Florida-South Florida

Its inevitable

I wasn't sure if it would, but it happened.
I sent my invitations out on Monday and last night I got my first "Can I bring someone?"

It was a TEXT from my Aunt, my dad's sister asking if my 18 year old cousin could bring her boyfriend and that she "may" want to bring someone as well.

Ummmm sorry sister! Its not your choice, you were not invited with a date. The envelope didnt say Aunt Carol and guest. So I being the bigger (but not that much bigger) person CALLED her back and luckily got her voicemail. I explained that I was sorry but they could not bring their boyfriends and that if I made exceptions for them, I'd have to do it for everyone. That I wish it were a different situation and if I had all the money in the world I would have, but unfortunately thats not the case. I hope she can understand.

I wanted to wait to post this until after I responded to her so that other girls who have the same problem can see what I said to her. I will never understand where people get the balls to say what they do. 
Photobucket Wedding Countdown Ticker

Re: Its inevitable

• edited December 2011
    UGH! That was a great response though. I will have to keep that in mind! GL!
  • edited December 2011
    At least you got to hold out this long before you had to deal with it, right? Good girl for holding your ground, though :)
    DX stage 4 endo 4/2005 Lap #2 7/2007 Lap #3 8/2009 uterus, tubes & cul-de-sec fused. partial bowel resection. LUPRON :( Surprise BFP 4/2010 Layla Grace 11/17/2010 Surprise BFP 12/2011 - stick baby stick! THE BLOG Lilypie Second Birthday tickers Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • edited December 2011
    Good for you!!! That's a great way to handle the situation.
    :: Lynette & PJ :: 1.22.11 :: For Sale ::
  • edited December 2011
    Good response...I am proud of you for sticking to your guns!
  • edited December 2011
    handled very well.... I hope I'm as nice about it!
    image image imageLilypie Premature Baby tickers
  • murrc2murrc2 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Good job girlfriend, I had 4 or 5 of those, but as the no's rolled in my dad asked me to say yes...ugh...i didnt want to but since he helpes foot the bill I let it go, but only after our number dwindled around 120...
    image Cathy & Chris January 30, 2010 image Isabella and Olivia Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • clovonneptclovonnept member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Good for you! Someone had to step up and make the call and I think how you did it was perfect (and yay for voicemail!). I worried about this too, because I've heard stories of people being told they can't bring a guest...and then bringing them anyway! I couldn't think of anything ruder in the world. This whole process has really opened my eyes to the ettiquette in attending formal events. If I've ever slacked getting in my RSVPs in the past, you can believe that I'm not doing that after going through this myself!
  • twinkle82576twinkle82576 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I am sooo dreading this part. I def. do not have the social skills or class to handle it as nicely as all you ladies do. I know that even if I try to sound nice, they'll get the jist that I'm p/o.
  • questvcquestvc member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011

it really is inevitable.. which I dont understand why people make so difficult. But your response is exactly what I have been telling my guest also..

• Lacey36Lacey36 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    ugh, wow some people!! geez
    My Bio Photobucket Number Invited 152 image Number Attending 109 image Number Declined 43 image Number Not Replied 0 image RSVP Date June 30th Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • avmn10avmn10 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011

AWESOME Jillian, way to hold your ground!!!!  And talk about ballsy-she wants to bring her boyfriend AND a friend?! Wow!

• Kitty315Kitty315 member
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Great response! You handled it very well.. hopefully they get the hint and don't push the issue further.
  • edited December 2011

good for you honey pot - I would have been a huge pushover (hence my list growing since sending out my invites... uhhhh)

Way to stand your ground!!

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker imageBabyName Ticker
  • JillianLLJillianLL member
    edited December 2011
    Thanks girls! I knew you'd understand, and apparently so did she.
    She texted me back I completely understand, we're so excited blah blah blah!

So it went better than expected. Just being nice DOES go a long way hehe

You know what Court? I literally couldn't even if I wanted to. We simply don't have the room. 
  • cinthia122cinthia122 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I'm glad it went well Jillian.  I already have this problem and invitations haven't even gone out.  Some people just don't get it.
  • edited December 2011
    I'm sending them out now and even before we got alot of this - especially since were having cocktails and hors d'ouvres only.  It seems people think because were not having assigned seats/tables that they can bring whoever they want (including their 6 kids under 10 years old)
    image image imageLilypie Premature Baby tickers
  • edited December 2011
    we are starting to have this problem and our STDs just went out but its all with the parents that have much older kids, like that 15-17 range, and since its FIs 1st cousins i gave in.
  • daphnessdaphness member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Ugh!!!!   Jill- how exactly did you address the invite?  i think im gonna have a few problems too : /
  • JillianLLJillianLL member
    edited December 2011
    Carmen, I addressed the invitation

Ms. Carol Last Name
    Ms. Heather Last Name
    101 Ice Cream Drive
    North Palm Beach, FL 88888

I just loved the line "I may want to bring a date too." Oh really? Do you? 
  • edited December 2011
    Good job Jill!!  I'm glad you stood your ground.  I had to do that quite a few times...and it's amazing how far being nice about it goes.

However, one of DH's GM's brought 2 people (that DH specifically said no too) and our coordinator made them stay in the car for the ceremony and also made them stay in the hotel restaurant during the reception...there are always options if guests show up with dates/friends too (after they've been told no).
    BabyFetus Ticker
  • daphnessdaphness member
    edited December 2011
    Thats just crazy!!!  i cant believe people, I would neverrrrrrr!!!!!!  lol
  • edited December 2011
    Voicemail gives the bride the advantage to TALK, lol. You handed it very well!
  • zobo410zobo410 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Good for you J!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Secret619Secret619 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Thanks for posting this! it really gives me courage to grow the "balls" i don't have and tell people NO! lol.. I don't have to just yet, but I'm getting ready for it!
  • edited December 2011
    Good for you! 
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • bears4lifebears4life member
    edited December 2011
    You handled it really well! Now I know how to handle it when it happens to me...since as you say its inevitable!
  • atizonatizon member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    great response!!!! Luckily I had only 2 people call me or just crossed out the number of guests n the rsvp ti what they wanted...uuggghhhh....

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker image image
  • sambrefe67sambrefe67 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    um hi!!! 1. this is why i love you!!! 2. the way you said it was perfect! Atleast they called early, you got it out of the way and now if (& when) someone else asks you know what to say!!! =) havent been in the situation (im sure i will) i will be using you as my role model
  • edited December 2011
    VIA TEXT! Thats the part that kills me. Put that sassy foot DOWN jilly! lol
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards