Just Engaged and Proposals

My Best Friend or Her Family

Hi All,

Along with all the other stress-inducers popping the question comes with I have a bit of a unique one that I could use some help with. Here is the deal: my best friends (of 20 years) dad is a jewler - and I guess it has been implied that I would go to him for the engagment ring. However, my proposees uncle is also a jewler. Who do I go to?

What makes things a bit more complicated is that my girlfriend has mentioned that she is not very fond of my friend's dad's work, and that it would mean a lot to her if her uncle made the ring. So if I say, "Ok, this is her ring, I will go to her uncle," how do I tell my friend without hurting his or his dad's feelings about this?

Any and all advice is appreciated!

Thanks,
AA

Re: My Best Friend or Her Family

• I think if your girlfriend has stated she isn't fond of the work your friend's dad does, that is your answer. I would just tell your friend the truth, that she said her uncle making the ring would mean a lot to her. Surely your friend and his father would understand you wanting to please your future fiancee by honoring her wishes. Good luck!
    What did you think would happen if you walked up to a group of internet strangers and told them to get shoehorned by their lady doc?~StageManager14
  • I agree with PP. Go to her Uncle and let your friend know that it's been her dream to have him make her ring. Your friend and his Dad should understand that.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic Anniversary 
  • telling them the truth is the best way.
  • Luckily, you can play the family card and no one has to get their feelings hurt. It won't be an issue. Well, it shouldn't.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards