Students
Options

Has anyone else been super indecisive about picking a major?

Hi, I'm Cara! I'm 19 and a college sophmore. 

I seem to really have an issue with picking a major. Well, I recently decided to be a paralegal and I'm starting classes for that this semester. But the past year and a half have been so back and forth with what I want to do. It's a scary decision to me, spending all this money on classes (it's not my money, but still don't want to be wasteful with my parents' money) and then once I graduate I feel like I'm basically stuck with that career the rest of my life. It's such a permanent decision!

When I started collge, I was like "yeah I got plenty of time to figure this out!" But once I got to my sophmore year and I needed to start taking major specific courses, it was like crap... now I really have to choose.

So I wanna know has anyone else bounced back and forth between majors? Was it a scary decision to make for you too?

Re: Has anyone else been super indecisive about picking a major?

• Options
    I had a tough time choosing as well, but it's important to remember that just because you majored in something, you aren't stuck working in that field (or enjoying other fields) for the rest of your life. 

I started out an English major, but in all my English classes, all we did was talk about racism in literature.  Every book, every class.  I didn't see how discussing the racism present in 100 year old books was actually helping anyone.  (not to down on English majors, I think my school was just weird)

Then I struggled between psychology, history, and anthropology, because I was absolutely fascinated with all three.  I realized that what I was really interested in was people, and chose psychology, because it's very diversely employable.  (I think that should be a key part of your decision)

Now I'm furthering my psych degree in an MA program, but I still read history and anthropology books in my spare time, because it's so interesting, and I enjoy them more becuase I can apply what I've learned in psychology to what I'm reading. 

My point is, even though yes, you have to choose, and that can be scary, you aren't really locking yourself into anything to serious, you will still be able to indulge in all the things you enjoy, even if only one is on your degree. 

Also, (sorry this is so long) if you change your mind later, it's not the end of the world.  FI just decided that instead of going into a PHD program, he wants to go to med school.  He has to go back (he's in an MA program right now) and take a years worth of classes to be a competitive applicant, but he's going to be able to peruse his dream.  Even if you change your mind later, you can change what you're doing.  It might involve some student loans (yuck) but those are not the end of the world. 
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_students_anyone-else-super-indecisive-picking-major?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special Topic Wedding BoardsForum:684Discussion:4e10b6d7-3440-4d31-b45e-1cf4137cd339Post:bcadd8b9-e859-446c-b9d2-f24a7d5f0ec4">Re: Has anyone else been super indecisive about picking a major?</a>:
    [QUOTE] Also, (sorry this is so long) if you change your mind later, it's not the end of the world.  FI just decided that instead of going into a PHD program, he wants to go to med school.  He has to go back (he's in an MA program right now) and take a years worth of classes to be a competitive applicant, but he's going to be able to peruse his dream.  Even if you change your mind later, you can change what you're doing.  It might involve some student loans (yuck) but those are not the end of the world. 
    Posted by Gabrielle76[/QUOTE]

This.

I would suggest picking something you really enjoy and trying that out.  Anyone can switch things up.  In fact, many people switch jobs going from one industry to another later on in life, long after college. 
  • Options
    That's very true! For the first year and a half of college I tried to put myself on a path to law school or a masters in psychology. But that was because I was receiving a lot of pressure from my dad to get a bachelors. Really I wanted to get my associates in paralegal studies or go to cosmetology school to be a hair dresser (both of which I am passionate about). 

I finally decided to really talk to my dad about it and now I'm doing the paralegal studies. I feel bad for waiting so long because the 3 semesters I already took were basically a waste of his money. And I hate that he is disappointed in me for not persuing a bachelors.

Oh and I should add that my dad has a lot of influence over which field I major in. It sucks but he does pay for all of my bills and school expenses. I'm just glad he hasn't threatened to cut me off. He tends to manipulate his kids with money.
  • Options
    edited January 2012
    yea i was in the same situation, i got to my sophmore year and thought was starting to panic because i wasnt sure if i should go with graphic design (my current major) or not. i took every class you could think of like, history, sociology, philosophy, and ect because i doubted if i really wanted to do graphic design or not  but im doing it now and love it! so i would say just go with your gut and dive right into it and if you really want to change your major then dont feel bad for it because in the end you should be doing what you love doing. hope this helps!
  • Options
    Don't worry about it, I didn't pick a major until I was a junior and I still managed to graduate on time.  I went to an amazing college that allowed you to change a major up until graduation, so a lot of students were in the same boat.   I came in as political science, cognitive science, and pre-med.  I dropped my cognitive science major after the first day of class.  A few weeks later, I dropped the pre-med.  I flirted with pre-law, history, anthropology, and psychology.  After taking a religious studies class, I absolutely fell in love with it, but still felt bad about dropping pre-med because my parents really wanted me to be a doctor.  Eventually, I got over the guilt and don't regret my decision at all. 

I have so many other interests besides religion like history, politics, and philosophy, so I ended up getting degrees in those too!  I have a B.A. in religious studies and political science, a Masters in Bioethics, and am working on a Masters in History. Next year, I'll start a PhD in Religious Studies.  I realized I really love medicine, so I'm going to go to med school.  I know that I'm absolutely crazy and will be in debt up to my eyeballs, but I really love what I'm doing and that is the most important part.

If you end up not liking paralegal studies, don't feel obligated to stay with it.  You work a lot harder for things you actually enjoy doing.  Your parents might be paying for it, but you're the one doing the work.  I think it's really hard to pick what you're supposed to do for the rest of your life when you're so young.  You might want to check to see if your school has any interdisciplinary programs or if there is an option to create your own major.  Plus, there's always the option of being a double major or getting a minor.  Soak up every minute of undergrad, it goes by so fast. Try not to stress out too much, I promise that everything eventually does fall in to place. Good luck! 
  • Options
    I was super indecisive. I always joked about being about 4 classes away from EVERY profession imaginable. I actually did the 'cart/horse' thing and found my career and then matched my school up to it (I don't recommend this- it's very expensive and time consuming!! lol)

I'm not trying to worry you, but I have a dear friend who has a degree in Anthropology from A&M and hasn't landed a job in over 3 years. I would suggest if you are going to do something with a specific niche, definitely chase it and find a foot in the door while in college either through internships or something.  

Don't sweat it, though. I do suggest that you pick something that is more general, if you can't agree on something you absolutely love. I wanted to switch my degree to every fun class I took. Not.Good. Seems like you might be doing the same thing. I had to try to picture what I see myself doing, and then finding something in that general area. Companies just want to know that you can jump through the hoops and follow through. (This does not apply to med students, architects, engineers, accts, lawyers or other very specific professions lol!) I'm mostly referring to admin, business administration, management...that kind of thing.

:)
  • Options
    edited January 2012
    I know it's tough to decide on what you want to do with your career when you've never done it before.  Ask yourself this... what is something you have a passion for that you'd be upset if you were never able to pursue it?  Also, have you ever taken a career aptitude test?  It might be worth asking you academic advisor about.

I myself stayed within my major of aeronautics, but I did change my major concentration after my freshman year, and went from aeronautical engineering to flight technology.  I got some flight experience my second semester, fell in love with flying, and decided that I'd rather fly airplanes than engineer them.  And even now, I've started to think about other jobs within the field.  I still am very passionate about flying, but other career opportunities within aviation, aside from being a commercial pilot, have crossed my mind.  You don't have to pick a job and stay with it your whole career.  It's ok if you do decide that you want to try something new for a change.  As you get older, you'll experience new things and develop passions for new things.  That being said, I do agree with the PPs in that if you can't decide on what field to study and work in, choose a degree that will make you marketable to employers from multiple career fields in case your interests change.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    I had a lot of problems picking a major. I swear it was something different every week. And part of the problem was my parents giving their opinions a little too strongly and therefore making decisions for me. I ended up withdrawing from my university right after I got married and switched to an online program and I'm finally happy. I had to get a point where I realized it was about me and no one else.
    Pregnancy Ticker
    2010: 41 books, 2011: 31 books, 2012: 100 books
  • Options
    I am so glad I found this conversation!! I was just thinking about what I'm going to do, feeling the EXACT same way as Cara. I started college 2 summers ago, and I was dead set on photography. Once I got into the program, I figured out it wasn't for me. I had what my boyfriend called "a quarter-life crisis", and decided to switch schools. I have stuck at the technical school I'm at now, but keep switching what I want to major in and where I eventually want to transfer. I think I finally decided to move back home and go to the college in my hometown, but my boyfriend really doesn't want to go back. Its a small town with everyone (especially our moms) always in our business, but it seems like the best place for me to go to school. I don't know if I should do what I want for me, and make my boyfriend suffer for 2 years while I finish school, or if we should look somewhere else where I won't be happy. I seriously think I'm shedding years off my life with all this stress.
  • Options
    I picked my first major based on need. I needed to get through college quickly, cheaply, and be able to make decent money afterward. I majored in Medical Assisting, got a two year associate's degree from the University of Cincinnati, and worked as an MA for three years.

THEN I returned to nursing school - with experience and money.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    edited February 2012
    I spent one year as a geology major.
    I spent five years as an astrophysics major.
    I spent one summer as a business major.
    I spent one semester as an accounting major.
    I spent two years as an economics major.

I eventually ended up graduating with an economics degree.
    I worked in finance for two years until I recently quit.
    Now I plan on going to culinary school.

So yes, I have been super indecisive!
    PitaPata Cat tickers Anniversary
  • Options
    I just had to make the decision to switch majors, as a junior.
    I had been set on being a film major since my freshman year of high school, but after 2 years of taking classes in the program, I wasn't happy with it or what I was learning, and I was starting to get scared of being able to get a decent job when I graduate.
    I never, ever wanted to be the person that wasted so much time and money by switching majors, but I made the decision to switch to advertising this week.
    I am using all of the credits I've gotten in film to make a film minor, so I'm not wasting a whole lot of classes. 
    I was terrified that my parents would be upset with me, particularly because they are paying for the vast majority of my education. They were actually incredibly supportive, though. They said they are happy that I realized what I was doing wasn't working, and that I solved the problem.
    It will take me an extra year to graduate, but I'm happy that it will be with a degree I feel is more fullfilling, and honestly it gives me more time to grow up (I don't find myself immature, but aspects of the real world do scare me) and plan my future and my future with my boyfriend.
    So yeah, it is scary but it's not the end of the world to change your mind. Just do what you feel is best and try to be economical with any major specific classes you might waste (like by putting them towards a minor or using them as electives)
  • Options
    When I was applying to colleges, I was an intended Psychology major.
    After deciding on what college I would go to, I switched to English Elementary Education.
    A few weeks before the start of classes, I switched to a Japanese Language and Culture major.
    At the end of the semester, I was too stressed with Japanese and, at my dad's recommendation, became a Marketing major.
    That lasted over Christmas break. Before classes started again, I switched into Biology/Pre-Med.
    Now I don't know what I want to do, but I'm considering Psychology, Hotel and Restaurant Management, and Interior Design.

All of these fields (except Marketing) interest me. I don't know what to do now, and it's actually making me want to drop out of school, or take a semester off of school. I suppose we'll see!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards