Kentucky
Options

We are toooo slow!

This board moves a little too slow for my liking, and I want to get to know some of you:

1.) What's your favorite place to visit in KY?

2.) What's the best and worst thing about living in KY?

3.) (The all important question)
      WKU, UK, or UofL?
Image and video hosting by TinyPic Lilypie Pregnancy tickers

Re: We are toooo slow!

• Options
    Wrkn925Wrkn925 member
    5 Love Its First Comment
    edited December 2011
    And me:

1.) London for the Chicken Festival.

2.) Best- Low crimes, especially in my area. (Aside from a random Meth lab bust.)
    Worst-  Limited job opportunities.  Not to mention, my high school didn't exactly prepare us to be lawyers.  They trained us for vocational jobs and pushed Army.

3.)  UK, especially in Bball.  I graduated from WKU, so I root for them, unless they are playing UK. 
  • Options
    squirrlysquirrly member
    Name Dropper First Anniversary 5 Love Its First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Keeneland. 

Best - my family is there.
    Worst - The amount of redneck in some places is staggering, unfortunate, and the source for SO many stereotypes and horrible comments. 

UK.  Second choice is Murray.  :)

Buuuuttt, I don't live there anymore.  We moved to Boston in June.  It's definitely not the same.  I miss Papa John's, Sonic, a plethora of nice restaurants in Louisville, Chick-fil-A, family, friends, and my volleyball team (I was a coach). 
    DIY & Planning | Married 

Married: 2010
    Mom to J: 2011
    Mom to H: 2014

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Dresses may be easier to take in than let out, but guest lists are not. -- kate51485
  • Options
    Wrkn925Wrkn925 member
    5 Love Its First Comment
    edited December 2011

I hear ya on the stereotypes.  Our problem is SO many people fit them!

My favorite argument to shut a redneck up:

(This requires them to have a rebel flag bumper sticker, tattoo or shirt, but that's not hard.)

Tell them that Kentucky was the "France" of the Civil War.  Seriously, look it up, we didn't support the north or south. 

So, when they say it's about "heritage" you can call their BS.

I love how many dreams I've crushed with that. 

• Options
    edited December 2011

i have only been once and didn't get to see much, but it would have to be Mammoth Cave.

I like living in a small town and being in a place that isn't constantly on national news
                            I guess I would have to agree about the redneck thing. It really gets on my nerves, but it worse because most of the rednecks don't really live a lifestyle that "supports the redneck way"

WKU, UK, or UofL? 
                             I am not a big sports fan, but I would have to say UK

( on a side note: while Ky as a state did not take sides there were many familys and individuals who did.  I think that the hertiage excuse is silly, but to say that since the state didn't sides doesn't mean that their families didn't either.)
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    squirrlysquirrly member
    Name Dropper First Anniversary 5 Love Its First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Yeah, I don't know too many old families who didn't fall on one side of the line or the other.  Or both, depending.  PEOPLE chose sides. 

But, what I meant more than dealing with the stuff IN Kentucky, is being out of the state and having people bash it.  "You're from Kentucky?  Aren't you glad to not live there anymore?  Isn't it awful?  Everybody is dumb and dirty and has no shoes and shoots raccoons in their yards and has a rebel flag and eats fried chicken daily, right?  Right?"  That kind of thing.  It's unfortunate because there ARE people who fit those stereotypes, and they're the only ones on the freakin' national news.  Nobody "outside" is aware that there are plenty of normal people around in nice houses with good jobs and pricey footwear. 

Or, like the girl from NYC who posted on the Etiquette board one day last year. . . she was having a DW in Connecticut, I think, and her mother was AGHAST.  Where ever would they get their hair done?  The bride assured her mother that Connecticut has hair salons - after all, it's not like she was getting married in Kentucky or anything. 

Took every ounce of restraint I had not to ban her.  I did; however, biitch her out.  :)
    DIY & Planning | Married 

Married: 2010
    Mom to J: 2011
    Mom to H: 2014

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Dresses may be easier to take in than let out, but guest lists are not. -- kate51485
  • Options
    Wrkn925Wrkn925 member
    5 Love Its First Comment
    edited December 2011
    GRRR.... that would've made me mad.

You're right about the arguement, but it usually stumps them for a little bit, atleast.
  • Options
    ZachandMereZachandMere member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
         Love me a racetrack - either Churchill or Keeneland.  Can't beat the Bourbon Trail either!

Best - The true Bluegrass heritage.  My family has been here for generations and I love how no matter who you meet, you know a friend or relative of theirs.  I also love Southern manners and traditions!
         Worst - Definitely the stereotypes!

WKU, UK, or UofL?
         I'm a UK College of Agriculture grad so definitely have to go with BLUE!  My FI is a transplant, but I'm slowly making him a Wildcat!
  • Options
    RosemaryCBRosemaryCB member
    First Comment First Anniversary
    edited December 2011
    Definitely Natural Bridge State Park--especially in the fall.  We rent a cabin with our friends and just hang.  Churchill is a close second for the races anytime!

Best thing--the beautiful differences in the regional landscapes.  Worst thing--the HORRIBLE humidity in the summer!

WKU, UK, or UofL?
    I graduated from WKU, but don't care about sports or anything like that--plus I got all down and dirty and married an EKU boy!
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Love, love, looovveee Keeneland

Best: The people. I think, as a whole, we are the most hospitable states.

Worst: The stigma attached with living here...

WKU, UK, or UofL?
    UK!

ZachandMere when did you graduate, I am a 07 CoA grad! I loved that place definitley the best college at UK.
  • Options
    Wrkn925Wrkn925 member
    5 Love Its First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Yey!  There's been some KY people here lurking that  I haven't met.

Hi!

I graduated from WKU in 2006 and 2008. (Two associates, no bachelors....yet.)
    But I don't think I would know anyone from campus.  I mostly went took classes at the regional campuses and online.

I'm ashamed to say, I haven't been to many of the KY landmarks in a LONG time.  I haven't been in the caves or to Churchill downs since elementary school.

You know what I miss?  Guntown Mountain.  That was SO cheesy, but was the coolest thing ever when I was young.

And I still haven't been to Cumberland Falls.  I talk about going like 4 times a year, but something always happens.
  • Options
    sweetiegirl23sweetiegirl23 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Hello everyone!!

I am guilty to say that even though I have lived here for quite some time now, I have yet to explore all the greatness of KY. I think I would say that Cumberland Falls is a great area for hiking and horse back riding.

The best thing about living in KY for me would be my family and the beautiful area. I was raised in cities like L.A. and Tampa until I moved here my freshman year of high school. I was nervous about the area, but found that it was a beautful place and people are pretty friendly here.

For the worst thing I will have to agree with everyone on here that the comments and stereotypes about KY and how people think we are just a bunch of ignorant rednecks or we do not have any luxuries in life. Case in point, my father insisted I fly to California to pick out my wedding dress because there would be better options there than here in KY. I tried to explain to him I had just about the same options here as I would there.   Ugh!

WKU, UK, or UofL?

For me, our house bleeds red and blue. My fiance is a UK basketball fan, and I am a UofL football fan. :)
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    Wrkn925Wrkn925 member
    5 Love Its First Comment
    edited December 2011
    For you, Sweetiegirl

I've seen these license plates, and they always crack me up.
  • Options
    ZachandMereZachandMere member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I am a 2007 COA grad too!  I majored in Dairy Science and minored in Biology.  Small world after all... 

As I said above, got my BS at UK in 07 and finished a Masters in 09 from U of L (sorry Cats fans, but it was cheaper).  I now teach middle school science in Louisville and coach field hockey.  It keeps me busy and every once in awhile I have an "so that's why I do this" moment.  I'm getting married on 12/18/10 in Anchorage, KY (a suburb outside of Louisville) at Owl Creek Country Club.  I'm excited to get married, but this planning process has been a whole heck of a lot harder than I originally thought it would be!
  • Options
    KirstenlKirstenl member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Hello all you beautiful Kentucky Ladies!!!

I know Im a little late with everone replying but I wanted to throwdown with yall too.lol.

Fav Place...just driving around horse country, to beautiful foir words

Best thing bout KY...the people are friendly, as manying rednecks there are here theres more good ol country people. When you go down a old country rd and people are waving to you and you dont even know them it just makes you feel good.
           Of course worst is white trash. And not all white trash is in trailer parks...alot of them are in walmart lol.

Sports....UK all the way...but Im also a LSU football fan growing up down in Louisiana.Moved here when i was 10. But i consider myself a KY and LA girl...i mean come on Kentucky makes the bourbon then Louisiana names a street after it lol...and drinks it all lol.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards