Just Engaged and Proposals

When does the "stressful" part set in???

I have been engaged since July 2011, the wedding is September 2012.  All of the planning has been so much fun and definitely has taken time to sort through all vendor options, etc.  But, the only thing that has been "stressful" and I wouldn't even say it was that bad!  We have mostly everything done and the planning has been a great time.  Does the stressful part come closer to the wedding day and what were things that were stressful of some of you that you wish you had a heads up on? 

Re: When does the "stressful" part set in???

• Hopefully the stressful part doesnt set in :)

B
    DIStickers.com Ticker
  • Well that goes without being said.  Just wondering if there is anything else to be prepared for so it remains unstressful.
  • It depends. If you're paying for your own wedding and have been living frugally to do so, it will start when you begin to pay things off and your savings starts disappearing faster than you had thought it would! It started for me after invites went out and people were adding on their kids and we were seeing how high our reception bill will be. That and hearing that some people just assumed they would stay at our home (not happening!!) rather than get hotel rooms. That and when I see that I have 60 some days left, its like, "holy crap, I'm getting married in 2 months!!!"
    Anniversary
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • For me, the stressful part came after I sent out invitations and had family drama (that was about 2 months before).  I also was dealing with school and finals, which were three days after our wedding date, and we were flying across country for the wedding.  Hopefully you'll be able to avoid any of those stressors.  If it weren't for that I would have been fine.
    Ignorance is a poor defense. Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • For me the most stressful part was landing the vendors that were my first choice. My parents paid for our wedding (we are so grateful) and they needed final say on everything so this took a while, plus I was planning our wedding from out of state until a few months ago, which made it harder.

My wedding is in 6 days and I am most worried about messing up my vows :)
    imageDaisypath Anniversary tickers
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_just-engaged-proposals_when-does-the-stressful-part-set-in?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:683Discussion:aaad8922-0085-493f-ac8c-15a391681511Post:ab99d402-48e7-454c-8533-a36e124f682d">Re: When does the "stressful" part set in???</a>:
    [QUOTE]<strong>It depends. If you're paying for your own wedding and have been living frugally to do so, it will start when you begin to pay things off and your savings starts disappearing faster than you had thought it would!</strong> It started for me after invites went out and people were adding on their kids and we were seeing how high our reception bill will be. That and hearing that some people just assumed they would stay at our home (not happening!!) rather than get hotel rooms. That and when I see that I have 60 some days left, its like, "holy crap, I'm getting married in 2 months!!!"
    Posted by MiksChick23[/QUOTE]

<div>This!</div>
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers
  • Really?? I am completely stressed out already!! This is my second wedding, and not officially engaged. He is waiting for me to tell him my ring size. We have begun some planning. I don't remember it being so much to plan the first time around.  I know that I want small and he wants medium.  Just looking at want needs to be planned is making me want to let someone else do it all. grrrr.....
  • For me, none of the actual planning has been stressful at all.  The only stressful parts have been managing our families' expectations- dealing with divorced parents who don't get along, handling parents who want to invite extra people, declining showers when the hosts insist on inviting guests who aren't invited to the wedding, etc.
  • My wishes for your planning to stay non-stressful! :D

The only thing that's been stressful for us has been his parents, constantly going back and forth and changing their minds about if they will help, then a few days later the idea is offensive, that we're not following proper etiquette when we're actually not following 'tradition', it drives us crazy.  We're planning on paying for everything ourselves to be safe, which is putting a bit of a financial strain on us. I relocated so we could move in together and the job market is not a happening place up here >.<  If you've already got all that squared away, then I think you're doing great! :)  
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers
  • My planning was stressful at the beginning because we had a 9 month engagement & I felt rushed to get everything done. Once it was, then it was smooth sailing until about 2 weeks before when guests started dropping and my foreign in-laws started making ridiculous demands. Plus, my DH's stage fright started to get the best of him. I organized well & had everything done 1 week before. I just relaxed & went along for the ride! 
  • I was wondering the same thing. I have been so calm and mellow, I am surprising myself because planning big events (which I love to do), tend to stress me out a bit. So far, so good.

I know as crunch time sets in, I will be stressing a little. Also, if I don't finish what I need to by certain dates, I know I will freak too. I don't have a lot left to DIY but it's still a list I want to get done NOW! LOL.  Things are coming along slowly but surely.  I do worry about the day not being perfect or going as planned too. We'll see. 
    Daisypath Wedding tickers
  • I am 2 1/2 months out now and I am just starting to freak out.  Now it is just waiting to send out the invites in 2 weeks then doing the seating arrangements once we start to get our rsvps in.
    Visit The Nest! BabyFruit Ticker BabyFetus Ticker
  • LuckyHeatherLuckyHeather member
    First Comment
    edited May 2012
    The last 4 months has been stressful for me (we've been planning for over a year and a half).  The first 15ish months were easy.  All of the sudden the time seemed to FLY past, and it felt like we were never going to get everything done.   

Once the invites go out, all the little things you pray don't happen start to happen.  People inviting their 6 children, people ducking out at the last minute, people calling to say “make sure I am at a table with xyz”, etc.  Our wedding is in 10 days and we still have people calling to say "I forgot to respond, we are coming!" 

Overall, I'm ready for it to be done and for us to be laying on the beach in Hawaii!

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards