June 2013 Weddings

planning a wedding during college

I'm finishing up my sophomore year of college in a few weeks, and our wedding is planned for June of 2013, after we graduate. Does anyone have advise on how I can plan a wedding during college when I don't go to school in the same city I will be married in? Two years seems like a long time, but considering I'll be in school for 12 of those months, and possibly in Italy next summer for one month, I really don't have that much time! Any advise would be very helpful!!

Re: planning a wedding during college

• I'm going through the same thing right now! The best advice I can think to give you is hire a wedding planner if it is in the budge, they will take care of all the details, vendors, and make sure everything is taken care of in a timely manner. Also, if you have parents or other family living in your hometown that are willing to go talk to vendors for you that will also help! Hope this helped.

Good Luck to you in school and planning!
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers
  • Ha, FH and I will be planning our wedding during our final year of grad school (Yikes) but we will be getting married in the city we go to school in so it'll be easier.

In your case, I agree with LindzMarie, sending some family delegates to meet with vendors would be a good idea. If you're like me and a bit of a micro-manager (I need to taste every sample and view every venue in person, lol) I'd say set aside money specifically for taking trips to the city you're getting married in and making plans (assuming it's not too far) This can be done on breaks or long weekends. Make sure you have a notebook and take good notes, since you may only get one or two chances to meet with each vendor in person.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    Anniversary
  • I agree too. My family, FH, and FILs all live in our city so it helps. How far away is it from you? Going there during breaks helps if you have a plan in motion. i'd say look up as much as you can online so you have some more ideas. Good luck!

Wedding Countdown Ticker
    Feb13 Siggy Challenge
  • There are several things you can do when planing in another city.  I would highly recommend scheduling at least three trips to the city and do your research before hand!

Make the first trip about finding the venue.  Typically venues can give you recommendations for other vendors for food, dj, flowers, etc.  Second trip is to connect with the other vendors. And the third trip is to finalize the details.

Also, never underestimate the helpfulness of the city boards.  Ask for recommendations and I guarantee you that you will find some very helpful suggestions.

Just remember to stay organized!  Keep track of everyone you talk to and everywhere you look at.  There are several different wedding planning binders that help you figure out the questions you need to answer.  Good Luck!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Just do some shopping when you can Don't worry Thigns will fall in to place just Get the Most important thing the Venue =) Congratz

Try doing it during your Summer or Holiday Breaks
    Good Luck
    Bride to Be =)
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards