Honeymoon Discussions
Options

DC honeymoon

we are planning a washington DC honeymoon.  Neither one have us have ever been before, but have always wanted to go.  I have heard that it is worth the splurge to stay in the Dupont Circle area since it is so close to everything and since all the museums are free!!  We figure our main costs are going to be the hotel, food, monorail passes, and the gas to get there.  We are so excited!!!! I was just wondering if anyone had any advice or suggestions about DC.  Thanks y'all :)

Re: DC honeymoon

• Options
    Cfas gives good advice. I lived in the city for a very short time in college, and in the suburbs as a kid. I really loved Capitol Hill and Eastern Market. There's a lunch counter in the market that has pancake breakfasts on Saturday. I also loved the American History Smithsonian and agree with Cfas on the Archives, Arlington Cemetary, and Old Town Alexandria.

If you have a car, I'd also suggested checking out the Chesapeake Bay area. If you're into seafood, the crab houses are fun to visit and you can get a bucket of crab to share. 

It looks like you're getting married in November, if you're going right after, you might look into ghost tours in Old Town Alexandria. Not sure if they still do them and how long the season is, but when I was a kid I loved them. As an adult, I think it'd still be cool because they gave some great history and mystery about the area.
    Items for sale & Detroit vendor Reviews:
    www.detroitwedding.weebly.com
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic Daisypath Anniversary tickers
  • Options
    I recommend going to the FDR Memorial, feels like walking through a storybook.  Plan on a few days at the Smithsonian, well worth it.  I agree w/PP's about driving, it is crazy to drive in the city, go by bus or train. 
    Anniversary Visit The Nest!
  • Options
    Sue-n-KevinSue-n-Kevin member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its First Answer First Comment
    edited July 2012
    I'm a HUGE proponent of DC because I think it is such a cool city and nearly everything you want to see is FREE!

You may want to consider flying into any of the 3 airports around DC if you can get a good flight cost. My son lives in DC and we fly into Baltimore because it's cheaper (our local airport is a hub for Delta, and we have to fly Delta). From Baltimore you can get to DC by bus and Metro subway, or by train to the DC Union Station. You don't need a car in DC because the Metro gets you everywhere. It is safe and easy travel. Besides, you have to pay $25-$50 a night to "store" a car in DC at the hotels. That alone may offset the price of the flight.

The best budget friendly hotel we've found is the State Plaza, a former apartment complex turned into a hotel. You have a kitchen with fridge & microwave, and can save money on food (there is a CVS Pharmacy around the corner and they sell foods). Also a liquor store next to CVS, LOL ............the maids will do the dishes too.

The State Plaza is about 5 blocks from the Lincoln Monument and Vietnam War Wall. That is at one end of the Mall, and to walk to the other end is about an hour. Wear very comfy shoes, you will walk a LOT and in November you should still have good weather.

Places to see I highly recommend (all free):

All the monuments

The Smithsonian museums, on either side of the Mall

The US Bureau of Engraving (where the sheets of bills roll off the printers, very cool)

The LIbrary of Congress (free tours every hour or two, worth it to hear the history of the way it's decorated, what everything means)

National Archives, where the Declaration of Independence and Constitution are, as well as other important documents in our history

The Capitol (you can get guided tours through your US Senator or Representative, look for "constituent services" on their websites.....also can work for White House tours, which book quickly)

For a great restaurant, I'd recommend Founding Farmers, excellent food and reviews

If you are interested, sign up at the Washington Post website for weekly "things to see/do" emails. These detail restaurant reviews, things happening in the coming week, etc.
  • Options
    aragx6aragx6 member
    5 Love Its Combo Breaker First Comment
    DC has some great neighborhoods; make sure you get out and explore them. Wandering around the Eastern Market was a great way to spend a morning. I can only handle so many museums per trip.

We stayed at the Embassy like CMGr recommended and it was a basic hotel but clean and in a great location. I would definitely recommend it as well.
    Lizzie
  • Options
    Be sure you book your tours with the senate as soon as possible. We are going in October and were already informed we may not be able to go on a White House Tour because you have to submit the paperwork 4-6 months ahead of time. So if you want to go on any tours look into it as soon as possible and sign up through your local congressmen/senator.

• Options
    ootmother2ootmother2 member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its First Answer Name Dropper
    edited July 2012

A great spluge would be The Hay Adams Hotel.  Absolutly lovely and they cater to every need. :)

I do agree with no car.  Their Metro is simple enough for me to understand and parking at the hotels are $25+

There IS a monorail system in DC but they call it the Metro.  I believe you can get it at the airport and I believe it ends in Alexandria.  It can take you direectly into Pentagon City if you wish.  It's not for the disabled though

• Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_honeymoon_dc-honeymoon-2?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:11Discussion:359a9773-d32a-435c-b163-9c996328771bPost:17be9b1c-15e9-4dcf-b435-f0f8a280d6f2">DC honeymoon</a>:
    [QUOTE]I was just wondering if anyone had any advice or suggestions about DC.Posted by jenlynn426[/QUOTE]
    On the metro escalators, stand on the right, walk on the left. Don't stop at the top of the escalator to figure out where you need to go. Take a few steps away and then stop. People will seem much friendlier this way.
    In addition to the other places mentioned, check out the zoo. It's free.
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_honeymoon_dc-honeymoon-2?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:11Discussion:359a9773-d32a-435c-b163-9c996328771bPost:35741a2a-d8f4-4a4f-9182-55018cf829fe">Re: DC honeymoon</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to DC honeymoon : On the metro escalators, stand on the right, walk on the left. Don't stop at the top of the escalator to figure out where you need to go. Take a few steps away and then stop. People will seem much friendlier this way. In addition to the other places mentioned, check out the zoo. It's free.
    Posted by j-harvey[/QUOTE]

I wish there was a "Like" button for this like on FB lol.  I am originally from DC and these words hold true!

Hotels:
    Hays
    Hotel Washington
    Wilard (my personal fave...pricey but historic and so memorable)

Food:
    Ben's Chili Bowl
    Black & Orange
    Oohh's & Aahh's
    Trio
    Zorba's
    Madam's Organ
    Make jokes. No stress. Love. Live. Life. Proceed. Progress.
  • Options
    I agree that it can be difficult to find parking in DC, but if you want to visit some of the surrounding areas, a car would be helpful.

Food:
    Old Ebbitt - good food and close to the museums
    Clyde's at Gallery Place Chinatown
    Rasika's - requires advance reservation

To Do:
    The Arboretum
    Georgetown - especially lunch on the waterfront
    Kennedy Center - Check to see if there are any good shows during your stay
    FDR Memorial and WWII Memorial - probably already mentioned, but a must do
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards