Iowa-Des Moines
Options

From Iowa with love

Hey girls, I wanted some suggestion of what I could put inside the OOT bags that's typical from Iowa (FI suggested corn, can you believe it???).
Maybe some typical craft or embroidered things but must be really a thing characteristic of Iowa. Thanks.

Re: From Iowa with love

• Options
    medusia00medusia00 member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    What about Corn Cob Jelly?  Or something from the Amana Colonies?
    Sept 11, April Siggy, HM Picture!!
    On a Boat, with our Flippy-Floppies!
    Anniversary
    Want to see my Bio? PM Me!!
    Wifey Shenanigans & Day Zero
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Medusia, I don't know exactly what is the second one. I had thought about a homemade jelly before and your suggestion just strengthened my impressions. What's is Amana Colonies (sorry for not knowing that much about Iowa)?
  • Options
    saraann62saraann62 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I got this Christmas present from one of my preschool children and it was popcorn that pops off of the cob that is made around Carroll County.  I was pretty cool.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    You could come up with some really fun stuff.  Nestle headquarters is located in Waverly, IA.  Why not some hot chocolate or candy bars?  

Wells Blue Bunny Ice Cream headquarters is located in Le Mars, IA.  Who would have thought?

Are you getting married in Des Moines?  Why not try to get some handmade chocolates in the shape of Iowa or corn?  Or get some bottles of Iowa wine (I agree-Amana Colonies is great): Jasper WInery (Des Moines) Whispering Hills Winery (Carson, IA).  

Include fun facts about Iowa to throw in the bags :-)
  • Options
    edited December 2011

There is a winery in Ames, iowa that has some great wine. It's called paririe moon winery. That wine is awesome!!

Anniversary
  • Options
    medusia00medusia00 member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    The colonies are a group of Amish people that have put their stuff together. The best way to show you is to go to their website.

http://www.amanacolonies.org/

They have really nice items, and if you wanted to do something with food, they have very good items as well.

HTH
    Sept 11, April Siggy, HM Picture!!
    On a Boat, with our Flippy-Floppies!
    Anniversary
    Want to see my Bio? PM Me!!
    Wifey Shenanigans & Day Zero
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Thanks to you all for the wonderful suggestions.  I will definitively take a look at the Amana Colonies stuff and Sara, you again gave me a wonderful idea. If you find out where this popcorn is from, please let me know. Once my reception will be in a winery I may get some mini bottles of sparkling, but I'd like something really with an Iowa spirit! 
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards