Wedding Cakes & Food Forum

Pasta or Risotto Station?

We need help deciding on a final station for our cocktail reception. Pasta or Risotto, both would be an "action" table with a Chef assembling the dishes to order.

Pasta would be served on small plates
-Penne 
-Potato Gnocchi
-Spinach and Ricotta Tortellini
-Pesto Sauce
-Alfredo Sauce
- Fire Roasted Tomato Sauce
and various add-ins and toppings

Risotto would be served in martini glasses
- Red Wine Risotto
- Wild Mushroom Risotto
- Lemon Saffron Risotto
with assorted mix-ins and toppings

Visit The Knot! Visit The Knot! Visit The Knot! Wedding Countdown Ticker

Re: Pasta or Risotto Station?

• I vote for the risotto station.  You don't really see those much and risotto is yummy!
    Ignorance is a poor defense. Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • I voted pasta, because I think the pasta sounds tastier, although the risotto would probably look prettier.  Also, I don't eat meat, and oftentimes risotto is made with chicken stock, so I would not eat it unless it were labeled as vegetarian.
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_food-cakes_pasta-or-risotto-station-1?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special%20Topic%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:23Discussion:eb3cff52-21ee-44d3-b73a-d4c7f93b5c15Post:3abb93e4-a479-404e-8517-ada30e484a3d">Re: Pasta or Risotto Station?</a>:
    [QUOTE]I voted pasta, because I think the pasta sounds tastier, although the risotto would probably look prettier.  Also, I don't eat meat, and oftentimes <strong>risotto is made with chicken stock</strong>, so I would not eat it unless it were labeled as vegetarian.
    Posted by jessicabessica[/QUOTE]<div>
    Were trying to be conscious of or vegetarian and vegan guests (5 that I know of) the Mushroom Risotto is made with mushroom stock and is also dairy free.</div>
  • Risotto sounds the best but I'd question the logistics of it. Risotto doesn't hold well and needs to be served immediately after it's made. It can go from perfect to wallpaper paste in no time flat.

So unless they are actually making the risotto right before it's being served. I would skip it. Some catering companies will par-cook and cool it earlier in the day and then finish it off right before service but it has a tendency to get pasty if they do this.
    FOR SALE - www.sd31942.weebly.com
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_food-cakes_pasta-or-risotto-station-1?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special%20Topic%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:23Discussion:eb3cff52-21ee-44d3-b73a-d4c7f93b5c15Post:a0853731-bc0a-4abe-acd7-96aba0eb8756">Re: Pasta or Risotto Station?</a>:
    [QUOTE]Risotto sounds the best but I'd question the logistics of it. Risotto doesn't hold well and needs to be served immediately after it's made. It can go from perfect to wallpaper paste in no time flat. So unless they are actually making the risotto right before it's being served. I would skip it. Some catering companies will par-cook and cool it earlier in the day and then finish it off right before service but it has a tendency to get pasty if they do this.
    Posted by StephieDee[/QUOTE]

<div>That was one of my concerns but the lady said that they do it often and it's bascally made as its being served.</div>
  • I think the pasta sounds a bit tastier, but the risotto is more gourmet-special. 
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • I voted pasta but I might biased because I love pasta (we're haiving a pasta bar reception!)
    imageDaisypath Anniversary tickers
  • Risotto. It's also usually gluten free for any guests with Celiac Disease.
  • Risotto-- it's unique, and I hate making it at home. I'll have to remember the wine glass idea for next time I have a dinner party, though.
    Anniversary
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards