Just Engaged and Proposals

Fiance is refusing the chair covers...

There's always the one thing that your fiance is going to be completely against, and mine? He hates chair covers.

Daisypath Anniversary tickers

Re: Fiance is refusing the chair covers...

• Do you really need chair covers? He might just not want to spend the extra money on something that at the end of the day isn't necessary. There's nothing in our wedding that my FI hates or is completely against; it's his wedding too...
  • None of the above. My fiance likes everything we've planned because of the whole 'we've planned it together' thing.

• Another 'none of the above' We aren't having chair covers (don't feel the need to spend the extra money) FI couldn't care less about what flowers we're having (brought him to one appointment and all I think he said was "whatever you like, they're pretty") Venue we picked out together, since it's both of our wedding, and we both like each other's friends, so no problem with my BMs. One disagreement we have had is over the flavor of cake, and we fixed that by getting alternating layers, so no hate anywhere.
    photo a826c490-726a-4824-af5c-d938878de228_zpseb85bb5a.jpg
  • Mine was against the sand ceremony I suggested, so we nixed it. Other than that, he was on board with everything, so it's not like we had to battle anything out. And I personally don't care much for chair covers, either. 
    What did you think would happen if you walked up to a group of internet strangers and told them to get shoehorned by their lady doc?~StageManager14
  • We planned it together and respected each other's opinion. He hated nothing about it.

FYI: The only reason we had chair covers is that the venue automatically did them. Neither of us cared one bit about them.

• Oh Dear! You kinda sound like bridezilla rawr!!!

Honestly, its a party for the marriage of you TWO. Get over yourself. 
    LilySlim Weight loss tickers Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • DH wasn't completely against anything for our wedding and reception because we planned it together and compromised until we agreed on something....much like how marriage works.
    Proud to be an old married hag!! image
  • I hate chair covers.  They don't fit and I slide all around.  I prefer pretty chairs without covers.
  • I can understand wanting chair covers...it was a huge "must" on my list. DH was fine with it, although he got frustrated with it because I was getting frustrated with it (was having trouble finding ones that fit). Our reception room was so bright and light colored, but the chairs were a hideous green and I hated them. I found chair covers for a reasonable price, and just sold them last week for about 50% of what I paid, so I felt it was worth it :)

Otherwise, DH did not "hate" anything. There were frustrations on both parts, but he pretty much let me do what I wanted since I had to make the final decisions. We got married where I grew up, in Indiana (we live in Massachusetts), and I was the one traveling back there and finalizing things. But there is always compromising, which we also did with certain things.

If he absolutely hates them, nothing says you HAVE to have them! Pick your battles...even ugly chairs are worth a compromise if it prevents a stupid fight! I didn't vote for anything since none of those applied. He really was pretty chill about everything...just told me not to spend too much lol
    imageAnniversary
  • FI isn't against anything because, as others have said, we're planning it together. We make each others ideas better. :)
    imageDaisypath Anniversary tickers
  • I duuno - I agree with the PPs that nothing should actually be carried out at the wedding that one or the other of you "hates", but I think it's totally normal to have differences of opinion during the planning process.  FI "hates" the idea of spending a ton of money on flowers I "hate" (abhor) the idea of a dollar dance, which in his culture is normal and even expected.  But we've compromised.  No dollar dance, and a reasonable amount spent on flowers. 

As far as chair covers are concerned, they are a must at our venue, which is amazing except for the d*** chairs in the ballroom  Hideous doesn't even begin to describe it.. Everyone from the florist to the dj that we've chosen and have worked at that venue have strongly recommended that we cover them. 
  • Maybe the question is - what is the benefit vs negative of the chair covers?

Pro:
    covers ugly chair fabric, stained fabric etc.

Con:
    slips around, maybe not comfortable

Pro:
    pulls together your room's decor

Con:
    costs extra $

Pro:
    you get what you want

Con:
    disagreement with fiance, who does not want them, causing frustration and anger?

---

The only justification I can see is "pro" #1.

IF it's just a question of decor, you could do many other things that would cost less. Tie ribbons on the chairs....add cute chair 'Mr. & Mrs.' signs...kissing balls...add balloons to your chairs

Good luck
  • I hate the chair covers myself, but the chairs at my venue are really really bad - pink!  And I can't stand pink . . . so much as I hate spending the money and hate the fact that I need them, I still need them.  Sigh - I can relate to  your FI. 

• In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_just-engaged-proposals_fiance-is-refusing-the-chair-covers?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:683Discussion:87f8d4de-9e67-4e4c-bec0-515f63861860Post:6b707962-36dc-486b-a7e3-3aa17497a954">Re: Fiance is refusing the chair covers...</a>:
    [QUOTE]The only thing my hubby hated was the idea of the garter toss. Which I hated too. <strong>And he did not want "Call Me Maybe" to be played.</strong>
    Posted by TXKristan[/QUOTE]

<div>Haha, it's funny that you said this because it is literally the only thing that H and I disagreed on when we were planning our wedding.  I love the song, but he really wanted it on the "do not play" list.  I agreed to let him put it on the "do not play" list, but so many people requested it that I ended up telling our DJ it was fine to play.  I don't think H even noticed.</div>
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards