Rhode Island
Options

Centerpieces

Hey girls, I've never really introduced myself to the board.  My fiance proposed at home on Labor Day weekend.  He took a few rings from my jewelry box and put them on our back steps.  Then he called me outside and asked me if they were mine.  While I was panicing he pulled out a little black box and asked me if the amazing diamond inside was mine.  I was speechless, but of course I said "yes"!

I'm looking for advice on our centerpieces.  We're booked at Kirkbrae on Sept. 16th, 2012.  We're doing a sort of Fall Theme, colors are Sage Green and Chocolate Brown, and I love sunflowers.  I'm stuck on the centerpieces though.  I really like the look of the picture below, but I don't know if the ballroom at Kirkbrae will be too fancy for such a "rustic" looking display.  Then, of course, I'm not sure where to get the watering cans to hold the flowers.  What do you girls think?  Any suggestions are welcome :-)  TIA!!
Follow Me on Pinterest
Daisypath Wedding tickers
220 image 123 image 21 image

Re: Centerpieces

• Options
    edited December 2011
    Hi Sarah,
    That is a great story! Your color scheme sounds really pretty for September. I am 2 days before you and we are thinking peach and green for our colors. We looked at Kirkbrae too, so I kind of see what you mean about the rustic feel with the country club ballroom style. Who is your florist? They may be able to think of some good ideas. You could also use terra cotta pots maybe for the brown and still make it rustic but not too much for the ballroom. If you are set on the watering cans, I'm sure Michaels or AC Moore would have them. Maybe TJMAXX or Marshalls too. Again, I don't know who your florist is, but depending on who and if they have them, you could always rent them out. Hope this helps!
  • Options
    edited December 2011

Congrats and welcome!!!
    I'm not familiar with the venue, but you can make sunflowers work almost anywhere in my opinion. It's all a matter of what you do with them! What if you paired them with a less rustic flower, like a gerber daisy, small roses, lillies, or something? And maybe instead of a watering can use a clear glass cylinder vase? Something like that would help dress it up a bit, but you'd still get to use those sunflowers! Or, maybe use the watering cans but paint them white or ivory, and you could tie bows in your colors around the top or the handle, or glue some bling on it or something to snazz it up. Get a little creative, you know, just some ideas.
    My suggestion: go to Michael's and play around with ideas using their fake flowers, focusing on your sunflowers. I've spent hours there on end doing stuff like that. Grab different flower pairings to see what you like best, then go off to the basket and vase area and see what looks good.
     And URI is right, your florist will definitely have ideas for you!
    I hope this helps!

We're selling some things left from our wedding! http://weddinggoodsforsale.weebly.com/ Visit The Nest! Visit The Nest! Anniversary
  • Options
    RoyalOrientRoyalOrient member
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Congrats and thanks for sharing your proposal story. I love it! As for your search for watering cans, Amazon has a good selection of them. I also remember watering cans tied with flowers (daisies and sunflowers) and ribbons used in place of the traditional baskets flower girls used. 

Also, a great florist will be able to work with the sunflowers to your venue's decor. 

• Options
    courtchace7courtchace7 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Congrats! Were getting married at Kirkbrae on the 14th of September. I think your theme will be fine in the ballroom. I agree with the PP, you may be able to find them at local stores. Also, check with your florist as they might either have some themselves or be able to get them for you through their supplier connections. I love the look of the centerpiece in the picture you posted!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    tingleys87tingleys87 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    you can get the watering pots at christmas tree shop :)
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Welcome to the board and Congrats! Your E-Story is definitely a good one!

As for your centerpieces, everyone seems to have hit the nail on the head, a good florist will be able to incorporate your vision into basically whatever you want. :)

Follow Me on Pinterest
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Thanks ladies, I have a meeting with a florist tomorrow morning.  Hopefully, she'll be awesome and handle all of it for me.  If not, I'll try some of the places you mentioned. :-)
    Follow Me on Pinterest
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Oh good - who are you meeting with?
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I'm meeting with Kathy over at Flowers by Semia in North Providence.  Have you heard of her?  Any tips?
    Follow Me on Pinterest
  • Options
    edited December 2011

I have heard of Semia - is Kathy an assistant? Either way...BEAUTIFUL work! Depending on your price range, may be a little pricey. I know she was for me.  I'm really into flowers so I tend to follow a  lot of florists on their blogs and such...we are using a great florist in Jamestown. Might be a little too far to travel to Lincoln though. He does a lot of Jamestown/Newport and South County weddings.

• Options
    edited December 2011
    Do you know who is comparable to Semia because she was like souble my budget but I love her work.
  • Options
    jamlyn02jamlyn02 member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I love Semia. She's my florist for my wedding!!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    RoyalOrientRoyalOrient member
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Toni Chandler is comparable to Semia if not even better because she is a bit more budget friendly. Also Studio 539 (Toni's daughter owns it) does amazing work. 

• Options
    shanski27shanski27 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I got quotes from Semia, Christina Chandler (539), Toni Chandler and Sayles Livingston. Semia's look is a lot more "natural" and she was at least double the price of all the other quotes we recieved. With that it came down to Christina and Sayles and I think we're going to go with Sayles. She was able to work with our meager budget and offered some good suggestions on ways for us to save money.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards