Wedding Photography and Videography Forum
Options

How much should i pay an amateur photographer?

I know a guy who was in one of my college classes who is an amateur photographer. He said he'll do my wedding and engagment photos but wants me to come up with a price for him and well negotiate. I plan on ordering the pictures from online, snapfish. So i would just want him to take the pics and give me the CD or flash drive. So since hell only be taking the pictures instead of them getting them developed as well, what would be a good price for all day coverage? For the engagment session, i was thinking $100. Snd for the wedding i was thinking $300. Does this seem fair? Is it rude for me to tell him im getting the pics developed elsewhere to save money?

Wedding Countdown Ticker
PersonalMilestone

Re: How much should i pay an amateur photographer?

• Options
    Has he ever photographed a wedding before? If not, he should not be charging you anything to practice on your wedding. 
  • Options
    fallbride1109fallbride1109 member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its Name Dropper First Comment
    edited September 2012
    Having a CD with rights to your images is pretty standard.  Where I live, that alone can cost $300 if not a part of the package.  Alot of a photographer's time is spent editing so remember that since you will definitely want at least your favorite pictures edited, you need to factor that in as well.

While I am no expert and someone can certainly answer this better, I think $300 for an amateur is still a little low.  Where I live, even a guy off of Craigslist is going to cost you at least $500.
  • Options
    For my photographer if you wanted just the CD with the pictures it is $1500.. so maybe pay him $800? $300 seems a bit low
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    Alright. Thanks everyone
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
    PersonalMilestone
  • Options
    I have an awesome alternative idea to paying an amateur photographer. I'm engaged to be married next September, but my sister got married last weekend. She used this FREE mobile photo sharing app called Capsule.  All of us guests were invited to a PRIVATE capsule, and could upload photos and comment on them.  It created an instant photo feed of all our candid shots...dance parties, tipsy grandparents, all those priceless moments! It was like all 200 guests were "amateur photographers".  The basic package costs $99 for a capsule that lasts FOREVER.  I think its totally worth it considering the best photos are usually mobile uploads anyway.  We loved scrolling through the album and reliving the whole day.  

Check out their website! Their support team is super responsive, as I've been corresponding with them. www.trycapsule.com
  • Options
    Capsule it's not Free, it's a great idea but not Free. If you want Free you might as well ask your guests to post the pictures you take on instagram.
  • Options
    A co-worker just started really getting into photography and is doing it on the side. She has no professional training. She did our engagements pics for about 2 hrs, 2 different locations, for $150 with a zip drive of all the photos - some enhanced, but many original. Another amateur offered only $100 for the same timeframe. We are using the pictures to make our own photo guest book and Save the Dates.

I think it's kinda lame that he wants you to come up with the prices all on your own. If he wants to be a professional, he needs to figure out what his time is really worth and go from there.

What kind of experience does he have? Can you see any of his work?

For the wedding - how much time will he be spending with you? Does he have to travel? Are you feeding him? If it's a whole day thing, I'd say $300 is low for all the work involved.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
    So ready to bring our families together and PARTY on April 13th, 2013!
    image 225 Invited
    image 53 Are ready to party!
    image 18 Will be missing out!
    image 154 Are MIA!
    Reply requested by March 23.
  • Options
    Speaking from experience, it can be a little intimidating as a newbie photographer to start charging friends and family for photography services. That being said, at some point all photographers must make the decision to continue shooting as a hobby or to start charging and begin their business.

If you like his work and feel comfortable trusting him to photograph your wedding a fair price for photography services would be anywhere from $800-$1200. If he will be renting professional lenses, bringing an assistant, or providing edited images, $1200.00 would be fair. If he is simply giving you the disc for you to print at which ever lab you choose and is not renting lenses or providing an assistant $800.00 would be a reasonable amount to offer.

I hope this helps. Best of luck with your wedding planning.

Brooke Merrill

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards