Registry and Gift Forum

To have a registry or not?

My Fiance and I really really do not want a registry.  we have had a house for about 3 years already, so we do not need the "traditional" things that most people would put on a registry? We currently live in PA and our wedding will be in NC. I understand different regions have different customs as far as bringing cash vs gifts.  We ideally, would just like cash! What should we do? Everyone is asking us where we are registered, so I feel like we should have a small one, but I dont want 30 irons and vacuums.  Please advise? And I dont like the honeyfund idea.

Re: To have a registry or not?

• If you can think of some things you could upgrade or add to your house, I would make a small registry to at least give the people that want to get a boxed gift some guidance.  Like you said, you don't want to end up with 30 irons.  Can you register for a few more place settings of your dishes?  More barware?  New linens (even if you don't need them now, towels and sheets don't last forever)?  A nice throw blanket for cuddling on the couch? 

Many people understand that a small registry is a hint for cash or give cash regardless of registries, so I think you will get cash gifts as well. 
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_registering-gifts_to-have-a-registry-or-not?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:34Discussion:80b778aa-91e3-4454-a26c-8ae538c3528dPost:605e17c0-38c5-4ea8-9a4b-8f54e3337130">To have a registry or not?</a>:
    [QUOTE]My Fiance and I really really do not want a registry.  we have had a house for about 3 years already, so we do not need the "traditional" things that most people would put on a registry? We currently live in PA and our wedding will be in NC. I understand different regions have different customs as far as bringing cash vs gifts.  We ideally, would just like cash! What should we do? Everyone is asking us where we are registered, so I feel like we should have a small one, but I dont want 30 irons and vacuums.  Please advise? <strong>And I dont like the honeyfund idea</strong>.
    Posted by shaygray7[/QUOTE]

To the bolded: you're off to a great start there!  Honestly, I would suggest you set up a small registry.  Since your wedding is not near where you live, people are less likely to give you physical gifts anyway.  On the small registry, do not add anything that you don't need (ie. 30 irons).  But f you need one iron, or a chef's knife, new kitchen towels, etc., feel free to pick a few things out.  You by no means need to have 200 items on your registry.  Just add some things that you need/could use an upgrade on.  Other than that, maybe some picture frames and wall art would be nice. 

It is best for you not to have a shower if you do not want many physical gifts, since that is pretty much the point of them.  People that really want to give you a physical gift will do it regardless, so I think registering is a good idea because it gives the giver an idea of what you might actually want or need.  We registered for a decent amount of stuff, but even with two showers we got quite a few generous cash gifts too.  GL!
    Daisypath Anniversary tickersFollow Me on Pinterest
  • Other suggestions of things you may want or need:
    -Nice tupperware containers for leftovers
    -Nice platters for holidays/ get togethers
    -Really good knives
    -Wall Art
    -Pictures Frames (You will need some for your wedding pics anyways)

My household was pretty built when we got engaged, but it was so nice to get new things here and there that we needed and would have bought eventually anyways.
  • edited November 2012
    We didn't want to register either because we combined two households & didn't really need anything either. But a lot of people were bugging us so we went to Target and then Crate & Barrel and decided to have fun with it. We registered for kitchen things that could probably use update but then we had fun. We registered for all the fun extra stuff we would never buy ourselves. Things like a mini fridge for the bar area in our living room, a 12 bottle wine fridge, electric wine bottle opener, solar string lights for our deck in the summer, board games. a kitchenaid mixer, a soda making machine, and more. The amazing thing was that we got all the luxury items we registered for. Were they things we needed, no. But are we enjoying having the things, heck yes. It's great having things you want but normally wouldn't splurge on yourself.

Also not sure if they do this in your area but I went to a wedding once where the bride & groom registered with a travel agency. They paid themselves for the basics of their honeymoon. But with the gift certificates people purchased for them as gifts, wedding & bridal shower, they were able to add extras to their honeymoon like spa treatsments, day trips and upgrade their room.
  • I mentioned registries with my mom once....omg, she was shocked! She's of the opinion that ALL registries are rude. I didn't know what to say since it's so common these days, lol
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Many people mentioned that gifts are given at the shower.. I thought all the gifts given at the shower were supposed to be for me.. Like lingerie, cooking supplies  and things of that nature, but mainly for the bride to be prepared for her new husband.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards