Wedding Reception Forum

Need help with order of reception events.

I am having a low-cost wedding so its hard for me to compare my wedding to the weddings I have been to as far as what order things should be in. My reception is just a cake and sparkling cider reception. 

I was thinking it would go like this:
1. Arrive
2. First dance
3. Father-daughter dance
4. Mother-son dance
5. Cut the cake
6. (While cake is being cut) Flower toss
7. Garter toss.
8. Eat cake
9. Toast + Dad's prayer
10. Leave

I put the toast at the end because I thought it would be awkward to end on cake (all the wedding I've been to end after the party-type dancing as slowed down, but I'm not having that). However, it was driving my mom nuts that I had the toast at the end because its not "tradition". Although, I have since looked up tradition and tradition supposedly puts it after the meal, but what I read said its really up to what the bride and the groom feel is best.

So my mom thinks it should go like this:
1. Arrive
2. First dance
3. Toast
4. Father daughter dance
5. Mother son dance
6. cut cake
7. flower toss
8. garter toss
9. eat cake
10. dad's prayer
11. leave

So I'm not asking you guys to choose between me and my mom, because I could honestly care less, I just want my reception to flow smoothly. So I wanted second opinions on what sort of order I should do things in to make things flow. 

By the way, you don't need to choose either one of these plans, if you think something different would be better, go ahead and lay it out for me. And if you have any other questions, go for it.

Re: Need help with order of reception events.

• I would go with your first timeline (sorry Mom).  Also, does that mean once the toast and prayer are said that everyone has to immediately leave or are you allowing guests to talk and mingle for a bit.  I understand that you aren't having any dancing but I just think it would be weird if after the toast and prayer you and your groom were just like "Well, thanks for coming, bye!"

• i personally would toast and dads prayer before cake/ food
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_reception-ideas_need-help-with-order-of-reception-events?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:5Discussion:9d8d4138-5168-4362-96a2-b1f6dbbc914bPost:c7884d04-18b3-4e11-992f-9d2fdada9f9d">Re: Need help with order of reception events.</a>:
    [QUOTE]I would go with your first timeline (sorry Mom).  Also, does that mean once the toast and prayer are said that everyone has to immediately leave or are you allowing guests to talk and mingle for a bit.  I understand that you aren't having any dancing but I just think it would be weird if after the toast and prayer you and your groom were just like "Well, thanks for coming, bye!"
    Posted by Maggie0829[/QUOTE]

<div>We'll probably stop to socialize a couple of times throughout the event and the biggest social time would be after the cake is served. I was kind of thinking of the toast and prayer as a send off though.</div>
  • I'm not religous... but aren't you supposed to pray BEFORE food?
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_reception-ideas_need-help-with-order-of-reception-events?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:5Discussion:9d8d4138-5168-4362-96a2-b1f6dbbc914bPost:5e7e9d25-5841-419c-870e-9e1d024c786c">Re: Need help with order of reception events.</a>:
    [QUOTE]I'm not religous... but aren't you <strong>supposed to pray BEFORE food?
    </strong>Posted by Jinxed329[/QUOTE]

Oh, good point!  I didn't even think of that (not very religious here either).

I would suggest prayer before eating cake and then use the toast to thank everyone for coming (blah, blah, blah) but I really would not expect everyone to right then and there get up and leave as soon as the toast is over with.  Be prepared to socialize some more.

• I would move the toast and prayer up and do the cake cutting before the dancing.  So I would do

1. Arrive
    2. Toast
    3. Prayer
    4. Cake Cutting
    5. First Dance
    6. Father Daughter dance
    7. Mother Son Dance
    8. Mingle and enjoy your guests
    9. flower toss
    10. garter toss
    11. leave

I would do this so guests can be eating cake while you watch you dance.  It's nice to give them something to do during the 10-15 minutes that they have to watch other people dance.
  • Depends on the purpose of the prayer, if it was a prayer blessing the food then we'd do it before the meal, but because this is just a prayer over us as a couple, it doesn't really matter where it goes.

DramaGeek, I really love your suggestion, especially ending with the flower and garter toss. I pitched your idea to my mom and it was something we could both agree on. Thank you for the advice.
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_reception-ideas_need-help-with-order-of-reception-events?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:5Discussion:9d8d4138-5168-4362-96a2-b1f6dbbc914bPost:93a63b37-86aa-4750-a3c9-d17ec18dee31">Re: Need help with order of reception events.</a>:
    [QUOTE]I would move the toast and prayer up and do the cake cutting before the dancing.  So I would do 1. Arrive 2. Toast 3. Prayer 4. Cake Cutting 5. First Dance 6. Father Daughter dance 7. Mother Son Dance 8. Mingle and enjoy your guests 9. flower toss 10. garter toss 11. leave I would do this so guests can be eating cake while you watch you dance.  It's nice to give them something to do during the 10-15 minutes that they have to watch other people dance.
    Posted by DramaGeek[/QUOTE]
     good point, didnt think of that.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards