Wedding Cakes & Food Forum
Options

CARNIVAL FOOD?

My fiance and I are thinking of doing carnival/fair food for our reception but we're having trouble figuring out how to pull it off to where it's fun and not cheap looking. Any ideas?

I seriously cant see us doing a buffet or other traditional food. We want everything to reflect our "style" we want everyone to have fun and enjoy everything. But we don't want it to look cheap. 

Re: CARNIVAL FOOD?

• Options
    laurenbergherlaurenbergher member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Serving carnival food is a lot like serving down home comfort food.  A mini grilled cheese seems so much nore sophisticated if it's made with a different kind of cheese.  Similarly, mini corn dogs with a chipotle dipping sauce is the dressed up, grown up version of a carnival corn dog.  Changing one ingredient can make a food seem new and gourmet.  Go for something interactive along side it, like a live action cotton candy station or funnel cake station. 
  • Options
    MommyMarta08MommyMarta08 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I would do different  interactive stations coupled with servers passing around fun mini food (like the fancy corndogs, sliders w/ milkshakes, etc.) you can have a station doing the fire-roasted chili-lime corn on the cob, maybe another doing italian sausage and peppers and other carnival type food. Dessert can be the most fun. In addition to your cake, I would have a frozen lemonade stand, cotton candy, candy apples, pop corn machines w/ old fashioned popcorn tubs. It should be really fun and interactive. 
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Just to consider: this may not actually be cheaper than a standard meal. It's certainly fun though!
  • Options
    mysticlmysticl member
    First Anniversary First Answer First Comment 5 Love Its
    edited December 2011
    That is such a cute idea.  I LOVE carnival food.  Maybe set up stations.  Have the presentation done with a little flair.  Like all the awesome carnival sandwiches.  Have the components on a plate to eat with a knife and fork rather than on a bun.  Funnel cake fries fresh made, popcorn set out in fancy bowls, a apple/caramel dish rather than caramel apples on a stick, etc. 
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I agree with mystic about an alternative to candy/caramel apples. Sticky mess and dress clothes don't go well together!
  • Options
    _Dagney__Dagney_ member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Sounds cute.  Please tell me it isn't a black tie wedding though.  As long as you are planning a relatively casual reception, I say go for it!
  • Options
    geekyhostessgeekyhostess member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    You might want to check out http://www.unicornseattle.com/ for some menu inspiration. It's a bar in Seattle that serves versions of carnival food, but they do a great job of making it a little bit different, and dressing up the names of the items. 

I think the idea sounds like a lot of fun--let us know how it turns out!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker White Knot Check out my blog musings at: www.geekyhostess.com
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    At the carnivals around here, some other favorites besides corndogs are:

Pierogies
    Steak on a stick
    Stromboli
    Gyros
    Elephant ears
    Lemonade

and the list goes on. You could def do like kabobs with sauces, since most fair foods are on a stick. A build-your-own gyro station would be kind cool too! We were thinking about the carnival thing too, our reception is at  very germanic-cottage lookin place and we're very casual and laid back people. 
    Trust your heart, love knows the way. Pregnancy Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards