Day Block Building and rent it out through the owner. But it definitely gives some good decorating ideas!
  • edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_minnesota-minneapolis-st-paul_day-block-buildingspill-wine?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local Wedding BoardsForum:81Discussion:e95bd03f-03d6-43ea-8f38-555b936c3a83Post:e188de43-981c-4879-ad02-3f0257ea7ab9">Re: Day Block Building/Spill the Wine</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Day Block Building/Spill the Wine : Sorry to steal your thunder, leggwilliams :) <a href="https://sites.google.com/site/poligettingmarried/home" rel='nofollow'>https://sites.google.com/site/poligettingmarried/home</a>
    Posted by trixie549[/QUOTE]

Hahaha thanks for covering me trixie!
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • edited December 2011
    Thanks for all the great tips & suggestions, ladies! 

Quincygirl77 - do you have any suggestions for vendors to use or stay away from?

Thanks again!
  • edited December 2011
    I'm getting married in Rochester so I'm not working with any rental vendors up here, but I did look into them a little bit.  I think any of the big names such as Midway Party Rental, etc. would be good bets and have very similar pricing.  HTH.
  • HELLO! I notice your wedding date is in May, so I'm not sure if you've figured this out yet or not but the Day Block Building rents out their own tables and chairs so you don't have to get it delivered, rented, etc. I'm having my wedding there in Feb. Hope this helps you out!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards