Arkansas

Step-parents

Both of my parents are remarried.  My mother has been remarried about 15 years and my dad has been remarried for about 2  years.

Honestly, I dont like either step parent, but my mother insists that my step-father have a role and I kinow his feelings will be hurt if he isnt included.I want my own father to walk me down the isle, and in reality my step-father thinks we have more of a father daughter relationship than we actually do.  

Also, I am picking out / coordinating the MOB and MOG's dresses so they dont clash with my colors and style.  My mom thinks I need to include my step mother in this as well.

My fiance and I have already selected our attendents and ushers.  Neither of us is involving reletives of the other in their selections (ie. my friends are my attendents and his friends are his attendents).

Suggestions to keep the peace?

Re: Step-parents

• Oh, the step-parent dilemma.  I have a stepmother and we had issues when my sister got married.  I put the kabosh on them way before my wedding.  My mom is the only one who caused issues because she didn't want my stepmom included at all. 

I helped my mom pick out her dress mainly because she's not very fashion oriented and I was worried about what she might come up with and I didn't want her to be underdressed or clash.  My MIL, stepmom, and my husband's stepmom all picked out their own clothes.  If you are turning the dress shopping into an event and your stepmom might feel left out, what is the harm in inviting her?  At least give her the option. 

When my stepsister got married, she had both my dad and her dad walk her down the aisle, but my dad pretty much raised her since her dad lived out of state.  Since your stepdad has been a part of your life for a number of years, I can see why he might feel like he deserves a bigger role.  How does your dad feel about your stepdad?  Would he be okay with you having a dance with your stepdad? 

This website has some good ideas.  http://www.ehow.com/about_6725303_wedding-etiquette-step_parents.html

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards