New Jersey

Wedding Envy

Is there anyone's wedding that you ever envied?  Even just a slight bit?

At the last Knottie Movie Night we got to talking about certain things we envy of other.  But I think every bride (with the exception of celebs and the uber wealthy) can look at someone else's wedding and say "ohh I wish I could do that".. or "wow she spared no expense." 

With that said, I introduce you to an acquaintance of mine from high school: Ashley.  She is a wonderful girl, super sweet, and a fashion diva (hello Manolo wedding shoes).  She is a year younger than me and actually kinda physically resembled me so people used to call her my twin. 

She got married this past June at the Palace at Somerset Park (my dream, but out of budget venue). 

While I am not into the tropical theme nor that crazy about hot pink. I feel that her wedding was executed to her every wish and fantasy.  C'mon, she had a martini-table lady!!! (not my style, but fun regardless!)

Anyway Ashley's wedding was recently blogged here:

http://www.brendasweddingblog.com/blogs/2010/8/9/real-wedding-tropical-elegance-with-kissing-parrots-in-new-j.html

just wanted to share :)

Re: Wedding Envy

• Denise91980Denise91980 member
    First Comment Combo Breaker
    edited December 2011
    I can't say we have ever been to an over the top wedding. We were invited to one at Russo's on the Bay but did not go. FI went to one a Liberty House that was crazy expensive, but he said their band was amazing. I do envy my sister's venue the Florentine Gardens because it was gorgeous, the food and service were amazing. If we had the money I would've loved to have it there.
    BFP #1 1/1/11 EDD 9/10/11 dx:no hb DNC on 2/2/11 BFP #2 12/28/11 natural m/c on 2/6/12 BFP#3 2/16/13 dx:ectopic on 2/27 (given methotrexate)
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • uppereastgirluppereastgirl member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Wow, that wedding is a lot of look!   And maybe a bit bat mitzvah/sweet sixteen to me?  And am I the only one who thinks hiring people as tables is odd/kind of tacky?

My best friend had a beautiful wedding in Italy.  I definitely had destination wedding envy.  I would have loved to have a destination wedding but my in-laws would have flipped out.

But other than that, not really.  I've certainly seen weddings that I've thought were beautiful and I've seen ideas that I wish I had thought of (although many of those weddings and ideas haven't really been very *us* so we wouldn't have done them anyway).  I think I had a very nice wedding though and honestly, I've never really seen pictures of another wedding that I wish was mine.

• andreapnycandreapnyc member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    uppereastgirl - a week after i got engaged when we started talking about venues, i found the most amazing place to get married in Italy, it was in Tuscany, absolutely beatutiful. ahh!  but my FI's parents bugged out at just the thought of it!  i kinda have destination wedding envy, so i totally feel you on that!
  • edited December 2011
    Wow that is really something!
    Not what I would pick if given an unlimited budget, but visually stimulating nonetheless!
    Christine, did you attend this wedding!?!
    BabyFetus Ticker

Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    Being married is a real thriller! =)

• edited December 2011
    No, uppereast..."maybe a bit bat mitzvah/sweet sixteen" comes to my mind, too.

Christine, I do understand what you're saying, though, even if my own "wedding envy" is a little different.

My MA-native friend got married at the beach & reception at the inn (on Cape Cod) where, when I lived in MA, I always said I'd get married! I tell her, "YOU had MY wedding!"

MH's mom can't even comfortable travel in the car for much more than 1/2 hour so NJ it was :( I loved my wedding but I'd trade it for my Cape Cod "vision!"
    A Yankee Fan & A Red Sox Fan...
    imageimage
    "5.01.09"

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • edited December 2011
    I didn't attend this wedding.... didn't make the invite list!
  • edited December 2011
    I didn't know what you meant by "martini table lady" but when I saw the picture it reminded me more of a side-show than a wedding.

People have different tastes and preferences; I would envy that she was able to indulge her every whim and fantasy but definitely do not envy how it looked...
    ExerciseMilestone
  • edited December 2011
    Wow! That seems a little over the top for me. Very colorful though!
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • edited December 2011
    Wow. That is a LOT of detailing. Agreed with uppereast about the Martini Table Lady - a little odd. Fun, no doubt, but def. too much entertainment. I've never been to, invited to, nor do I think I know anyone that might have a wedding like that!
  • leah2bleah2b member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011

The only wedding envy I have had is being a little envious of those whose parents pay for the wedding! haha!  I wish... Other than that, I loved my wedding.  Also, sometimes being a guest at an over the top wedding is even better - I don't have to pay for it or stress over it and simply just have to have a good time :)

• edited December 2011
    I feel like that wedding should've been in Miami. I did love the dog though haha.

I have wedding envy on some things, but I loved mine as it was. It was what we could afford and I took ideas I wanted and did them myself.
    *~allie~*

• edited December 2011
    uppereast....the FIRST thing i thought of was "it looks like a sweet 16!"  too funny.  it looks over the top and obviously what SHE wanted.  however....i'm a "less is more" type of gal.  that wedding would be my NIGHTMARE!

that being said...i have been to 3 weddings that have had ridiculously amazing bands...and i am TOTALLY envoius of that.  i'd love to have a band...but the awesome ones are out of my budget.  sigh....

you are not alone, misschristine.
  • gibribuzgibribuz member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    It totally looks like a sweet 16/bat mitzvah.  The martini-table lady makes it look like a circus instead of a wedding.  I think The Palace is beautiful but this wedding seems out of place there. 
    Anniversary
  • DMLJDMLJ member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I think sometimes I did (and maybe still will) but I loved our wedding and wouldnt do anything differently!

As for the tropical wedding, I actually saw that on another blog and personally, it is NOT my taste AT ALL.  Yes, everything was executed beautifully but it seemed more like a birthday party theme than a wedding and I REALLY dislike MOST theme weddings. 
  • edited December 2011
    It looked visually beautiful, but I feel like there is sooo much going on with this. I think sometimes less is better and that was a little much, especially for my taste. But I get wedding envy all the time. I haven't had mine yet, but there are three mutual couples we know getting married before us, everyone was engaged before us, and a lot of them their parents are paying for everything but ours isnt.... so I know how you feel to a certain degree.
    *Future Mrs.W* Photobucket Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • jchristeljchristel member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Wow.  That's all I've got.  Wow.
    Photobucket
  • edited December 2011
    I was really jealous when a girl I went to high school with won a $100,000 wedding, but then I saw the pictures and I was not at all impressed. Kinda disappointing haha. I
  • edited December 2011
    The weddings I'm most envious of are those whimsical outdoor events you see in Martha Stewart Weddings or sites like StyleMePretty.com. They're simply difficult to pull off around here, where the weather is unpredictable.

Opulent $200+ per guest catering halls don't appeal to me at all.
  • shortee426shortee426 member
    Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I admit that I have some wedding envy with my brother's wedding.  It is 3 weeks after mine and his fiancee's parents are paying for it.  They are going "all out" (my mother's words).  I am lucky that my parents are contributing a healthy amount, but I still don't have nearly the budget they have.  I think my envy comes from our weddings being so close together and a fear that the mutual guests (ie my family) will compare the two.  My brothers wedding will be much more opulent, which is completely different than my simple yet elegant vision so there is no comparison between the two.  But I still get nervous of that when I think about it.
    Anniversary
  • edited December 2011
    The first thought I had was Bat Mitzvah! Haha this is way too over the top and showey for me.  I prefer more classy/elegant kind of weddings.  I even think a lot of it is tacky, but thats just me.
  • dianenjnjdianenjnj member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    ackkk...gawdy 
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards