Moms and Maids

Gifts for the Maids

So I am not getting married until next Sept but found a gift for my girls and the Mom's that I LOVE! I know I am a little premature, but hey I had my dress after 4 days of being engaged...what can I say I'm excited. Anyway, my question is, the gift I love are a little expensive but I know everyone would LOVE them as much as I do and it would be something they could use.  Would it be wrong to get the expensive gift then skimp on the other items? Or is it best to get a bunch of smaller things? I obviously have time to think about this but was curious what others think?
ps. here's my idea
http://judipaintedit.com/JudiPaintedit.com/Place_a_Custom_Order.html
Trying to Conceive Ticker

Re: Gifts for the Maids

• em01092em01092 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Some of them were only $15-25, which isn't really what I would personally consider expensive, so I don't think that's too bad. I also don't know if there was added cost for names and titles, I just skimmed. The best advice is just to shop for them like it is their birthday. What are their hobbies/interests?

Do they all like wine/fancy glasses like this? If your BMs aren't big on wine, these would be nice to look at but probably never get used. I would love to have one but honestly wouldn't get a whole lot of use out of it. 

Also, on a side note, did you already ask your BMs? If not, most gals on here advise waiting until about 9 months out to ask. There is really nothing for them to do until closer to your big day. You don't want to ask too early and then regret your choices, which a lot of brides do and then come here to ask how to kick them out because the friendship changed (a friendship ending move). 
    April Siggy Challenge-Wedding Escape: Reading HG/dreaming about Peeta.... Image and video hosting by TinyPic Wedding Countdown Ticker Bio-Updated 4/22**
  • MisheyldMisheyld member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I think the glasses are cute.   If it were me, I would just put their name on it and nothing about the wedding (ie, "bridesmaid" or your date).  
  • Kate61487Kate61487 member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    edited December 2011
    Getting one large gift instead of a bunch of junk is a-okay (I got my girls each a coach bag and that was it).

THAT being said I'd rethink the glasses.  they'll be cute for a day, and then your girls will have to figure out what the heck to do with them.  If it was me; it would sit in the back of a cabinet for a few years until I did a purge and then it would end up at goodwill.

If you want to do them for a cute photo op go ahead, but don't count it as their gift (we got everyone bridal party tees, but I didn't consider it part of the gift because I was well aware it was more for me than it was for them). 
  • mandi921vhmandi921vh member
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_moms-maids_gifts-maids?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special%20Topic%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:357Discussion:d31aef16-2ebe-4fac-b4cc-c206bd298a0dPost:614bfef3-1115-4385-b1cc-275ef3e35055">Re: Gifts for the Maids</a>:
    [QUOTE]I'm sorry, but these fall into the "stuff" category for me.  It's useless for entertaining since it doesn't match anything else in my home, and would end up on a shelf to be dusted around. My advice:  skip personalized anything.  Lots of women don't like having their names and initials on their possessions, and putting BRIDESMAID on it creates an instant white elephant that can't be used past the wedding date. Don't give them anything wedding-related at all. <strong>Shop for them as if it were their birthday, or Christmas.  Get them something that matches their taste. The gifts don't have to be identical.</strong>
    Posted by RetreadBride[/QUOTE]

<div>This is what I plan to do for my BMs.</div>
    imageDaisypath Anniversary tickers
  • edited December 2011
    The glasses are cute but honestly if I got one I wouldnt use it. I was a BM in a friends wedding and she got us each a decorative wine glass, they didn't have 'bridesmaid" on them or their wedding date but I still have never used it other than at the wedding. In fact I dont even know where it is, probably shoved in a closet somewhere. I already have wine glasses so dont really have a use for one decorative glass.
    LilySlim Weight loss tickers Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • edited December 2011
    Personally, I would love one of those glasses. I've seen them at other places and I love them. But that's me. If your BMs would like them and use or display them, then I say great. I wouldn't put "Bridesmaid" or anything on them though. If you would get something like this for them as a gift outside of your wedding, then I say go for it. If not and you're just thinking that they're cute because of the wedding then I say keep looking. It's important to know your bridesmaids and what they like before deciding on their gift.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards