Wedding Vows & Ceremony Discussions
Options

unity candle- other ideas?

what are some other ideas besides a unity candle or sand ceremony?

Re: unity candle- other ideas?

• Options
    Skip it.  IMO, the entire wedding ceremony IS a "unity ceremony", so having another is kind of redundant.

FWIW:  My DD was married in July and they didn't light candles, pour sand, mix wine, tie hands together, mix dirt, plant trees, or anything else.  Their ceremony was beautiful, and they're just as married as people who did do those things.

Anyway:  all of the things listed above have been mentioned on these boards.

GL
    "Trix, it's what they/our parents wanted. Why so judgemental? And why is your wedding date over a year and a half ago? And why do you not have a groom's name? And why have you posted over 12,000 posts? And why do you always say mean things to brides?" palegirl146
  • Options
    I second Trix.
  • Options
    My favorite part of our wedding was the sand ceremony. 

Like they said above, yes, its overdone.  Yes, the whole wedding is uniting you.  But if you want to do it, do it.

The minute or so we had the sand ceremony, we stepped to the side, and had a moment together.  We got some nerves out and laughed together, and then we prayed together afterwards.  It was beautiful to me and I got lots of comments from our guests about that portion of the ceremony.
    There is a clip of it in the video on the home page of my married bio.

• Options
    this is kinda spendy, but if you are a Christian, this might be an option.  I would totally do it if my FH liked the idea and we didn't already have our candle.

http://wedding-planning.getmarried.com/articles/index.php?id=470

It is a unity cross, and is pretty awesome I think. 
  • Options
    We're doing a salt covenant.  It's kind of like a sand ceremony, because you're mixing salt together into one bottle.  We like it because it's not done as often, and we like the meaning behind it.  In the Old Testament times, when two people were making a vow or contract they each would take a pinch of salt from their pocket and add it to the salt in the other person's pocket.  The vow was then considered unbreakable unless one of them could pick out each individual grain of their own salt from the other person's pocket.  In the marriage salt covenant, of course, you don't do the salt in each other's pockets... As I said earlier in the post, you just do it pretty like a sand ceremony.  There's also a few mentions in the Bible about a "salt covenant".  Of course, there's also nothing wrong with not doing a unity ceremony at all.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    We're getting married under two big willow trees on my family's farm, and we're planting a willow seedling together in a decorative pot, which will later be planted in the ground with the willow trees.  We're both very outdoorsy and nature-y, so I think it will be perfect.  Also, who knows if it will thrive, but if it does, I LOVE the idea of watching the tree grow on my parents' farm.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    What about the wine box thing?  You write letters to each other and put a bottle of wine in a wooden crate box and the officiant, you, FI, and your parents each put a nail in.  Open on your 10th, 25th, etc anniversary or in the event of stormy times to remember the love you shared--and hopefully still do.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards