Registry and Gift Forum

Did anyone else get mostly money at their shower?

So my shower was today.  It was mostly my side of the family.  FI's family is having one where we live now. (I live a few hours away from my hometown.)  It was way fun and my Mom did a GREAT job. 
I know I'm venting a bit..but I got mostly random cards with 20 bucks in them.  I would have much rather had more gifts to open, as I felt weird just opening up a stack of cards. (I got about 6 gifts total..there were 25 people there.) 

Did anyone else get mostly money at their shower? Whenever I go to a shower I always bring a gift (I give money at the wedding.) 
Sorry If I sound whiney..I def. am very grateful.  But now my FI says ...oh we'll juse use the money for when we go to the beach next weekend. (I would prefer to purchase items off my registry since we really do NEED some items on there.)

Re: Did anyone else get mostly money at their shower?

• teachermegsteachermegs member
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited May 2011
    Save the money and purchase the items that you need and you don't get as gifts off of your registry.
  • Wouldn't you rather have $$ instead of duplicates of the same gifts or things that you already have? I would just buy the things off of your registry that you wanted with the cash you recieved.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • That's a bummer. I would feel weird opening a bunch of cards with money, too. I agree you should save the money to buy things you need from the registry.
    imageDaisypath Wedding tickers
  • THat's odd that you had more GC/cash than boxed presents.  I've never understood people giving GCs and cash for a shower.  It's so, IDK, opposite? of what a shower is about, kwim?
    The Bee Hive Est. June 30, 2007
    "So I sing a song of love, Julia"

BFAR:We Defined Our Own Success!

• I've never actually been to a shower where the majority of gifts were cash/gc in cards.

I find that odd as well.
    "Trix, it's what they/our parents wanted. Why so judgemental? And why is your wedding date over a year and a half ago? And why do you not have a groom's name? And why have you posted over 12,000 posts? And why do you always say mean things to brides?" palegirl146
  • Very strange, the point of a shower is gifts (mostly).  My family always does physical gifts for the shower and the "flat gifts" for the wedding.  I would've felt very uncomfortable opening a lot of cards.  However, I would kind of see it as a bonus that I could use coupons/sales plus the shower money to get registry items for as cheap as possible.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Wow, that's odd, and awkward as PPs said. My church threw a shower for me today and there were only a handful of cards with gift cards or cash and a couple of those were from people not actually attending the shower. Everything else was physical gifts.
  • I wouldn't mind getting money rather than gifts however I would be ticked off if most people chose to give me cash for the shower on my FI side of the family considering I only registered because of them. I was told by FMIL to register so people can give me gifts. My shower is 1 week away and so far only 3 people bought something from registry.

• In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_registering-gifts_did-anyone-else-mostly-money-their-shower?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:34Discussion:4c024e45-907a-41ce-b948-8cb343122479Post:8e5c88b0-b134-4cbb-ba11-1cd210637339">Did anyone else get mostly money at their shower?</a>:
    [QUOTE]So my shower was today.  It was mostly my side of the family.  FI's family is having one where we live now. (I live a few hours away from my hometown.)  It was way fun and my Mom did a GREAT job.  I know I'm venting a bit..but I got mostly random cards with 20 bucks in them.  I would have much rather had more gifts to open, as I felt weird just opening up a stack of cards. (I got about 6 gifts total..there were 25 people there.)  Did anyone else get mostly money at their shower? Whenever I go to a shower I always bring a gift (I give money at the wedding.)  Sorry If I sound whiney..I def. am very grateful.  But now my FI says ...oh we'll juse use the money for when we go to the beach next weekend. (I would prefer to purchase items off my registry since we really do NEED some items on there.)
    Posted by enkmetz[/QUOTE]

No, I've never been to a shower where more people gave cash than gifts.  Usually there are lots of presents.

Question:  was your registry insanely expensive?  That's the only reason I can think that people didn't shop off it.  Although even still, i would have brought a smaller present, not cash.  Is this normal in your family circle?  Weird.

I'd save the money to buy a few things you really want off your registry. If you just use it like normal cash, you probably won't remember what you spend it on.  It is kind of nice to have a few things that you can remember were "from the shower".  You must have gotten at least $400 from the shower, that should definitely cover some essentials from your registry.
  • It's a bit unusual for most people, though I know in my family, money is just as common as physical presents so to speak. But as you seem surprised, I'm going to go with that's not the case in your family. Maybe people are waiting to give you physical gifts at the wedding??
  • doeie04doeie04 member
    Combo Breaker First Comment
    You should save the money for after the wedding.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • No.
    DH and I go to a lot of weddings, and I go to a lot of showers (we're both teachers), and I have never heard of anyone giving cash at a shower.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards