Students

MY SCHOOL IS KILLING MY WALLET!

OMG, So i went to purchase my casebooks for the upcoming semester & spent $300 dollars on 2 used books from the bookstore. They don't release the booklists until the last minute, so you have virtually no time to order books online. The Profs expect you to do a crap-ton of reading before the 1st day, and not being prepared for class in law school often leads to: humiliation, being kicked out of class, being the target of the professor's wrath in the future, and/or points off your final grade. So not getting these insanely over priced books today was simply not an option. I still have one more class to get books for because the bookstore ran out. Oh and did I mention book vouchers aren't available until after classes start! SheSincerely is NOT A HAPPY CAMPER!

But anyway. . . just venting! Have a great semester ladies!
LilySlim Weight loss tickers someecards.com - It's not what you do for me on Valentine's Day that matters but the amount of jealousy it provokes in others NEY Feb. Siggy Challenge: Non-Romantic Valentines Day Cards

Re: MY SCHOOL IS KILLING MY WALLET!

• mrandmrsbristmrandmrsbrist member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited January 2012
    We just bought H's books today...Thank God for Amazon. Literally.
    Pregnancy Ticker
    2010: 41 books, 2011: 31 books, 2012: 100 books
  • Does your school library participate in Inter-Library Loan? Because I'm freakin' broke, and as soon as I get book lists posted I order books through ILL if I can't get them from my own school's library (aand I usually can't). Free books! Which is awesome, because the thought of spending 350$ for my three-week-long Janterm class made me want to cry.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
    140 invited -- 118 are ready to party! -- 27 can't make it

• MMRoberts11MMRoberts11 member
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited January 2012
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_students_school-killing-wallet?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special%20Topic%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:684Discussion:0ab61a3b-34a0-4a71-bf22-b200456c382cPost:9a2b9a10-71d0-4a22-883b-106abd2f3356">Re: MY SCHOOL IS KILLING MY WALLET!</a>:
    [QUOTE]Does your school library participate in Inter-Library Loan? Because I'm freakin' broke, and as soon as I get book lists posted I order books through ILL if I can't get them from my own school's library (aand I usually can't). Free books!
    Posted by xxstardust[/QUOTE]

I do this every chance I can.  It helped me save SO much money.
  • What my school's library does is keep 1 textbook for each class on reserve in the library. This is often not very helpful during the 1st couple weeks of class because everyone is fighting for it. I believe my school participates in an ILL program to some extent but I'm not sure how it would help me with the the textbook situation. 
    LilySlim Weight loss tickers someecards.com - It's not what you do for me on Valentine's Day that matters but the amount of jealousy it provokes in others NEY Feb. Siggy Challenge: Non-Romantic Valentines Day Cards
  • I compare prices between the school's book store, the Kindle and Amazon before I ordered. But I understand what you mean about teachers waiting until the last second to post books. That's what happened to me right before Fall semester started with a few of my classes.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_students_school-killing-wallet?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special%20Topic%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:684Discussion:0ab61a3b-34a0-4a71-bf22-b200456c382cPost:3f77ecb7-d65f-4414-9e61-53c1f34a0ea5">Re: MY SCHOOL IS KILLING MY WALLET!</a>:
    [QUOTE]Is there a return period for textbooks? My school has that so that if you end up dropping a class you're not stuck with the book - but I use it to buy the books, order a cheaper version, and then return the original book when a cheap one arrives :)
    Posted by cebrady89[/QUOTE]

<div>Ditto. </div>
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_students_school-killing-wallet?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special%20Topic%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:684Discussion:0ab61a3b-34a0-4a71-bf22-b200456c382cPost:3f77ecb7-d65f-4414-9e61-53c1f34a0ea5">Re: MY SCHOOL IS KILLING MY WALLET!</a>:
    [QUOTE]Is there a return period for textbooks? My school has that so that if you end up dropping a class you're not stuck with the book - but I use it to buy the books, order a cheaper version, and then return the original book when a cheap one arrives :)
    <div>
    </div><div>Return Period? Ha! I wish! Unfortunately, My school does not allow any returns or exchanges on used books. It doesn't even matter if you just bought it the same day and have the receipt. I didn't even look at the new books, because if the used ones were running me $150 ea. then I knew I couldn't even afford to get the new ones even for the sake of not being stuck with them.  </div>
  • You could always try selling them on half.com, or amazon.com after the term ends. :)
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_students_school-killing-wallet?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special Topic Wedding BoardsForum:684Discussion:0ab61a3b-34a0-4a71-bf22-b200456c382cPost:3f77ecb7-d65f-4414-9e61-53c1f34a0ea5">Re: MY SCHOOL IS KILLING MY WALLET!</a>:

I think most schools do this.
  • While i have never tried, I have known people that are renting their textbooks.  Most school bookstores will do this, and I've noticed the prices are alot less.  Unfortunately most of my textbooks I know I'm going to want to hang onto for a while for reference, but I do love Amazon. 
    PersonalMilestone Daisypath Anniversary tickers image
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards