Wedding Etiquette Forum
Options

Is Sonnet 116 a cliche?

I know I'm ages out from actually needing wedding readings, but I was just rereading Shakespeare's Sonnet 116 and thinking about how lots of the internet comments I've read suggest it is way too much of a cliche to actually be used in a wedding. It's the one that starts out, "Let me not to the marriage of true minds admit impediments..." http://www.shakespeare-online.com/sonnets/116.html

Do you think it's a cliche? I've been sitting here thinking about it, and I don't think I actually have ever heard it at a wedding I've attended, and I've been to several. We'll have a couple of English professors there (my aunt and uncle) but I'm not sure if anyone else would notice.
imageimage
Our Story MAJORLY UPDATED 8/6/09
Wouldn't it be nice to live together in the kind of world where we belong?

Re: Is Sonnet 116 a cliche?

• Options
    I've never heard it at a wedding; I think it is absolutely lovely.  If I heard an awesome reader deliver that sonnet at a wedding I'd be a sniffly mess.  Just beautiful. 
  • Options
    Hm, maybe it's just Shakespeare scholars who get cranky about it.

My brother would probably be reading it, and I think he could do it justice.
    imageimage
  • Options
    I don't think it matters, Sarah.  If you guys love it, then use it.  I don't think I've heard it used before, though.
    BFP(1) DD1 born 4.17.10 @ 33w5d due to pPROM
    BFP(4) DD2 born 2.14.13 @ 35w5d due to pPROM

Lilypie Third Birthday tickersLilypie Premature Baby tickers
  • Options
    I've never heard it at a wedding.  Even if it is popular, I think it's fine to be a little cliche if it's something you love. 
  • Options
    I have never heard it at a wedding. I think that if you and your FI love it, then you should, even if we said here that we've heard it a gazillion times.

It's about what you and your FI want. Every wedding is a little cookie-cutterish, so I say use it regardless.
  • Options
    I think it's wonderful. Agree with Jess too-there aren't many wedding details that haven't been done before.
    Whatever you hatters be hattin. -Tay Prince
  • Options
    Thanks guys! I'm going to think about this some more, and maybe ask my aunt if there's anything I'm missing in making sure the sonnet isn't secretly snarky or anything.

So now I may be up to two good readings... all I have to do is get FI's approval. :)
    imageimage
  • Options
    I like this one, and I've never heard it at a wedding.
    I'm just excited that it's not 18,  "shall I compare thee to a summer's day." That is my least favorite sonnet.
  • Options
    I've never heard it at a wedding.  Most weddings I have been to have been Catholic, or in a church at least and they usually don't have secular readings though.  

I say use it!  I think we on the knot get super-saturated with wedding stuff and say things are over done when IRL many people may never have seen them.  
  • Options
    I have never heard it at a wedding either. We used the mother of all ceremony cliches,  Elizabeth Barrett Browning's Sonnet 43. But we actually read Browning to each other all the time, and it's our favorite, so it was fitting. If anyone rolled their eyes at it, screw 'em. We had a good reason for picking it.
  • Options
    Nah, it's classic. ;-)

Also, I'm thinking of using it, so I'm biased.
    my read shelf:
    Meredith's book recommendations, liked quotes, book clubs, book trivia, book lists (read shelf)
    40/112

Photobucket
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards