North Carolina-Outer Banks
Options

**Paperwork Problem** (Posted also in Destination Weddings)

Hello Ladies (and gent:)

Ok, this is for the ladies who are getting / already got married in OBX buuut hail from someplace else. Case in point, I am coming from the D.C. area. I am a little hung up over paper-work. My FI have yet to decide if we want to do all the paperwork stuff here, or have it handled there. Reason mainly being that I dont know if it will matter or make a big deal, or even be inconvienent (<-- sp??) to have a marriage liscense from another state. I know I can do everything rather quickly in NC... but.. I dont know.. I would just love some feedback. I have 29 days till my wedding and I would like to have this decided by the end of the week. If someone could just give me some feedback on how you went about it.. or what your thoughts are I'd be so grateful!!

Re: **Paperwork Problem** (Posted also in Destination Weddings)

• Options
    edited December 2011
    We're from Ohio and we got our license while we were in NC on a Friday, wedding on Monday.  It was very quick to get it done, like less than 30 minutes.  And they quickly took care of our request to have copies mailed to us- plus it was during the hurricane. 
    Lisa Daisypath - Personal pictureDaisypath Anniversary tickers
  • Options
    OBX2011OBX2011 member
    First Anniversary First Answer 5 Love Its Name Dropper
    edited December 2011
    We are from Richmond and also got our marriage license in NC....it only took about 15 mintues to do everything.

There really should be no inconvenience with it b/c it's a legal marriage license and they are quick to send out copies like ldybug said.

I would just get it done while you are down there :)

• Options
    OBX2011OBX2011 member
    edited December 2011
    BTW....are you on our FB group?  It's OBX 2011-12 Knotties....it's a lot easier to chat on there sometimes than on here.

We would love for you to join!  :)

• Options
    OBX2011OBX2011 member
    edited December 2011
    Ohhh and P.S.  You must be getting soooooooo excited!!!! :)

(come to FB...come to FB, lol)

• Options
    edited December 2011
    hahaha.. JOINING!! :) And yes I am getting SOOOOO excited!!
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I thought you had to get it in NC. Like the girls said, it was really easy to get! They were very nice as well.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    You have to go to the Register of Deeds with both of your photo IDs and your SS cards, $60 cash or check.  They are open M-F 8:30-5:00.  You can get your license up to 60 days in advance.  I recommend printing out and filling in the online form ahead of time and bringing it with you.  It will save you a lot of time.  You will need to pay $10 for each certified copy of your marriage license.

http://www.co.dare.nc.us/depts/Deeds/marriage.htm
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Thanks so much Sangriamaria!! That made it so much easier :)
  • Options
    sarahebrownsarahebrown member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    As the other's have already said, it's very easy to get a marriage license in North Carolina. It took us only about 15 minutes in and out the door. I haven't had any issues changing my name in Maryland with the NC license either. (plus, the view driving over the bridge to Manteo to the Justice Center is too pretty to miss!) Laughing
    Trying to Conceive Ticker
  • Options
    tigertayl22tigertayl22 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011

Ditto, but I wanted to say that you do have to get it in the county you are getting married in, otherwise the marriage won't be legal.  So, i don't know if I understand what you mean by doing things in D.C.

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    We are actually officially getting married in DC, very soon actually. FI comes home in 9 days!!  But thats just to make things easier bc he's Army and we have kids.  Only our parents will be there.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker LilySlim Weight loss tickers
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    yeah keb! I am sorry that is what I meant when I discussed it in VA... FI and I were going to do things "legally" in VA, or DC and that way the paperwork would just be taken care of. But then have a ceremony in NC... Although, now that I write it out, it seems more complicated.

But Keb, are you doing it in DC with a magistrate or how is that working for you? I know we live close to one another, and I looked into doing it through Fairfax County and it was just... annoying. If you could let me in on your process I'd greatly apprecaite it :)
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    If you're not getting married in NC, then you don't have to worry about any paperwork.  That would be done in the state you marry in.  You would simply be having a "celebration" in NC and not have to worry about any of the legal aspects.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Brianna - we have to go to the Loudoun County courthouse (we're in Loudoun) and get the marriage license.  But I don't think we can get married at the courthouse. The license is only good for 60 days.  We have to find a civil celebrant to do a ceremony of sorts.  It really isn't easier unfortunately :(  But its what we need to do so we are going to do it.  We've decided to just hire a civil celebrant, do it at a local restaurant with just our family and have a nice dinner afterwards. We will say the standard vows for this wedding, but write our own for our wedding/reception to make that special.  Sorry it took so long to respond!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker LilySlim Weight loss tickers
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Aw no it's ok. Yeah we looked into doing that too with Fairfax... only bugger is that on top of paying for the liscense, and then the possibility of having to pay for the civil celebrant.. it just seems easier for us to do it in NC... since that is an optoin for us... sorry it isnt for you. But thats cool that you will have 2 celebrations!! :)
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards