Military Brides

What are your thoughts

I'm a former Navy Wife and although I feel for this couple, I don't really agree with them either. 

http://news.yahoo.com/military-sham-marriages-got-marines-housing-money-125247001.html

CN: A lesbian couple (marine and civilian) wants to live together off base.  Marine half marries another marine to collect housing money.  Civilian half also marries a marine to collect some more housing money. 

I don't care about the same-sex aspect of it.  That is a whole different debate.  I'm upset about the defrauding the system part.  I get that they want to live together off base and be a family, but how does that allow them the right to basically "steal" money?  I want a lot of things, but I know as a grownup that I don't always get what I want. 

I also know that military pay sucks and without the housing allowance it is very hard financially to live off base. 

What are your thoughts on this matter? 

Re: What are your thoughts

• kyrgyzstankyrgyzstan member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    edited December 2011
    FI and I would love to live together of base. He's been in for ten years and when he lat moved, they stopped his single rate BAH. He had HHG, a dog, me, etc. He applied for a special exemption, and it took 3 months. So for three months, he was living in a junior enlisted room in the barracks, with another guy. We weren't living together. It sucked. What did they end up giving him? He lives in junior enlisted married housing. That doesn't allow pets. That technically doesn't allow me. I have to get a pass to go visit him. He's not allowed to take his BAH anywhere else. We lived together previously, we've been together three years. It sucks. But we didn't want to just jump into a marriage for BAH. 

So no, I have no sympathy. FI outranks all three of those idiots, and he wasn't getting BAH either. Corporal Vice should have just kept plugging away at her MCIs, gone to Corporal's course, been a stellar freaking Marine, and she could have gotten promoted and applied for single rate BAH. I'm a super liberal, and while I think it's wrong that she can't enter into a rushed, idiotic marriage with the person she loves like all of FI's neighbors, but she's a Marine. She must abide by the law, and essentially stealing money from the DOD means she deserves what she gets.

I hate Dave Ramsey
  • calindicalindi member
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Yeah, you ladies basically summarized my view on it.  I thought to post the article myself, so I'm glad someone did!

They're breaking the rules.  Are the rules unfair?  In my opinion, yes.  But that's not the point - they're Marines, so they follow orders.  It's not their place to deceive their employer and the government and the taxpayers.  Work within the system rather than outside it.  Like Stan said, rise up through the ranks and earn single BAH and then live off base.  Or now that DADT is repealed, become poster children for the need to extend marital benefits to gay couples on the basis of equality and non-discrimination.

But the elimination of DADT is a great first step, and I was staying with FI when his colleagues all got the DADT repeal instructions - basically what to prosecute as JAGs and what they're going to ignore, and at what time frame.  It isn't perfect, but it's a good start.  Effective immediately, they're just ignoring orientation.  If someone walks into a recruiters office and announces, "I'm gay!" the recruiter will likely say, "What's your name?" and ignore the rest.  There are no more Administrative Separations for being gay. Hopefully within a few years, they'll offer gay service members more equal rights. That will likely come after a national recognition of gay marriage, though. They don't offer dependent BAH to Marines in a serious relationship, so there's no reason until gay couples are married that they will feel it necessary to extend to gay couples.  It's not fair, because it's not as easy for gay couples to be married, and it's not nationally recognized, but it's a learning process.  And as Marines, they know the Marine Corps isn't perfect but will always provide for their basic needs.  Is it inconvenient?  Heck yes, but so is being in a relationship with a Marine in the first place.

Likely they'll offer off base BAH for gay married couples to live off base and not allow them on base at first.  That's just my guess - they tend to have some rather conservative folks in the military and I don't think they'd want to muddy their Pleasantville setting with two women or two men living in marital bliss next door. It's a shame, but it's true.

Anniversary

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards