Catholic Weddings

Church wedding?

I did post this in another forum, but I didn't know this one existed (I'm new to the message boards) so I figured I'd post it in here as well so I get your input as well.

My fiance and I (still so WEIRD saying that lol) are both Catholic.  We even went to same Catholic school as kids and while we aren't ultra-religious we know it'd mean a lot to my parents and grandma that we get married in a church.  To be honest it isn't something either of us are opposed to, we just hadn't thought we would be able to.

And here's why; while neither of us has ever been married before I do have a six year old son from a previous relationship and by the time we get married Little Man will be 8.  I know that sex before marriage and children as a result are a big "no no" for the church, so I didn't think we'd be able to get married in one.  I don't want to start calling churches and priests asking questions if we're just going to be denied in the end.

Any insight would be greatly appreciated :)

While, as I said, we aren't ultra-religious, we do make it a point to try and get to church once a week at least, but work schedules don't always allow that.  Also, my faith is important to me, especially after I had my son, and it's continued to be important throughout the past year and a half as between my fiance and I we lost four very important people in our lives.  I guess my point is that it wouldn't just be to please my parents/grandma for us to get married in a church, but something we've discussed as well.

Re: Church wedding?

• There is no reason why you can't be married in the Catholic church because you have a child from a previous relationship....not marriage. And even if it was a marriage you could try for an annulment to be granted. But since both of you weren't married before you are fine.
    Some priest and even lay people have lots of opnion about people and their past. That's simply it---their opnion. But having a child is not a reason to be denied. You aren't going against any church laws to be married in the church.
    Congrats!
  • That is definitely not an impediment...if the Church denied everyone who'd ever committed a sin, well....not many weddings would be going on. That's what the sacrament of confession is for.

I'm sorry for your losses this year and I hope you'll be able to find continued strength in the Faith.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards