Offbeat Weddings
Options

is this frustrating to anyone else?!

Ok so I don't want anything too out of the ordinary, however I don't want to get married or have our reception at any old run of the mill KofC hall.  It's just not us.   
We live in northern Michigan and I'm having the hardest time finding a place that is more unique or that we could make unique to our tastes.  It's even more the fact that we are really trying to find something affordable!  

We want to stay in the Petosley, Harbor Springs or Charlevoix area (please don't reccommend Castle Farms)  where we can bring in our own caterers as my fiances father owns a catering company and will save us a ton!

I guess my big question  is and I apologize if you see this post in another forum topic but I don't know where to post it....  Anyway I am just curious as if any of you out there know of any really neat places that allow offsite catering but aren't so expensive we can't afford anything else!  Indoors or out.  No churches necessary.  

Thanks so much!

Re: is this frustrating to anyone else?!

• Options
    I would say look at Art Galleries. Though I have no idea what is in your area, I would say ask your local board. 
    Visit The Nest! Visit The Nest!
  • Options
    CHeck out museums, movie theaters, and parks in your area. Posting this on your local board will give you more specific feedback.

**TTCAL** A little Irish cuteness- Cillian Murphy
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    TTC #1 since December 2011
    Dx: Hypothyroidism, PCOS, one test away from confirming DOR
    BFP #1 1/16/12 EDD 9/16/12 m/c 1/26/12 }Sweet Pea{
    BFP #2 10/18/12 EDD 6/29/13 cp 10/24/12 }Bug{
    BFP #3 11/22/12 EDD 8/1/13 m/c 12/7/12 }Turkey{
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    Mah Chart * Mah Literary Blog * Mah Other Blog
    Image and video hosting by TinyPicImage and video hosting by TinyPic image
    ~*~Everyone is welcome~*~
  • Options
    Have you considered the Traverse City area? They probably have some really neat venues with all the wineries near at hand...
  • Options
    There are a lot of little areas around Traverse City that people I am in business with have gotten married, although I'm not sure which ones allow outside catering
  • Options
    A friend of mine got married up north in Michigan on a private property. It was literally someone's backyard right on the waterfront. I'm sure it wasn't a cheap option, but it certainly was unique. They actually talked to realtor to find the property.
  • Options
    Not sure what it's like in MI, but I looked into state and county parks in NY and found it to be a lot cheaper.  Some of them have buildings, some with kitchens, some without, but you could definitely bring in your own caterer. 

I have a friend who has a summer home up there and since there are so many lakes, there are probably a lot of places that are summer communities.  Maybe check into those places that would otherwise be empty at other times of year for a good deal?  I know her assembly reminded me a lot of my summer camps main lodge and she told me they do weddings.  Summer camps might also work, before/after the camp season starts.

Good luck!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards