Wedding Ceremony & Reception Music Discussions

Live band vs. DJ????

My mom thinks a live band would be best for the wedding but the prices are very high. I'm ok with a DJ but she wants a band. Which is best and why

Re: Live band vs. DJ????

• cmp1986cmp1986 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Well I don't think ones better than the other. They both have pros and cons.

DJ: Pros- They can play music and take a break at the same time
                     You get to hear the original song/ sung by the person or band
                     They cost a lot less than a band

Cons- They can come off as cheesy
                     They can be overly talkative

Band:  Pros- You can have a certain type of music played
                         They might be able to get the party going (singer getting the crowd going)
                        Very nice for a formal event

Cons- They cost a lot of money
                          They have to stop playing music to take a break
                          You only hear one person singing every song

I'm not much help on Bands because I don't/can't really think of any pros. But just pick which ever you think would fit your style better.
  • Jackie0227Jackie0227 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Thank you both so much! I am just starting to plan the wedding and don't even know where to begin. My mom just happen to hear about the band and mentioned it. I always thought DJ was the way to go. 
  • henrygomes24henrygomes24 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Look at DJ Freddy's website www.danceallnightdjs.com great DJ and MC.
  • melb2013melb2013 member
    5 Love Its Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I'm a professional musician- I play weddings as a part of my living.  But I'm not having a band for my wedding because the good ones are too expensive.  There are cheaper ones out there, but they often aren't very good and I'm super picky.  I'm having a DJ for the reception, but I'm also having a live singer (my former professor from college) and a piano player for the ceremony, cocktail hour, and first dance song.  This is much more cost effective, but I still get fantastic live music!

May 2013 February Siggy: Invitations

Wedding Countdown Ticker

• Jackie0227Jackie0227 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    i looked into DJ Freddy.... the problem is.... I live ins California. lol... thank you so much though....

Melb2013, thank you for the great tip!!! i have a friend with an awesome voice.... maybe i can ask her to sing for our first dance. Genius idea!!!
  • jfernandes86jfernandes86 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I'm having the same dilemma.  You can't beat a DJ price, but I really want a live band to play at the wedding.  I'm interested in using a band I saw at a friend's wedding who is SUPER reasonably priced compared to other wedding bands I priced.  The only thing i'm worried about is the "master of ceremonies" part.  I don't think the band leader did a great job of announcing different events during the reception (cake cutting, bouquet toss, etc.)..i think an experienced DJ would be better in this regard.  but right now i'm stuck in indecisive mode...

the links posted on this thread are very helpful.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards