Tennessee
Options

Gatlinburg DW - Welcome Bags

I am having a dw in Gatlinburg, and although I am very familiar with the area I thought I would get some opinions on what should go in the Welcome bags (since all but two of our guests will be OOT).

As of now, we are planning on including a Gatlinburg guide from the Visitors Bureau, along with the trolley schedule, bottled water, snacks, and information on the National Park. We were also hoping to include some salt water taffy from the Gatlinburg Candy Kitchen, but we're not sure we will have time to go buy it and put it in the bags before everyone else gets there... Any suggestions on other Gatlinburg/Smoky Mountain/Tennessee specialties that we could include? We were kind of leaning towards small bottles of Jack Daniels Tennessee Whiskey...
m/c at 7w3d on 11/9/11

Re: Gatlinburg DW - Welcome Bags

• Options
    edited December 2011
    I'm not sure how much you were wanting to spend, but an admission to Hillbilly golf that is on the top of the hill in G'burg could be a fun gift. It the putt-putt jewel of the Smokies. :) If you don't have time to stop and get the taffy you could possible call them and order it ahead of time and have it shipped to you prior to the wedding or have it delivered to your hotel so it is there when you check in and you throw them in the bags as soon you get there.
  • Options
    EasyAsh1220EasyAsh1220 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011

Hillbilly golf is awesome! That would be a great gift if it would fit into your budget.  The salt water taffy is a great idea and definitely a staple of Gatlinburg/Pigeon Forge.  You could also include information about the outlet malls. They are really popular and would be a great place for your guests to stop either on their way in/out of town.
    The small bottles of Jack would be great to crack open after a long drive in lol! There is also a new moonshine place that just opened...so that could always be fun!

• Options
    sombrasombra member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Three Bears Fudge in Pigeon Forge is fantastic!
  • Options
    samanthajaysamanthajay member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    hey! we should be friends because im also having a DW in Gatlinburg on Oct. 16th! I am having this same issue!

We are doing:
    jack daniel's
    maps
    taffy and a "babe ruth" candy bar, because my fiance is a yankees fan.
    tissues and maybe aleve or tylenol.

Im also thinking of adding something about Elivis presley bc his house is in TN, or something about country music.
    I know the state bird is the hummingbird...state flower is the iris i believe. 
    there is also dollywood in pigeon forge...
    if you cant do a ticket to hillbilly golf you could see if you could find coupons to that or the ziplines or the aquarium or something. :)

IAmPregnant Ticker
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I live in Gatlinburg and work as a wedding photographer, and also do wedding planning and coordination when I'm not doing that.  In addition to that, I'm also planning my elopement so I basically eat, sleep, and breathe all things wedding.

Not many people know this, but there are a TON of craftsmen in the area (you MUST visit the Arts and Crafts Loop while you are in!).  Something small and handmade could be great.  There is a local soap company that is all-natural (MistyMonutainSoap.com) and has great deals!  There are also glass blowers and people who do etching and wood and glasses (think tree ornaments or even shot glasses since you'll have the whiskey!). 

You may even think about getting passes to Ober and VIP wristbands.  They offer group discounts that could really save money.  There are water slides, ice skating, shops, and of course the tram and lifts up the mountain which make for great photo ops. 

In your guide to the park, you may want to add in some places where there are easy hikes (like the alum cave trail, gatlinburg trail, and the abrahams fall trail in the cades cove loop - also a must see in its own).  There is even a Cd available that provides an audio tour of Cades Cove for when you are driving through that you could include.

There is also a place in town called NOC Great Outpost which hosts guided trails, fishing excursions, and rafting, amongst other things.  They also offer a group discount. 

Or maybe you could even include tickets for tubing in Townsend?  Or passes for one of the zip-lines?  Both are great for guests with children.

And something to tie in country music would be fun, too.  Or blue-grass since it gots its start right here in Appalachia!  Maybe include a mixed CD with some blue grass on it, but don't forget to add Rocky Top.... it was written here in town!  And of course, make sure to incorporate Dolly Parton, who grew up here before it was ever the tourist destination it is now! 

There are all sorts of great things to do and see here, and lots of ways to incorporate a bit of the local history and flavor into your wedding.  I'm full of ideas, and am glad to help!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards