Honeymoon Discussions
Options

Haleakala Sunrise

Alright, we're in the last stages of planning out our Hawaiian honeymoon itinerary and kind of stuck on the Haleakala sunrise. We both want to see it, but not sure how to go about this...

Dan's parents went to Maui about 5 years ago and did the bike tour (not sure about the company). Since then, I've read/heard that you can no longer bike the whole way down. We wanted to do a bike tour, but since reading Trip Advisor reviews, we are stuck on which company to go with... or if we should just drive up there ourselves, watch the sunrise, and go home. Basically, all the reviews for the sunrise bike tour companies suck. The bikes suck, people are slow, not worth the money, etc. So my questions are:

Did you do the sunrise bike tour? What company did you go with? Recommend them?

Thanks!
7/10/10 imageDandy

Re: Haleakala Sunrise

• Options
    fallbride1109fallbride1109 member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its Name Dropper First Comment
    edited June 2010
    We drove it ourselves, watched the sunrise and left.  I told my husband afterwards that I was glad we didn't pay for it.  It was nice and I'm glad we did it but it wasn't worth paying $200 and up for.  Then again, we are not bikers or anything.  I have PIB.

ETA: Oh wow, love your invites!  Exactly what I would have done if I was the least bit crafty.  Erin's invitations were the inspiration for my whole wedding.
  • Options
    I agree with stephie.  FI and I went last July and we drove it ourselves and it was awesome.  Personally, I don't think I would have enjoyed biking down.  We explored at our own pace, left when we wanted to, plus the guardrails in some areas were really low and I think I would have been nervous riding down, especially once all the cars got moving.  We were navigating around bikes all the way down -  not fun!

What I can also recommend is stopping at Komoda's Bakery in Makawao after sunrise.  Their malasadas (donuts) are AWESOME!  We went to the bakery right after Haleakala as to avoid the large crowds that go there, then we drove to Iao Valley State Park.  It was a great morning! 
    Photobucket Vacation Vacation
  • Options
    If you're outdoorsy at all, I really, REALLY recommend hiking into the crater the day before, trying to reserve one of the three cabins and then watching the sunrise from the crater. The bonus to that is you get to see the night sky from up there... and it's stellar (no pun intended). Hawai'i gets 80% of the stars from both the Northern and Southern Hemisphere. So, if you've never seen the Southern Cross or the constellations from the Southern Hemisphere, this is your chance!

http://www.nps.gov/hale
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards