Wedding Recap and Withdrawal

Question about changing my name...

Is a name change service worth it?  Has anyone here used one?  I'd love to hear about your experience.
Stephanie and Bobby
September 4th, 2011
Planning Bio
RSVP Date July 15th
image 325 Made the cut!
image 80 Are ready to hora! image 62 Are missing out! image 183 Are making me crazy!
Wedding Countdown Ticker

Re: Question about changing my name...

• I didn't use one, and really didn't have any problems.  We hand brought out marriage license down to the city clerk to have it processed the Monday after our wedding because H needed to submit it to the military.  And we paid an extra $10 to get a second official copy.  So we had it right away and I was able to go to social security with it that week to change it.  Then I slowly changed everything else.  A few things I needed to send a copy of the license in, but that was it.  A lot of credit card changes can be done online now too.

So I guess I'm not good for answering if it was worth it, but I can easily say I don't regret not doing it.
    imageBabyFruit Ticker
  • I didn't use a service and it was pretty easy to change my name on my own.
  • I did not use a service either and was able to get everything changed with relative ease. I made a handful of copies of our marriage certificate in case it was needed, and the gas company had me fill out a form, but other than that, I didn't have any problems.
    Crosswalk
  • megk8ozmegk8oz member
    First Comment
    edited November 2010
    I used a service, and I'm not going to lie, it was kind of a rip-off. Basically, the service just lets you download the forms you need, but you still have to fill them out and mail them in or present them yourself-but these are all forms you can get just by going to Social Security or wherever you're doing the changes.

And at the DMV, I presented the one form and was given a new one to fill out again, anyway, because the service gave me an out of date version of the form. I was a bit annoyed by that.

If you fire a WP member, you're against America.

"Meg cracks me up on the regular. Now she gets to do it in two different forums. Yay!!" ~mkrupar
  • did not use service.....printed forms needed for Soc Securiy Office and the DMV.  Show up with appropriate identification and Voila!  Done!  The amount of time it takes depends on the lines at the offices. With paperwork already filled out, it goes really smoothly!  My advice...got first thing in the morning!
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards