Wedding Reception Forum
Options

saying hello to everyone at reception

So, I know after our entrance into the reception, it's our first dance, then the horah, a few more dances, blessing, then toast, then dinner before getting up again for more dances.  This is probably a silly question, but when should my husband to be and I actually get up and walk around to say hello to everyone?  Do we do that during dinner?

Thanks!

Re: saying hello to everyone at reception

• Options
    During dinner is the best time.  That's when your guests are still seated.  Eat your dinner as quickly as possible and between courses, make as many table visits as you can.
  • Options
    oh my gosh thats horrible, dont eat as fast as possible this isnt middle school.

Simply eat dinner and then get up and promptly say hello to everyone, ive seen it done plenty of times it works out well.
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_reception-ideas_saying-hello-everyone-reception?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:5Discussion:c27d640c-526b-4769-81ac-e3f56f9dc377Post:ae851461-f5cb-4a05-ae72-76928e8ec2b6">Re: saying hello to everyone at reception</a>:
    [QUOTE]oh my gosh thats horrible, dont eat as fast as possible this isnt middle school. Simply eat dinner and then get up and promptly say hello to everyone, ive seen it done plenty of times it works out well.
    Posted by schadbourne[/QUOTE]

I'm not saying to scarf the meal down.  However the wedding isnt' the time for a leisurely meal either.  The bride and groom need to eat and then get up.  It isn't a time to sit and have a long drawn out conversation.

Surely as an adult you don't think "eat quickly" means 'scarf it down'.
  • Options

The Bride and Groom are always served first.  So you'll be able to finish your meal and then see your guests at their tables before people get up and start moving around much.  One word of caution, if you truly want to see as many of your guests as possible, stay focused on moving from table to table without distractions.  We let things distract us too much and I wasn't really focused on greeting our guests.  As a result, we didn't make it to more than 1/2 of the tables.    It is one of my few regrets from the day.

• Options
    I like the idea of a receiving line of only the couple, and maybe the parents of both sides.

I also have to agree that rushing though dinner is not on my list of things to do. Considering the time investment I'm putting into the wedding, reception and food, I want to enjoy it as well. And yes, that may include talking to my new husband.

My friend had everyone put a balloon on their wrist as they came into the reception, and then they took the balloons off as they greeted the couple. This helped them keep track of who they had greeted and who they hadn't. Of course, that was at the cake/coffee reception (in Holland there are three separate, distinct receptions with different guest lists) so it might take some work to arrange that at a reception that is starting with dinner.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_reception-ideas_saying-hello-everyone-reception?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:5Discussion:c27d640c-526b-4769-81ac-e3f56f9dc377Post:b020753a-8ced-4bef-ac7e-f161c26babd1">Re: saying hello to everyone at reception</a>:
    [QUOTE]I like the idea of a receiving line of only the couple, and maybe the parents of both sides. I also have to agree that rushing though dinner is not on my list of things to do. Considering the time investment I'm putting into the wedding, reception and food, I want to enjoy it as well. And yes, that may include talking to my new husband.<strong> My friend had everyone put a balloon on their wrist as they came into the reception, and then they took the balloons off as they greeted the couple. This helped them keep track of who they had greeted and who they hadn't.</strong> Of course, that was at the cake/coffee reception (in Holland there are three separate, distinct receptions with different guest lists) so it might take some work to arrange that at a reception that is starting with dinner.
    Posted by mnp13[/QUOTE]

My jaw is on the floor right now.  "Here, we can't remember if we talked to you or not.  Wear this obtrusive floating object to remind us.  Don't let it pop, or we won't know to speak to you throughout the evening." 
  • Options
    I can't imagine treating guests like they're young children - not to mention the eventual impact to the environment.
  • Options
    im pretty sure "eat quickly" and eat as "quickly as possible" are a little different in my book, I will not be eating quickly neither will i be picking my teeth for ten minutes before going to see all my guests, silly yankee fans ; )

michelle what you do need to know is that as bride and groom you will be served first so if you eat fast or not you will have time to go visit you guests or you could do a recieving line at any time
  • Options
    "My jaw is on the floor right now.  "Here, we can't remember if we talked to you or not.  Wear this obtrusive floating object to remind us.  Don't let it pop, or we won't know to speak to you throughout the evening."

Um... that was not quite it.

How many couples do you talk to that didn't speak to everyone at the wedding, or can't remember? I know a LOT of people who didn't get a chance to talk to everyone, and I've been to weddings that the only time I saw the couple was in the receiving line.

Dutch weddings have three separate receptions, one for cake and coffee (the people who were at the ceremony usually go to this one), one for the family where you have a dinner, the third is a party for dancing (with people who were not invited to the other two.) This is where I saw the balloons, and I thought it was a neat way to make sure that everyone got some time with the couple.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    It's really hard to meet and greet everyone at the reception, but kudos to you for trying to have a game plan.  We had 150 guests, and even though we had the cocktail hour for mingling (we did all our photos beforehand so we could spend as much time with our guests as possible) and meeting and greeting and expressing our gratitude to our family and friends for coming, I know we missed more than a few.  Just do your best.  I had a friend tell me beforehand that my wedding would not be a chance to catch up with everyone--that's what other people's weddings are for.  You will be pulled in a million directions, and most of your friends and family will understand.
    "The only true currency in this bankrupt world... is what you share with someone else when you're uncool." -Lester Banks, Almost Famous
  • Options
    There is a whooooole lot of crazy in this thread.

As bride and groom, you are the stars of the evening.  You best get the idea of "we paid for this awesome meal and we're going to enjoy it!" out of your head right now.  People are going to come up to your table, people are going to talk to you, people are going to pull you in different directions and you need to see your guests.  The reception is for receiving them and thanking them.  I'm not saying not eat, but there's also not a snowman's chance in hell that you'll get to eat at whatever pace your heart desires.

Listen to Banana (she rocks) and - whatever you do - don't make people wear balloons.  I mean, this isn't the circus.
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_reception-ideas_saying-hello-everyone-reception?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:5Discussion:c27d640c-526b-4769-81ac-e3f56f9dc377Post:2647d4a2-7f82-4b6f-9252-eabcf0c27f5a">Re: saying hello to everyone at reception</a>:
    [QUOTE] Dutch weddings have three separate receptions, one for cake and coffee (the people who were at the ceremony usually go to this one), one for the family where you have a dinner, the third is a party for dancing (with people who were not invited to the other two.) This is where I saw the balloons, and I thought it was a neat way to make sure that everyone got some time with the couple.
    Posted by mnp13[/QUOTE]

Oh.  OH!  I just read this whole thing.

It's about balloons AND tiered receptions! 

If this is generally Dutch tradition (side-eye), then it's acceptable ... in Holland.  In the US, this is a horrible, horrible idea.
  • Options
    We are doing a reception line/receiving line as the reception begins in which everyone will greet us as the doors open. That way all guests get to talk to us that night. We are also going to eat our dinner and then walk around some.
  • Options
    Ditto to banana, stage, and joy.

We were served first, ate our salads quick, and then went around to some tables.  Our server came and told us when she put our entrees down, so we went to sit and eat those quick.  We didn't scarf our food down as fast as possible, but we also didn't sit there and try to leisurely enjoy our meal and a conversation.  You have however many people there waiting to see and talk to you, and spend the evening with you.  You will have countless nights of dinner and conversation with your H without being rude to everyone else. 

As for the balloon on the wrist idea, that is seriously the most ridiculous thing I have ever heard of.  I would rather the B&G forget to make their way to me for some quick conversation than wear a balloon on my wrist.  If I went to a wedding that did that, I would take it off immediately and forget about talking to the couple.
    imageBabyFruit Ticker
  • Options

you'll have time during dinner, during down time, etcc to say hi to your guests. not everyone will be at every table. you might miss a few people here and there but for the most part people will come up and talk to you.
    go numerically. start with table 2, 3, etc.. after first dance then go to 4, 5 during dinner, 6,7 during down time, 8,9 during desert. it's not difficult.

• Options
    Wow, what a bizarre mix of advice in this thread. But I do agree with those who said that as each course ends is a good time to make table visits. I'll also add that you'll likely interact with most of your guests during the hora and I'm assuming you're attending your cocktail hour and will say hello to just about everyone then too. I wasn't super-concerned about making sure I caught everyone at their table (although I did do table visits of course) because I knew I'd already spoken/danced with just about everyone during the cocktail hour and hora.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards