Missouri-St Louis

Cost of church!?

As a brand new MOB (my daughter was just engaged last weekend) I checked with our church's website on cost of the ceremony.  I was shocked that for church members the cost is nearly $1400.00 !!!!!!!!!   Is this the going rate? We've been members of this church for 30 years and now this is a total dissappointment right at the beginning of the planning. 

Re: Cost of church!?

• That does seem high especially since you are members of the church and have been for so long! But I have heard from friends who have gotten married in churches that alot of them, especially popular ones do have high rates to use them for weddings!
  • I am getting married in a catholic church and there is a manitory $300 "donation"
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • That seems really high for church members to pay.  My FI and I aren't members of any church and the ones we were looking at ranged from around $1100.oo (which I think is ridiculous).  I would check into that.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • thanks for feedback... yes, I've been checking online and the most affordable one I've been able to find is Webster Groves Presbyterian which is around 800 for its members.  Seems odd that WGP charges its members 800 and our church, which is only a 5 min drive, charges almost twice that.  And people wonder why young people are not getting married in churches anymore-- me being one of those people.  It is very disappointing.
  • My FI and I are getting married in a Catholic Church. We are giving a $300 for the church - which is normal for a catholic ceremony. My question is how much do you give the priest as a gratuity? Thanks Ladies!!

• In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_missouri-st-louis_cost-of-church?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local Wedding BoardsForum:87Discussion:7a2ef990-c163-4faa-be5b-97ca4c7f7a89Post:47c4b9e8-3bf6-4df1-90ec-2758d5d20ab8">Re: Cost of church!?</a>:
    [QUOTE]My FI and I are getting married in a Catholic Church. We are giving a $300 for the church - which is normal for a catholic ceremony. My question is how much do you give the priest as a gratuity? Thanks Ladies!!
    Posted by kfexc9[/QUOTE]

He probably wouldn't take a grat. I would get him a giftcard to a nice restaurant or something else he'd enjoy.
    Lizzie
  • Our church (which includes the church, pastor and organist) total right at $1000.  I am unsure if I will be adding in gratuity as I feel as though this is very high.  We just love the inside of the church though - its gorgeous!
  • When I got married less than two years ago, I was absolutely shocked by what some chruches were charging for the deremony. After looking at countless churches fo various denominations. I found Trinity Lutheran Church in Soulard.  They charged $500. The church is breathtakingly beautiful and they were SOOOO nice to deal with. Pastor Dave made our ceremony so personal and was a dream to us. I cannot recommend this church enough. If the location works for you (they have their own parking lot too), I would look into it. btw, neither my husband nr I were Lutheran- it did not matter in any of the plans.
  • Every church I have talked to seems to be pretty high.  It's insane.  I never expected churches to be that expensive.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards