Wedding Cakes & Food Forum
Options

Into & kid's menu question

I'm Keri and getting married 10-22-11 in Northern Michigan. I'm mostly a lurker on the boards, but new to this one. I would like to have our caterer prepare the meal (buffet style) for 300 guests as normal. But I would also like to add mac & cheese and maybe chicken nuggets for the kids. However, I would only want to have enough for say 100. She suggested putting a note near the kids portion asking that it be used for the little guests only. Has anyone done this? Is it acceptable or a total faux pas? If anyone has done this, what did you note say? Thanks so much!
Image and video hosting by TinyPic Wedding Countdown Ticker

Re: Into & kid's menu question

• Options
    edited December 2011
    Hmm. Is there a way they could just make up a kid's plate and serve them table side? Kind of like with a gluten free meal or whatever?
    my read shelf:
    Meredith's book recommendations, liked quotes, book clubs, book trivia, book lists (read shelf)
    40/112

Photobucket
  • Options
    Simply FatedSimply Fated member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its First Answer Name Dropper
    edited December 2011
    At the place I worked for, the kids stuff was usually out out on a seperate table surrounded by sodas and punch and stuff that were clearly kid-like. this doesn't mean adults didnt' eat from it ever, but it did help.

• Options
    edited December 2011
    I agree that you could make the table look kiddy by using colors or even a shorter tables for the kiddie food.
  • Options
    colourzcolourz member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Put out a separate kid's table. If it were on the same table I'd be tempted to take some chicken nuggets!
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    We're having our meal served buffet-style, but our venue plates the kids meals and gives them only to the ones who requested them, so they don't have to offer it as a buffet option.  Maybe see if your venue could do the same if they don't set up a completely different table for the kids stuff.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I like the idea of doing a little kids table waaay better than a sign. Instead of saying "Mitts off!!!" It says, "Hey kids, here's something just for you!" Bottom line is the same but the feeling is way different. Fun plastic (or paper - they have those really funny animal paper plates http://www.walmart.com/ip/Hefty-Pals-Variety-Pack-7.375-Zoo-Pals-Paper-Plates-20-ct/11027168 but that may be way more casual than you're going for), short glasses with wide bottoms so they aren't as likely to tip over and spill on everyone's nice clothes, crayons, place mats, and a table that is short enough they can reach. They'll love it.

Is 1/3 of your guest list really children, though?
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    edited December 2011

I also agree about having a kid's table.  I'm not gonna lie, little sign wouldn't keep me from stealing some of that mac and cheese.  The embarassment of having to walk over to an entirely other table surrounded by only little children would though :)

I don't think a sign is a faux pas, I just think you'll have more adults eating the kiddie food by putting it close to the adult food.

• Options
    edited December 2011
    Thanks so much for the great ideas. Not sure if that much of my guest list is really children. But my niece, who is a BM, will only eat mac & cheese, and will probably eat 4 or 5 servings of it.
    If I had my caterer plate it for those who requested it, how would I do that? We are not having assigned seating. It's not something that is done around here.
    I like the idea of setting up a table, but we're a little tight on space, so I'll have to figure that out. I was thinking of maybe having the DJ let everyone know there is a kid's meal table as well. He's a funny guy and will probably make some joke about to keep it light.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    S0095042S0095042 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_food-cakes_kids-menu-question?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special Topic Wedding BoardsForum:23Discussion:41ead38b-1ebf-486b-9cff-5504eef3f9f2Post:039062dc-439f-4ae0-99a8-88cff5a55163">Re: Into & kid's menu question</a>:
    [QUOTE] the kids stuff was usually out out on a seperate table Posted by Simply Fated[/QUOTE]

this. :)
    Anniversary
  • Options
    deb84deb84 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Craving chicken nuggets and mac'n'cheese now! lol 
    I agree with having it at a seperate table but then the parents of said children will have to go through two lines.  Most kids under...I don't know 10 maybe (not a parent yet)...need help filling their plates.  And depending on what you are serving keep in mind some kids will want the adult meal. 

FI and I LOVE to go to Valentino's on Kids' Night and we totally eat the crap out of the chicken nuggets, mac'n'cheese and smiley face tators.  Yay for Tuesday nights!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker Photobucket
  • Options
    StephieBowStephieBow member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Kids stuff should be placed on a separate table. Make it fun for them too, they'll love it!
    Anniversary image

Created by MyFitnessPal - Free Calorie Counter

• Options
    iloveu4everiloveu4ever member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its First Comment
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_food-cakes_kids-menu-question?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special Topic Wedding BoardsForum:23Discussion:41ead38b-1ebf-486b-9cff-5504eef3f9f2Post:ec36339e-e250-40f8-a45e-4d2c49b5c88d">Into & kid's menu question</a>:
    [QUOTE]I'm Keri and getting married 10-22-11 in Northern Michigan. I'm mostly a lurker on the boards, but new to this one. I would like to have our caterer prepare the meal (buffet style) for 300 guests as normal. But I would also like to add mac & cheese and maybe chicken nuggets for the kids. However, I would only want to have enough for say 100. She suggested putting a note near the kids portion asking that it be used for the little guests only. Has anyone done this? Is it acceptable or a total faux pas? If anyone has done this, what did you note say? Thanks so much!
    Posted by kcronan21[/QUOTE]

I like the sign idea

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards