DC

Wedding cake that won't break the bank

We're going to have an enormous (400 people) wedding, but we'll only really need cake for about 120 people. We're on a tight budget, and would rather not spend too much on the cake. Does anyone have any recommendations for a good source of yummy but reasonably priced wedding cake? How are the grocery store cakes (and which local grocery stores do tiered wedding cakes)?

(Oh, and we're considering about getting a display cake for cake cutting and Costco sheet cakes for eating.)

Thanks for the tips and ideas! :o)

Re: Wedding cake that won't break the bank

• mayabearmayabear member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    just curious... is your reception 400 people? but you only want cake for 120 of them? or your reception is only around 120?
  • edited December 2011
    Ah, sorry for the confusion! The reception will comprise 400 people, but about half of them will leave as soon as dinner ends, and many of the remaining people will opt for fruit and traditional sweet rice cakes, which will also be available at the dessert table. My parents' friends and our relatives aren't big on "regular" cake...
  • mayabearmayabear member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Oh okay, gotcha. Well, I have no idea what breaking the bank means for you, but I can list three different places I've tried/heard good things about :) Most have listings of pricing on their sites, and if not I'm sure you can send a quick email. Hope this helps! :)

www.fluffythoughts.com

www.alexandriapastry.com

http://sites.google.com/site/berryfinebakery/ (the most inexpensive of the three)
  • edited December 2011
    We are using Cakes by Design.  $400 for a three tier cake with 75 slices to serve.
  • edited December 2011
    Try Cottons Cakes in MD.  Her cakes taste soooo good.  We had a tasting last week.  Her prices are really good too.  www.cottonsgourmets.com Good luck and happy planning.   
  • beelovelybeelovely member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    We are going with Kirsten's Cakery. Her cakes tasted good (though she was the only one we tried since we are on such a tight budget), and the price is right -- we are getting a 3-tier cake for 90 people, each tier a different flavor, for a total of $365 which includes delivery to downtown DC (which was admittedly a pretty hefty fee). She's been great to work with so far.
  • edited December 2011
    Thanks to everyone for the suggestions. I'm already looking forward to the cake tastings, yum...
  • edited December 2011
    I had my wedding in Annapolis and had the cake done by Grauls (a local supermarket there) but have heard good things about Wegmans. I haven't had wedding cakes from the Alexandria pastry shop, but I love their "regular" cakes.  And I think the sheet cakes from Costco are phenomenal!
  • psmith1216psmith1216 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    We are using Classic Bakery in Gaithersburg and we are getting a cake to feed 110 people and its costing $500.  We are getting 3 different layers/fillings, fondant, a specific design and delivery to DC.  They have a TON of cake and filling flavor options - you can find it on their website: www.classicbakery.com

GL!
  • edited December 2011
    We are right now between Victoria's Cakery in Fairfax and Unique Bakery in Burke.  Both are about $2.25/slice and both have very pretty cakes!

Good Luck! Innocent
  • edited December 2011
    We too are using Kirsten's Cakery. Kirsten is great to work with and the prices are so reasonable! We are paying less than 400 to feed 160 people. That is a three tier and a sheet cake plus delivery !! The tasting was delicious and we were convinced at first bite!!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards