Moms and Maids
Options

Do I pay for Bridesmaids hair and makeup?

I'm getting married in August and have 6 bridesmaids plus 3 junior bridesmaids and 2 flower girls. I fiigured we could just do the 5 younger girls' hair and light makeup to save money.

I have gotten quotes from 8 different hair/makeup artists and they all are around $700-$1000 for me plus the 6 bridesmaids. This really isn't in my budget. 

I thought about maybe just paying for their hair or letting them choose either hair or makeup. How should I approach this? 

I don't want my bridesmaids to be offended that I'm not paying for their hair and makeup since they are already buying the dress, shoes, and doing so much.

Please HELP! 

Re: Do I pay for Bridesmaids hair and makeup?

• Options
    If you're requiring them to get professional hair or make up (and I strongly suggest you don't) you need to pay for it.  If you're not requiring it you can just say "Hey, let me know if you're interested in getting your hair or make up done with us the morning of the wedding.  The cost for make up is $X and the cost for hair is $Y.  I need to know by Z date."

Also, if you're requiring specific shoes you need to pay for them.  The only thing your bridesmaids should need to buy is the dress.  Give them a neutral color for the shoes and they can buy what they can afford and find comfortable or use something they already own, and then you don't have to worry about paying for their shoes.

• Options
    mbaetembaete member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_moms-maids_do-i-pay-for-bridesmaids-hair-and-makeup?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special Topic Wedding BoardsForum:357Discussion:a613789a-7f76-4ef6-9bee-c0c333e7abfbPost:21617e12-ed93-49d8-bc58-9ab6d305e5c4">Re: Do I pay for Bridesmaids hair and makeup?</a>:
    [QUOTE]If you're requiring them to get professional hair or make up (and I strongly suggest you don't) you need to pay for it.  If you're not requiring it you can just say<strong> "Hey, let me know if you're interested in getting your hair or make up done with us the morning of the wedding.  The cost for make up is $X and the cost for hair is $Y.  I need to know by Z date."</strong> Also, if you're requiring specific shoes you need to pay for them.  The only thing your bridesmaids should need to buy is the dress.  Give them a neutral color for the shoes and they can buy what they can afford and find comfortable or use something they already own, and then you don't have to worry about paying for their shoes.
    Posted by Viczaesar[/QUOTE]

This is what I did. I wanted them all to have it done, but I wasnt going to require it. They all wanted it done anyway and it wasnt an issue.
  • Options
    I have 3 bridesmaids. I will be paying for their hair & makeup (2 out of 3 want the makeup) as well as paying for their manicure and pedicure. I will be doing my own makeup and having my hair done. I am also not going to get a manicure or pedicure to save money. I wanted to pay for their services as part of a gift of appreciation for the money they are putting into my wedding. Not only have they bought a dress for the wedding, they were also required to book 2 nights at the venue's bed and breakfast AND organized a bridal shower and lingerie shower for me (covering costs). My bridesmaids have also organized my bachelorette party and have booked a hotel stay in New Orleans after a night of buying me drinks. I also will give them some monogramed totes with pocket mirrors with their name on them and a champagne glass( i had order a matching set for the wedding party for the champagne toast)
  • Options
    I would agree to not require it, but I think bridesmaids usually understand that they will be getting their hair done professionally unless they are really good at doing it themselves but my mom is my hair dresser which is always free and I can do my own hair, yet all weddings I have been a bm in, I do not even ask to opt out because I think it's respectful for the bride. I think you should also look at how much the bm's have had to spend on the other stuff: Dress, accessories, shoes, shower, bachelorette party, etc. If they have already spent a lot then put that in perspective, if you have done a good job keeping costs down then you shouldn't feel too bad. I only required my bm's to buy their dress and a dress coat (winter wedding) but both combined were cheaper than any dress I have bought as a bm, I bought their necklaces, let them choose their own shoes, and found decent priced hair dressers (they paid for).  Especially if it is not in your budget, I wouldn't do it but just make that clear ahead of time so they are not surprised or upset the day of....
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_moms-maids_do-i-pay-for-bridesmaids-hair-and-makeup?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special Topic Wedding BoardsForum:357Discussion:a613789a-7f76-4ef6-9bee-c0c333e7abfbPost:0a0c6064-21b8-4a1f-a7a4-0f6001386b48">Re: Do I pay for Bridesmaids hair and makeup?</a>:
    [QUOTE]Only if you require it to be done.  Otherwise, let them do their own.
    Posted by RetreadBride[/QUOTE]

^^ This ^^
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_moms-maids_do-i-pay-for-bridesmaids-hair-and-makeup?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special%20Topic%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:357Discussion:a613789a-7f76-4ef6-9bee-c0c333e7abfbPost:21617e12-ed93-49d8-bc58-9ab6d305e5c4">Re: Do I pay for Bridesmaids hair and makeup?</a>:
    [QUOTE]If you're requiring them to get professional hair or make up (and I strongly suggest you don't) you need to pay for it.  If you're not requiring it you can just say <strong>"Hey, let me know if you're interested in getting your hair or make up done with us the morning of the wedding.  The cost for make up is $X and the cost for hair is $Y.  I need to know by Z date." </strong>Also, if you're requiring specific shoes you need to pay for them.  The only thing your bridesmaids should need to buy is the dress.  Give them a neutral color for the shoes and they can buy what they can afford and find comfortable or use something they already own, and then you don't have to worry about paying for their shoes.
    Posted by Viczaesar[/QUOTE]

This. Like PP said, I wanted my girls to have their hair done but could not pay for it.  Some think their hair is too short to have it done too so they're doing it themselves.  Just give them the option but don't require.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic Anniversary
  • Options
    I put it out there for my bridesmaids to get their hair and nails done. I told them the prices and if they wanted to get it done, they had to let me know, so I could schedule the appointments. By no means is it in my budget either to get all their hair and nails done. I gave them a chose as to whether or not they wanted to have it done.
  • Options
    I am paying for hair. My maid of honor has offered to do make up, free of charge. Not concerned with nails, they keep them nice anyway!!
  • Options
    That is why I am letting my bm do their hair the way they want it.

• Options
    edited May 2012
    i know previous posters are telling you if you require it you pay for it, but i have never seen this to be the case. for every wedding i've been in/been to paying for hair/makeup is just part of the gig just like buying the BM dress. So don't feel like a witch if you require it of your BM's, but do be respectful of their budgets and i think the best way to do this as a bride is tell your BM's if you want to have hair and makeup done by the same people doing mine it'll cost this much.

just in case my lone post amongst a sea of "if you require it, you pay for it" isn't much comfort here's the knots post about this subject.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards