Illinois-Chicago
Options

DJ Recommendations?? Or How do I start looking for a good one?

So I have no idea how to look for DJs - has anybody had a good DJ that they have used?  we are looking for a DJ that will play the current hit songs like on the mix, kiss and b96, classic pop hits (like justin timberlake - sexy back), and good wedding music like shout!

any help would be amazing!!! even where to start looking - THANKS AGAIN!

Re: DJ Recommendations?? Or How do I start looking for a good one?

• Options
    kag0215kag0215 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Weddingwire.com is really good for reviews. Also check with family members and friends who are married. Even if they got married awhile ago it helps. Just if it was awhile ago check to make sure that they still have good reviews.
    209 Invited image
    141 Can't Wait image
    19 Have Something Better To Do image
    49 Can't Find a Mailbox imageWedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    We used Al from Ameritune DJs for our September wedding, and we loved him!  He did our ceremony music too and did such a good job!  I have had several guests tell me that they really like him and a few that asked for his info.  He is really laid back, will let you pick as much or as little music as you want, but if you don't want to choose yourself, it's safe to say he'd choose the right songs to get the party going.   
  • Options
    ginavtobginavtob member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011

We are working with MusicbyDesign.  They were highly recommended and have been so great to work with.

• Options
    MrsPapsMrsPaps member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Toast and Jam...they are awesome and a lot of DJs to pick from.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    We are using Answer Back Entertainment. We seen them at a friends wedding and they we're great. Tim is the owner and our DJ. He is fun and friendly. They kept the floor packed and their light show was really good. They also do up lighting which we got from them as well in our package. Their website is http://www.abdjs.com/

Here is one of their videos: http://www.midwestvideoproductions.com/answer_back_entertainment.htm
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Booked Windy City Mix DJ's last week based on recommendations, seeing video of them, and after meeting with Rodrigo the owner & Johnny who will be our DJ. Really cool guys and really talented. We got in before 10/31 so we got their old pricing of $750 all-inclusive. www.windycitymix.com

ETA: They do have an online system where you can list your must/do not plays, etc.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    We booked with Fantastic DJs (www.fantasticdjs.com)

They have packages with reasonable prices, but they also provide awesome upgrades like special lighting, photobooths, etc.)

I really like them so far. Using them for our wedding in Dec.
    My Planning Website Tied The Knot on 12-4-10! Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    we are using okyne media lab...they were probably the only good thing that came out of the sardine packed bridal expo that we went to.  so far working with them has been phenomenal...my FI was very particular when it came to a dj and the type of music that they play and okyne has been so accomodating for us...they are definitely worth meeting with
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    toast and jam, toast and jam, toast and jam.

you can't go wrong...
  • Options
    Golfer09Golfer09 member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Highly recommend Style Matters - they have DJ nights at a bar or club where their dj's spin for a period of time so you can get a feel for their style.  Definitely gie Spencer (the owner) a call for more info.  We had Dustin spin for our NYE wedding and I got an MP3 recording of the set.
    Our wedding SDE: Our wedding Feature: PW=demo
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    our DJ is Don from XL Entertainment.   our photographer recommended him.  he's providing the sound system for the ceremony, but we have friends who are playing the music.  

music is a big part of lives and of our relationship, so we were pretty picky about our DJ.  we didn't want a lot of flashing lights and smoke machines, just someone who would keep the dance floor packed without imposing their personality on the party.  

We are really excited about Don!
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    We are using DJ Chicago. We heard them at a few bars in the City and loved their work. Mark is the owner and we loved him after our meeting.
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    pajarito81pajarito81 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Try Creative Sounds Chicago. I mentioned them to a few brides, I've heard them at a previous wedding I attended recently , seemed really experienced and professional.
    630-301-4946,  jorge@creativesoundschicago.com
    Mrs. F 9-18-10
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Toast and Jam! I've had a good friend use them and are booking them for myJune wedding. Great reviews online and 2010 The Knot Pick. Check out they're reviews and website.  A female owned company with mainly female DJs - one guy. Seems like a really great group of DJs.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I think it depends on your budget.  I see a lot of people reccomend Toast and Jam and Answer Back.

Like another Knottie that answered here...Im going with Big Don with XL Entertainment.  He was reccomended on these boards a few times before.  He was within my budget, and he's been great to work with so far.  Ive talked to him via phone twice, he answered all my questions, gave us a questionaire to fill out to get to know us even better, and is open to suggestion and wants to throw you a great party.

Ill know even more this weekend after my wedding!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards