Hawaii

Long shot questions: condos & activities/places/beaches for toddlers/babies

Ooookay, here's my long shot in the dark, but is anyone familiar with any of the following three properties (I'll make 'em clicky)? We're looking to book several units for a family reunion either in May '13 or August '14 (my family does some serious long distance planning)

Makena Surf
Maalaea Surf Resort
Hale Pau Hana

And, as part two to the question, as Phil and I will have the Squiglet as either a 10 month old or a two year old for the first time, I'm looking for feedback for baby/toddler friendly beaches to play at. We usually stay in Kahana on Maui, but I've read that the beaches on the south coast are better for little ones.

Re: Long shot questions: condos & activities/places/beaches for toddlers/babies

• :O

I don't know anything about any of those resorts, but I think Kihei is a much more convenient area for access to stores & groceries.  Maalaea was a bit 'further' from what I remember.  So, for pure location, I'd recommend Hale Pau Hana.  We stayed at the Kamaole Sands right there and it was so convenient to walk to everything.

The beaches in Makena are pretty nice in the early morning, but I think the afternon was unbearably windy to the point you were getting sandblasted in your face.  We had to leave the beach a few times.  This was in early July, and I think it was nice mornings, windy afternoons.  :P  It may be different in May.
  • Ooh, blowing sand, huh? Good to know!
  • Agreed I stayed in Kihei when I was in Maui, just up the street from where Tanq had stayed.  The early mornings were so nice, and quiet.  But in the afternoons the winds could kick up and sand blast you.  I was talking to some locals and they were telling me the trade winds kick in around this time.  So August may be different, but I had done some diving in Wailea and the small coves down there were perfect for families.  Hale Pau Hana is actually a few yards from the condo I stayed in.  I swam/SUP at Kamaole Beach 1, and I had my young neice with me.  We brought her out between 9 am till 11 am for beach time (small to no waves) and then the pool in the afternoons.  Hope that helps.
  • If you want lots of grass for the kids to play on and a really awesome pool, check out the Kihei Surfside (that's where we stayed).  there were a ton of young families there.  Wind picks up in the afternoon, so you'd want to get to the beach in the morning (there is an awesome beach right nextdoor) and the pool is perfect in the afternoon.

With Regards to beaches, Makena beach is a bit more sheltered than some other ones, I noticed.....great for young kids....just watch the current cause the waves can pick up in the afternoon.  I also agree with motoLyn about the small coves in Wailea....gorgeous spots to take families! :)

June 2012 August Siggy Challenge: Favourite Pro Pic (I couldn't choose just one!)
    imageDaisypath Vacation tickers Daisypath Vacation tickers Follow Me on Pinterest
  • Awesome. You guys are fantastic resources!
  • We are planning on staying at Kamaole Sands partly because they have grassy areas and a toddler pool. My brother has three under the age of 4yrs so we were trying to make it easy on them. Our condo is also on the ground floor. Partly to watch the kids while we bbq but also so we can have access to the food and drinks. AKwinter bride helped a lot with this site and my planning. You might want to check it out our ask her questions as this is our first time staying there but I know she stays there often. 
  • My uncle stayed there and really liked it. His only criticism was that it's a bit of a walk to the closest beach and they actually preferred our beach to theirs anyways but aside from that, he loved it. He's stayed there a few times.

June 2012 August Siggy Challenge: Favourite Pro Pic (I couldn't choose just one!)
    imageDaisypath Vacation tickers Daisypath Vacation tickers Follow Me on Pinterest
  • My family always stayed at Mana Kai Maui- the units are really nice and the beach is amazing.  It's been at least 10 years since we've stayed there, but I think the place is still wonderful.  There is a pool and a mile long beach for little Squiglets.

Recently, my fiance and I stayed at the Napili Bay Resort- only studios, but the beach was extremely family friendly.  Lots of other places to stay besides Napili Bay.  Kapalua Beach is great as well.  I've know people who stayed in the Villas if you can afford it and loved it for their families.

Hope that helps!
  • I've never stayed at any hotels when I've been there but, I do know that you would be better of in Kihei. You will be close to everything, airport, grocery store, Walmart, Costco etc. Also a good beach to go to is "secret beach" or Makenna cove, it is small and not flooded with people (not many tourists know about it, more locals). There is a spot that has rocks that block the waves that come in (which aren't very big already) there are little tide pools, my son and cousins (my son was 13 months, cousins: 3&9 months) had a blast. There were times when fish would get in the tide pools and swim at there feet. I only know how to get there from Kihei.. Take Piilani Hwy. 31. Drive through Wailea to Makena. Drive just past the last entrance to Makena beach. You will see a rock wall with a blue beach access sign. It's not far. Also Napili Kai is another great family, child friendly beach, close to Lahina.
    He stole my heart... So I'm stealing his last name.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards