Flowers

Silk Flowers - Cheesy?

Is it cheesy to use silk flowers? I want to save money but also have a particular vision of what I want and think it will be fun to put them together. I just don't want my guests making snide remarks about my faux flowers.

Re: Silk Flowers - Cheesy?

• edited December 2011
    I doubt anyone would make comments,  but personally i like the real thing on a wedding day...
    A real flower a real love... just seems less contrived... 

• allisonkbyeallisonkbye member
    5 Love Its First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I'm using silk - cheaper and hopefully can sell them when I am done with them! Plus I need so many its ridiculous and people would probably make rude comments if they were real and realized I wasted that much money haha
  • edited December 2011
    Yes they are cheesy. They are not that much cheaper then the real thing. To me, the point of flowers is because they are real and smell great.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • edited December 2011
    not cheesy at all.  they can be very beautiful if done right.

and i will tell you right now that depending on what you want, silk will potentially save you THOUSANDS of dollars.

i did the same centerpieces for under $100 with silk flowers, and I was quoted by a few different places at around $850.
    Anniversary
  • missy999999missy999999 member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Not cheesy at all. I've been so many weddings where the bride has done silk flowers and I never even realized until she told me!
    BabyName Ticker
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • McKenna2012McKenna2012 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I think they can be great as long as they don't look cheap.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker Photobucket
  • edited December 2011
    Sorry but they're cheesy and people will notice, especially if you use them for centerpieces.  The nice ones aren't much cheaper than real flowers anyway.  Maybe you could cut back on the ammount of flowers and afford to use real ones. 
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • edited December 2011
    they are not cheesy at all... money set aside when i go to weddings with real flowers (some of the time if you do not get someone to take really good care of them) they were falling apart and dying in front of my eyes! it looks horriable when that happens and there is nothing you can do about it!

All my silk flowers were between three to six dollars per stem! I spent tons of money and fake flowers probably were a little more expensive! In all honest though i love that i know that my flowers will look good... that i can buy them and know that is the way they will look and stay that way! I will also be keeping my bouquet for decoration in my house, and maybe even some of the centerpieces to decorate... other than that i will try to sell them!

Real flowers die... you can not keep them, they will die and only look good for so long! then they will be thrown away and good for nothing else!!!

Either way i think they will look nice, everyone has diffrent opinions!!! do what makes you happy :)
  • gloriareese47gloriareese47 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I dont think silk is cheesy at all i think its the really smart way to go and who really cares what the next person thinks anyway its your special day and its all abotu what you want and think i decided to use silk and the reason being i want to keep my flowers from my wedding as a symbol of my wedding and people at your wedding is going to be looking to find someting wrong at your wedding should they be there in the first place
  • edited December 2011
    I used silk flowers, but mine were underwater. No one noticed and they were much cheaper. If you are worried about what people think and the comments they would make, then look at your budget and see if you can swing real ones.
    e
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • edited December 2011
    I'm only doing silk for two larger arrangements to go on either side of everyone at the altar. I wanted to be able to do something like that in advance and with a small budget. I think I have both arrangements, with tall vases, for under 80 bucks. I figured they were far enough away from the guests, and they really don't look bad.

For reception, I'm doing milk glass centerpieces so I will be arranging various grocery store bought flowers on the spot the morning of my wedding.
    Disclaimer: Please excuse the above comment. I'm probably freaking out because there is less than one month to go. Thank you.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
    Our Huge Planning Blog :) * Updated 06/11

July 2011 Bride
  • edited December 2011

It depends on the type of silk flower that you use. Some look amazing. Some do not. Stay away from places like Jo-Anns or Michaels. They are awesome for other things- but not silk flowers. Check with a florist- they can point you in the right direction for the truly beautiful silk flowers.

I am getting married in August 2012. I very much want cherry blossoms at my wedding. I could spend hundreds and hundreds to ship them in August (thier off season) from the opposite side of the globe, or I could use silk and mix in some other real flowers.

Good Luck!

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • AeroStyleAeroStyle member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I don't think it's cheesy, as long as you find good looking ones. I have even seen some  that feel real. I'm thinking of going the silk route too. It's a good way to do larger arrangements or get flowers that are normally pricey.
  • edited December 2011
    I wouldn't say its cheesy, but I always notice when they aren't real. You can't beat the real thing, in my opinion.

Untitled Untitled
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers image TTC#1 since July 2012
  • edited December 2011
    I'm pretty amazed at the number of people that think they're cheesy. That's silly....as long as they're done well. I mean, I've seen some bad but also a lot of good. If you suck at being creative with flowers then chances are they're not going to look good....silk or real. Get a florist if this the case.

It's really more about priorities. If it's mega important to you to have real flowers, then take the money out of the honeymoon budget. If that doesn't sound like something you want to do, get creative.
    Photobucket BabyFruit Ticker
  • beth824beth824 member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    IMO, cheesy. Sorry.
  • edited December 2011
    I don't think they're cheesy and quite frankly real flowers can look just as cheesy if they're not done right. I plan on having silk for the simple reason that I'm highly allergic to flowers in general and why should be miserable with allergies on the most important day of my life so far??

If they're done in good taste I say go for it. It's your wedding, your day, guests that would make snide comments about your flowers ... well ... maybe they shouldn't be there.

Besides ... a nice silk centerpiece to take home can perhaps lead to less snarkiness from the guests. LOL
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • MMRoberts11MMRoberts11 member
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I think as long as you find good ones they are not cheesy at all.  My mom is allergic to many flowers so I'll be using silk and everyone who has seen the ones I got already thought they were real.  I'm using cymbidium orchids, hydrangeas, and roses.  In my area for what I wanted (number wise) I was always quoted for over $700 for real ones.  With silk I am paying about $100 for everything so I'm saving money, letting my mom fully enjoy the day and not worrying about allergies, and get to keep my flowers afterwards.
  • suzieyang31suzieyang31 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I don't think it's cheesy at all. my fiance is super allergic to real flowers. and actually one time he bought me some flowers while on his way to pick me up at the airport, and he face was so red, and his eyes, and his nose was running, and i asked him what was wrong, but he wouldn't tell me until i got to the car and i realized he had bought me flowers, but was very allergic to the pollen.  by using silk flowers, I save a ton of money, I enjoy making the bouquets and I can personalize it better. my groom and groom's men will have boutinners that are made of buttons, so i added buttons to my bouquets ! I like them, and it's your wedding, so who cares ?! on the contrary, i think spending thousands and thousands of dollars on real flowers for one day is cheesy. ;) i'd rather save that for a house or something !
  • suzieyang31suzieyang31 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    do you really care if people notice? it's just a center piece in my opinion. it should be about love and having a good time. u think people would have less of a time if the center floral arrangement is fake? i don't think so. 
  • edited December 2011

All my flowers are fake, and everyone there told me how much they loved my flowers!!!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards