Flowers
Options

Summer Blooms

So I'm trying to get an idea of what I want before I visit the florist. Tulips are some of my favorites, but they are Spring flowers, and our wedding is in June. We're going for a very simple, outdoor, country wedding. I don't even have an idea of colors yet. I can't decide. Anyone recommend cheap Summer flowers? Maybe some that come in a variety of colors so I can match them to whatever color scheme I eventually decide on?

Re: Summer Blooms

• Options
    edited December 2011
    Tulips are actually a late spring flower and may still be pretty cheap in early summer depending on what zone you're in (TN... I don't know, maybe not? Up here in MI the tulip season is way later). Roses and alstroemeria are always priced well, and some of the more expensive flowers will be cheapER, but not necessarily inexpensive. (those include hydrangeas, callas, dhalias, cosmos, lilac and gladiolas)
    Steph and Chris, 6/26/10
    Planned Executed
  • Options
    Sue-n-KevinSue-n-Kevin member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its First Answer First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Daisies, roses, carnations are all summer flowers. My stargazer lillies can come up in June if the weather is good. Consider shopping online as well, because many of the online floral sites (growersbox.com, costco.com, samsclub.com) have inexpensive flowers out of season because of where they are grown.

Good luck.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Our wedding is in July and we're having a lot of tulips and we're not importing them from Europe or anything.

We're also using ranunculus and carnations (again, nothing imported internationally) so I'm sure they'd be widely available in the summer.

Finally, our florist told us that hydrangeas can be pretty iffy if they're used in something other than centerpieces or other arrangements. They're not really hearty flowers, so when they're in bouquets, they can wilt and bruise easily.

Good luck! I hope you're able to find some awesome blooms!
  • Options
    candyr99candyr99 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    You might try Gerber daisys. They come in many colors and should be fairly inexpensive. Another idea is to use a few of the more expensive blooms like the roses or orchids and a lot of filler like the stephanotis, baby's breath, carnations-these can be dyed any color--, or greenery. It's a way to extend your flower budget and still have a spectacular look.
  • Options
    Virginia VVirginia V member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I'm doing the flowers for my son's wedding which is a country garden tea reception in early June.  Really country, old fashioned flowers (in our area of MA) are lilacs, sweet peas, lisianthus, fairy roses (cheaper and pretty), queen anne's lace and daisies.  I'm using antique mason jars for the vases on the tables.  You can also add greenery, not only to fill your bouquet and keep the cost  down, but it also adds to the texture.  I'm going with eucalyptus pods, which are very "flowy".   I'm adding curly willow branches to the alter arrangements to create interest and also give the county feel.   Find out what is available and in season to keep your cost down and you will be okay.  Plus, if you are using a florist, they should be very good at helping you decide.  Good luck
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards