Wedding Reception Forum

Help! How to make a hall more appealing?

So my FI is set on having a massive wedding and using a caterer his family has connections to... which leaves our only reception venue option the Portuguese Club. The function space is dark with low ceilings. Has anyone come across some clever lighting or decor ideas that can help expand the space and add a little romance? 

~The Future Mrs. L~ Planning Bio Image and video hosting by TinyPic Wedding Countdown Ticker

Re: Help! How to make a hall more appealing?

• You could do centerpieces with lots of candles.  It would be very romantic and would keep a large space feeling more cozy.  You could do different sized pillar candles and glass bowls with water and floating candles.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    Puppy Love
  • Candles and lights!!

• here are a few ideas...

Here are a few hope this helps :)

• it is ALL about the lighting!! I cant afford it for my wedding, but it seriously changes the feeling of a reception. Use "up lighting" It can make the walls of the hall look gorgeous, use lighting within tables... perhaps not every table, maybe just here & there. . . to save money. 

Decide what is more important... And you can spend more money on that specific part for your wedding. If you need to transform your "bland" hall use LIGHTING!! 

good luck! planning a wedding is really just very hard! lol
    Wedding Countdown Ticker LilySlim Weight loss tickers White Knot
  • Have u decided on your colors? I'm adding some pictures that I fell in lovvvve with!!! 

Wedding Countdown Ticker LilySlim Weight loss tickers White Knot
  • I agree with uplighting for sure! If your place is dark and drab, uplighting will definately make all the difference. It's definately a little pricey (mine is $750 for 10 through my venue) and is well worth it in my opinion! Where your ceilings are low, I recommend doing low centerpieces, and I love the lots of candles idea to make it very romantic! I would also recommend renting (or buying because sometimes it can be cheaper) linen and napkins because that will definately help transform your space. I've seen very boring (in my opinion) ballrooms transformed into amazing spaces with the right accessories- it might not even look like the same space after your done with it. I would definately recommend spending a few bucks on uplighting, low centerpieces and rental linen! Good luck!

•  
    Here are some pictures of the hall... This must be earlier in the day though, because it usually looks much darker. Thanks for all the pictures of the uplights, that is a good idea. I haven't really settled on any colors yet, but I was initially thinking green and pink, but something more subtle than hot pink...

Using low centerpieces is a great idea- will definitely help making the ceiling look a little higher.

We're planning on having a very large wedding- about 350 or so. I'm concerned that while I like the look, the chair covers with the accent colored bows will be overwhelming with that many seats. Does anyone have an idea of the cost of colored seat covers as opposed to white/ivory?
    ~The Future Mrs. L~ Planning Bio Image and video hosting by TinyPic Wedding Countdown Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards