Wedding Cakes & Food Forum
Options

Actual caterer or order a bunch of food?

The wedding will be mid-sized, 150-200, and we're not serving alcohol. It's in a banquet hall and we seem to be on the middle of the road as far as formality too. I'm trying to decide between hiring an actual professional catering company (still would most likely make it a buffet though) versus picking up bulk dishes from our favorite Italian restaurant. With the food already being cooked, setting it all up on the tables shouldn't be a problem for my group. Admittedly I haven't done math on the two, but I assume that having a caterer staff there all day would be more expensive. So do you think the extra cost would be worth it to have them take care of it all, or is the setup not that bad?

Re: Actual caterer or order a bunch of food?

• Options
    You do know that if you set it up you will also have to tear it down.  Who is going to clean all the dishes?  Who is going to pack away all the leftover food?  Do you even know how much food to buy to feed 150-200 people?  How are you going to keep the food warm?  How are you going to keep the cold food cold?

I am not saying that you providing the food yourself can't be done I am just saying that a lot needs to go into the planning of the food and not just buying a bunch of food and hoping for the best.

• Options
    Just at a quick glance, I think this is doable for maybe a crowd of 40-50....not 150!  I think it would be out of your league.  PP brought up a lot of good points on serving, but you will also have to rent the silverware, plates, etc. 

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards