Not Engaged Yet

30 By 30: What Every Woman Should Have and Should Know

A friend of mine posted this article from Huffington Post on Facebook and I found it fascinating. It's a list of 30 Things Every Woman Should Have and Should Know by Age 30, originally published by Glamour magazine in 1997. 

Anyone care to discuss and/or comment? I think it's at least worth a read and a contemplation. 

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/04/24/turning-30-30-things-every-woman-should-have-and-should-know_n_1447368.html

image 170 Invited (holy crap!)

image 98 are coming to party!

image 29 have other plans

image 43 need to respond!

Daisypath Wedding tickers

"Bside - You're just too sexy for your own good" ~ leia1979

"True love = I still love you even though we hang out all the time and most other people would be tired of each other already" ~ flygirlmeg

Re: 30 By 30: What Every Woman Should Have and Should Know

• I like that there is a book now! 

I remember seeing this list around the time it was published when I was *eek* 18 (my college roomate and I posted it in our dorm), now that I'm about to turn *double eek* 32 I totally agree with every single thing on that list, even if I am 2 years behind on a couple of them. 

The odd thing is that many of the things you 'should know' are things that you'll learn along the way. Well, as long as you are at least somewhat introspective... all except the last one- that one you learn after 30 :)

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • edited April 2012

Since I'm 34, I figure I should do some reflection . . .

By 30, you should have ...

1. One old boyfriend you can imagine going back to and one who reminds you of how far you’ve come. DONE!!

2. A decent piece of furniture not previously owned by anyone else in your family. Multiple pieces at my house (the one I own but don't live in) and NONE at our house (the one FI owns and we do live in).  Need to remedy this sitch.

3. Something perfect to wear if the employer or man of your dreams wants to see you in an hour. At least one something perfect.  Possibly more.

4. A purse, a suitcase, and an umbrella you’re not ashamed to be seen carrying. Yes to a purse, yes to a suitcase.  Umbrella?  I'm just happy if I can find an umbrella!

5. A youth you’re content to move beyond. Most definitely.

6. A past juicy enough that you’re looking forward to retelling it in your old age. More juicy than necessary ;-)

7. The realization that you are actually going to have an old age -- and some money set aside to help fund it. I hope I'm going to have a long old age.  And I'm still working on money for it!

8. An email address, a voice mailbox, and a bank account -- all of which nobody has access to but you. Indeed.  Now we're just debating if we want to share bank accounts after the wedding.

9. A résumé that is not even the slightest bit padded. I haven't needed a resume in YEARS; I think the last time I needed one was for my pilot selection board back in 2002.  It was only slightly padded and I wouldn't need padding now.

10. One friend who always makes you laugh and one who lets you cry. Yes.  I'm very lucky in the friend department.

11. A set of screwdrivers, a cordless drill, and a black lace bra. Yes, yes, and lots of black lace bras (they're my fav!)

12. Something ridiculously expensive that you bought for yourself, just because you deserve it. Yes.  A piece of artwork I bought in Hawaii that I look at now as such a ridiculous thing that I spent money on.  But I still love it.

13. The belief that you deserve it. 99% of the time, yes.  1% of the time I get weak and think I suck.

14. A skin-care regimen, an exercise routine, and a plan for dealing with those few other facets of life that don’t get better after 30. Weeellllll . . . skin care has been tough since December when I went off the pill.  Still trying to figure that out.  Exercise . . . I know what to do but have a hard time committing to it. 

15. A solid start on a satisfying career, a satisfying relationship, and all those other facets of life that do get better. YEP!!!

By 30, you should know ...

1. How to fall in love without losing yourself. Finally, yes.  FI is the first and only man I can say this about 100%

2. How you feel about having kids. Yes.  We want them. 

3. How to quit a job, break up with a man, and confront a friend without ruining the friendship. Yes, it's important to quit a job without burning bridges.  I definitely know how to break up with someone who isn't good enough (though I didn't learn than until my late 20s).  I would say my weakest of those three is how to confront a friend.  Not so good at that.

4. When to try harder and when to walk away. Yes.

5. How to kiss in a way that communicates perfectly what you would and wouldn’t like to happen next. YES!

6. The names of the secretary of state, your great-grandmothers, and the best tailor in town. I have no idea about a tailor.  Guess I should figure that out.

7. How to live alone, even if you don’t like to. Yes.  I'm good at living alone actually.  I lived alone for the most part from 18 to 32 when I moved in with FI. 

8. Where to go -- be it your best friend’s kitchen table or a yoga mat -- when your soul needs soothing. Not always.  I'm horrible at recognizing that my soul needs southing in the first place.

9. That you can’t change the length of your legs, the width of your hips, or the nature of your parents. Yes.  I don't always love my body but I love it a lot more than I ever have before.  And I LOVE my parents. 

10. That your childhood may not have been perfect, but it’s over. Yes.  It was pretty fantastic, looking back on it. 

11. What you would and wouldn’t do for money or love.  Yes

12. That nobody gets away with smoking, drinking, doing drugs, or not flossing for very long. Yes.  And I believe in "everything in moderation, including moderation."

13. Who you can trust, who you can’t, and why you shouldn’t take it personally. Yes.

14. Not to apologize for something that isn’t your fault. No.  I'm horrible at this.  I blame it on the fact that I'm still recovering from Catholicism.  I feel guilty about everything, even things I know I'm not responsible for.  So I end up apologizing for things that have nothing to do with me.  I'm working on this though.

15. Why they say life begins at 30.  YES!!!  My twenties were great but my thirties are FANTASTIC!!!

• I was a little scared to read this at first..being ahem a little over 30 already.  I was pleasantly surprised that I have all of the items listed that I should have with the exception of the satisfying career but only because I can't decide what I want to be when I grow up.  I also know all of the things that you should "know" by 30 and I have now accepted that I am a grown up...sigh haha

Daisypath Anniversary tickers
  • The only thing I haven't "done" is buy something ridiculously expensive for myself. I don't have any expensive jewelry because I never have an occasion to wear it. I *am* considering a cruise or trip to Europe someday, but I don't consider that "ridiculously expensive".

Hmm. I'll have to think on this one.
  • I read this and got sad because there is a lot I haven't done.  I know I have 5 years but I feel like a kiddo Frown
    Anniversary
  • I'm 32 and there are things on there I haven't done. I don't have a juicy past. The cordless drill is my husband's, but I do have my own Dremel! I only know the name of one great-grandmother, and I've never lived alone.
  • I have 8 years to go, but I think I'm well on my way to completing that list (which seems pretty reasonable to me), although I can also admit I have a ways to go in some areas. I consider myself pretty lucky (and an old soul) though. 
    Wedding Countdown Ticker

Life is good today.
  • I am past 30 and covered most of the items. I am not a fan of lacy things so the black bra is a no go. The email account that no one has access to seems a little outdated.
  • I have 4 years to go and am about halfway through the list.  I'm kind of excited to see if life really begins at 30.  During my college years, I used to dread getting older.  But looking back, those years were kind of miserable.  I had to work multiple jobs to pay for school, I didn't have any extra money, I had the worst self esteem, life pretty much sucked.

Honestly 26 might be the best year so far! I got a promotion at work, I am happy with my relationship (instead of wondering why bf is dragging his feet), I've stopped hating my body.  I like being older and feeling like I have my life together.  If life really does get even better after 30, I'm all for it!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • tulaqtulaq member
    First Comment
    I have to admit that whenever I read "every woman" I immediately bristle: "EVERY woman? Yeah well not this one, biatch! I'm effing unique!" but umm, that said, I actually totally agree with this list. I think if you can check all these off, you're probably doing a pretty good job and living a pretty good life. No, I can't check all of them off but I have six years left. Also, ALL of my exes are dbags, so the first one won't happen unless I break up with BF which I reeally don't wanna.
    "Don't treat your heart like an action figure, wrapped in plastic and never used." --Amy Poehler ribs
  • Not bad, I have three years till im 30 and more than 3/4 of the way through the list.
    Visit The Nest!

Daisypath Anniversary tickers

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards