Wedding Vows & Ceremony Discussions

Receiving Line Ettiquette question

We are definitely doing a receiving line - does it have to include both sets of parents or can it just be the bride and groom? 

(main concern is time since our ceremony & reception are in the same place - we have pictures right after)
Wedding Countdown Ticker

Re: Receiving Line Ettiquette question

• em01092em01092 member
    First Comment
    edited February 2012
    I think it's up to you. Ask your parents and see if they especially want to. If not, then have it just be you and your H. Definitely don't ask the WP. 

You could even skip the RL and visit tables during your reception. Just another option, if your GL is under a 100 or so, that is. Anymore than that and it might be difficult.  
    April Siggy Challenge-Wedding Escape: Reading HG/dreaming about Peeta.... Image and video hosting by TinyPic Wedding Countdown Ticker Bio-Updated 4/22**
  • I say its your wedding..do whatever YOU wanna do :)
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_ceremony-ideas_receiving-line-ettiquette-question?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:10Discussion:fb3cb82b-cf89-4637-b616-244c9b573966Post:8afaa79e-e2eb-436f-80e8-761bcaa42ea1">Re: Receiving Line Ettiquette question</a>:
    [QUOTE]I say its your wedding..do whatever YOU wanna do :)
    Posted by jlmonpe[/QUOTE]

Oh yes because you can always use that "It's my wedding" card to be rude to people you love.

The wedding ceases to be about the B & G as soon as other people are involved.
    November 2011 Siggy Challenge: The First Kiss
    Fall Wedding Bio
  • Thank you!

CMGr - we are the hosts

Retreadbride - I would prefer us only for the "bog down the line reason" but FI want's to include the parents - so I wanted to check ettiquette

We'll see how it goes :-) 

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_ceremony-ideas_receiving-line-ettiquette-question?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:10Discussion:fb3cb82b-cf89-4637-b616-244c9b573966Post:cb9d23e9-7fc9-4269-b515-aa8e92570c43">Re: Receiving Line Ettiquette question</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Receiving Line Ettiquette question : Oh yes because you can always use that "It's my wedding" card to be rude to people you love. The wedding ceases to be about the B & G as soon as other people are involved.
    Posted by TiffannieF[/QUOTE]

uh..regardless of what she chooses its not rude. its her decision period.
  • True!
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_ceremony-ideas_receiving-line-ettiquette-question?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:10Discussion:fb3cb82b-cf89-4637-b616-244c9b573966Post:ab75ae64-837a-4d22-8415-9cbb18e908c0">Re: Receiving Line Ettiquette question</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Receiving Line Ettiquette question : uh..regardless of what she chooses its not rude. its her decision period.
    Posted by jlmonpe[/QUOTE]
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers
  • I don't see how choosing to have only the bride and groom, or the bride & groom plus parents based on what is most convenient for the immediate people involved is "rude".  God forbid the bride or groom think about about they want for half a second on their wedding day when they could focus 110% of their attention on their guests!  Not saying that the guests' comforts aren't extremely important, but this whole attitude that one shred of the wedding can't be about the bride & groom is absolutely ridiculous.

OP, for what it's worth I think you can go either way.  We are having just FI & myself to avoid "bogging down the line" and so that guests aren't forced to mingle with total strangers.  I'd ask your parents & future in-laws about it, if they are adamant about being a part of the receiving line, I don't think it is worth fighting about.  As far as table visits goes - one of the things I read most on the "wedding recap" boards was that the bride & groom didn't have time to get around to everyone, or they spent a large portion of their reception doing obligatory table visits.  Just a thought.
    photo trex2_zps7ab4e9b0.jpg
  • SInce our guest list is so big, we are opting out of doing the receiving line altogether.  When we arrive at the reception we may do it there before the dinner, otherwise we will go to each table, as there will be 8 per table and say our thank yous and acknowledge each of our guests.....then after dinner the party will start.  I also plan on making a speach to make sure each and everyone of my guests know how much it means to me that they were there to share in my special day.  I think it is very important to let your guests know how important it is, however I think the receiving line is a little awkward.  I mean my fi has a huge family and majority of them I do not know.  Also with the receiving line people tend to carry on conversations and I am not one to cut people off......lol.

• In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_ceremony-ideas_receiving-line-ettiquette-question?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:10Discussion:fb3cb82b-cf89-4637-b616-244c9b573966Post:1529581a-ab54-4d54-96d0-087aefc3ec01">Re: Receiving Line Ettiquette question</a>:
    [QUOTE]SInce our guest list is so big, we are opting out of doing the receiving line altogether.  When we arrive at the reception we may do it there before the dinner, otherwise we will go to each table, as there will be 8 per table and say our thank yous and acknowledge each of our guests.....then after dinner the party will start.  I also plan on making a speach to make sure each and everyone of my guests know how much it means to me that they were there to share in my special day.  I think it is very important to let your guests know how important it is, however I think the receiving line is a little awkward.  I mean my fi has a huge family and majority of them I do not know.  <strong>Also with the receiving line people tend to carry on conversations and I am not one to cut people off......lol.</strong>
    Posted by sherrycox[/QUOTE]

<div>I feel the opposite is true.  If someone knows & can physically see they have 20 other people behind them literally waiting in line to talk to the bride and groom, there is a sense of urgency to not sit and chat for 20 minutes.  I feel like when the bride and groom stop to chat at a table, guests may not realize that you are in fact trying to say a quick hello to each table and move on....there is no "line" so to speak, so they feel more at liberty to talk your ear off.</div>
    photo trex2_zps7ab4e9b0.jpg
  • It's definitely your choise on who to include in the receiving line.

For my wedding, it will be my parents, us, and then his parents.  Our bridal party will be handing out bubbles to the guests.
    We're doing most of the formal pictures before the ceremony, but still want to do pictures together after the ceremony.  while we're doing pictures, we have a cocktail hour set up for our guests.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards