African American Weddings
Options

Pissed!!

A few months back, FI and I opened an account at Wachovia to save for the wedding. So yesterday during my new job orientation a rep from Wells Fargo was there and they updated my account with employee discounts. Today I found out my max daily spending is $7,500. So now we can't do any large transactions. FI said he prefers payments for reception are done just before the wedding next September. WTF?? SN previously Wachovia gave me a much higher daily limit.
80 said yes image

Re: Pissed!!

• Options
    edited December 2011
    If you ask the bank they have the ability to raise your daily purchase limit.  
    Anniversary
  • Options
    happe2getherhappe2gether member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    That was my first question and the lady acted like she she'd never heard of large wedding expenses. Which also got on my nerves. My otjer
    80 said yes image
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    If you tell them when you are going to make a large purchase they will allow it to go through. You don't have to raise the limit. That's how I do with BofA. I just call them the day before.
    Anniversary
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I don't understand why you're pissed though? 

Is it because you can't charge more than $7500 a day? If so why not just break the charges up over 2 or 3 days? Or write a check? 

I dunno... maybe I misread. 

ETA: Or like PPs said... just call the bank and let them know what you're doing before you attempt to do a large transaction. Banks can typically either allow the trans or raise your limit for 24 hours. 
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
    130 image Are on the way! The rest don't matter... FINAL COUNT~!
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    LIke PP stated you normally can increase the spending limit.....the amount you want to increase it to would just have to be readily available in your account on the day you make the increase request.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    DancerppfDancerppf member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Calling th ebank doesn't always work. When my fiance took my mom to finish the deposit on my engagement ring they declined the transaction although he called in advanced to let them know he'd be making an unusually large purchase. He had to speak to the fraud department and go through hoops before it was rectified. My mom said he was upset.

And at my best friend's wedding she was missing for 20 minutes from her reception because when they processed the payment it was declined. She had the money obviously but it exceeded her daily limit. The hotel hijacked the bride and groom for 20 minutes until the bank confirmed that the funds are there and that they could withdrawal the following day. 

So I've heard and witnessed horror stories. Possibly do bank checks. I'm pretty worried about it myself as I'm having a destination wedding and we don't have to pay them in advanced, but when we get there.  
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    As a banker all you need to do is go into a branch and request that your purchase limit be raised. Usually it take about 24-48 hrs to update they should have you sign something to show that you are requesting it and understand the liabilities and everything of having it raised.
    Anniversary
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Call your bank or pay your branch a visit prior to making the large transactions. Personally, I don't see why people get so pissy with their bank when an unusual transaction is questioned by their bank. Its in place for your safety, you just have to work around it.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/cultural-wedding-boards_african-american-weddings_pissed-3?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Cultural%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:400Discussion:014bdb77-e0c3-4b11-9f9c-c7c5654a4310Post:83c5f9ba-d4ae-4dbb-a0a2-b1079ca3d2cb">Re: Pissed!!</a>:
    [QUOTE]Call your bank or pay your branch a visit prior to making the large transactions. Personally, I don't see why people get so pissy with their bank when an unusual transaction is questioned by their bank. Its in place for your safety, you just have to work around it.
    Posted by 2010Bride2be[/QUOTE]

<div>THIS! I'd rather than inconvenience than that of thousands of dollars in fraud anyday. </div>
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
    130 image Are on the way! The rest don't matter... FINAL COUNT~!
  • Options
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Thanks ladies! I will say that I did try to go to the local branch but they close at 4pm.. This didn't make me happy either.  Part of my anxiety/irritation is not being used to the way banks work.  I've only used CU's so this is all new to me.  Once I get the info from the local branch, I hope all will be well and we will have the option to have a higher  limit as needed.  But I do appreciate the precautions.  I was just told something different when I first set up the account since I knew what future needs I would have.
    80 said yes image
  • Options
    M1ssJM1ssJ member
    5 Love Its First Anniversary Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    edited December 2011
    Can you not write a check? It may offer more security in the form of record keeping
    577906 10151197172303105 844768324 n Follow Me on Pinterest www.shoplovelivelearn.blogspot.com Anniversary
  • Options
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I actually didn't order any checks for this account. I've never been a big check writer. I'm the kind of person who only carries debit and credit cards. Which will probably be a problem for me one day. But in the meantime I did find out there's a process to do an increase temporarily.
    80 said yes image
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards