Second Weddings
Options

Engagement party

Traditionally the parents throw the engagement party, but at our ages, that seems kind of silly. My parents haven't supported me for 25 years. Is it tacky to throw one for ourselves? I thought we would combine it with our birthdays (which are one day apart) and just have a engagement/birthday celebration - no gifts.

Thoughts?

Re: Engagement party

• Options
    edited December 2011
    well I guess if it's tacky then you're not getting one!  Or do you have close friends that care enough to give one to you?  I wondered the same thing, but I wasn't looking at it from the gift point of view...didn't realize gifts were given since I didn't have an engagement party with my first husband either.  I'm thinking my FI and I will not be getting one either.  I think, as long as you make it clear that it's just a party to celebrate the engagement, and let ppl know that gifts are NOT neccessary or wanted, then throw your party!  Why not? 
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    My sister and her husband hosted an engagement party for us. It is tacky to have one for yourself.
    The first thing my sister said the day we got engaged
     (12-24-08)is she wanted to have and engagement party for us, and I just wanted to wait until we were a year out from the wedding.
    We are having a  long engagement, to say the least!!!
    She had the party this last September, with family and close friends, it was wonderful!!
    We will marry in 9 months, in September of 2010.
  • Options
    edited December 2011

I would like to have one so that both of our families can get together and meet each other as my parents live 3 hours from us and my FI's family they haven't all gotten a  chance to meet yet. I wonder if i throw some subtle hints around about this to my mom if she might do it?

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards