Hawaii
Options

Keneke's or Highway Inn? Help!!

Knotties I need your feedback! We're deciding on our caterer and Keneke's and Highway Inn are both within our budget.. so it comes down to who has better food. I have not tried either one so let me know what you think. Thanks!

Re: Keneke's or Highway Inn? Help!!

• Options
    edited December 2011
    I've never tried either, but we're currently working with Highway Inn for our June wedding. They've been very accomodating. Have a new chef who's worked at many fine restaurants in Hawaii. I've heard good things about Keneke's too. One thing our planner said about him, was that his Hawaiian food was very good. So I don't know what style of food you're choosing, but that's what I've heard & know about both.

HTH's a little
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I haven't heard anything about Keneke's but we are also talking to Highway Inn.  They are really accommodating and helpful.  I tried their food at the expo and it was good.  We probably aren't going to go with them but I still think they are great.  My vote is for them (AKA Hookipa Catering).
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    55pawsh used Keneke's and gave them a good review (i think she has a bio). I really wanted to go with them but I couldn't hang with their lack of email replies. On more than one occasion I'd send an email with a few questions and they would reply with a question - no answers. Example: I asked about the serving ware they provide and listed the menu i was interested in and they wrote back "where?" or something super short and vague. It was frustrating. I guess it's somewhat typical of how they run and they become more responsive as the wedding date gets closer. (According to 55pawsh). I ended up going with Tanioka's and I'm really pleased with how friendly they were over the phone. Not to mention the menu we went with is super cheap ($10/pp) and they have really good yelp reviews. Only con is that they don't deliver if the total is less than $1k which ours is, but I'm just having a friend pick up the food. 
  • Options
    55pawsh55pawsh member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Hi!  Yep, we used Keneke's and sparkle is right ... they SUPER SLOW at getting back.  Once about a month prior hits though, they're on it!  I've had mixed experiences with Highway Inn (restruant never catering).  You may want to check out Tanioka's and Yama's Fish Market too - both are around the same price point as Keneke's.
    Keneke's can do formal stuff and Hawaiian food, both delicious, but again they're not the best communicators.  If you're someone who needs feedback and needs to feel organized and in control, I would go with somewhere else.  Which is unfortunate b/c their food rocks, their service (day of) is wonderful, and the people are great!
    HTH!!
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    We've eaten at both and I prefer the food at Highway Inn any day, but I know some die hards that LOVE Keneke's.  We thought their food was really greasy, but that's that Hawaiian diet, for ya.

I know one of the brides here used Yama's and said they were really reasonable (like $13.50 pp if I remember correctly) and provided the help and clean up and everything.  I live near Yama's and have had nothing but stellar service from them every time I walk in...
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Thanks for all the replies! We opted not to do all Hawaiian food.. We want to serve food all our guests will enjoy so we're having kalbi beef, garlic shrimp and kalua pig. The great thing about Keneke's is their wedding specials include china, flatware, goblets and servers!! This will save us some $$. Right now, we're leaning towards Keneke's.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards